Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ripping on a mac
Hello hello, first time poster, long time lurker, 

I have a question, does anyone know of model ripping softwares that work on a mac computer? I'm specifically looking to rip from 3ds games, but everything I find for that only works with windows.

I've considered trying to do the thing where you install windows onto a mac, but my computer is a bit old and doesn't have the space for me to do that. 

If there isn't anything out there, that's fine, I was just curious.
Thanked by:
Try using wine to run windows software without fully switching to windows.
Other than that i have no idea.
Thanked by:
Wink 
Well I've been trying to rip on a mac without using bootcamp and the only thing you can use is Wine. At the moment, I couldn't find Mac native rippers. I've tried two programs with wine and this were my results:
-Demolisher (Luigi's Mansion Model Viewer): Can be opened and nothing else. You can see the interface but when you go to File in order to choose one, the app crashes
-3DRipperDX (Basically you take a screenshot of your screen, but instead of capturing a photo, it gets everything rendered in scene. Made for 3ds Max, can work on other 3D editor programs such as blender by exporting as an .obj): The program can be successfully opened and you can interact with the interface. However the moment you try to run it it crashes. (BTW: DOESN'T WORK WITH OPENGL BASED GAMES, ONLY DIRECTX)

I will be adding more to this thread mainly because I think Mac users have a very hard time at everything, so making it easier would be very nice.

Also when it comes to PC ripping, it's significantly easier, since most formats can be opened with apps that aren't 5+ years old. An example of this would be to Rip Source Engine games.
Current Projects:

-Half Life: Opposing Force (PC)
-Half Life: Blue Shift (PC)
-Chibi Robo: Plug Into Action! (Gamecube)
-Dead Rising (X Box 360)
Thanked by:
Sad 
(08-05-2018, 01:01 PM)Skessler Wrote: -Demolisher (Luigi's Mansion Model Viewer): Can be opened and nothing else. You can see the interface but when you go to File in order to choose one, the app crashes
-3DRipperDX (Basically you take a screenshot of your screen, but instead of capturing a photo, it gets everything rendered in scene. Made for 3ds Max, can work on other 3D editor programs such as blender by exporting as an .obj): The program can be successfully opened and you can interact with the interface. However the moment you try to run it it crashes. (BTW: DOESN'T WORK WITH OPENGL BASED GAMES, ONLY DIRECTX)
Just tried some more rippers, and guess what
-BMD View 2 (The best ripper, rips most Wii games): Wine doesn't even open it.
-3D Via (Basically 3DRipperDx but for OpenGL): Wine doesn't even open it

The only thing you can do is rip PC games, and dump textures with Dolphin. If I find someone who was kind enough to make a native Mac ripper, I'll post it here. But lets be honest, That Won't happen.

If anyone knows or makes one, PLEASE post it here
Current Projects:

-Dead Rising (X Box 360)
Thanked by:
• As far as I know, the closest we Mac users ever got to a "native" model ripping method was a build of GLIntercept and OGLE a long time ago. It could rip polygons out from any 32bit application using OpenGL versions below 4.1. It was shit.
• BMDView has (had?) a Mac build, I vividly remember looking at Super Mario Galaxy models a decade ago on an iMac running OSX 10.5.
• Many Open Source tools can be built on Mac. If you have the macOS developer tools installed, you can use gcc to build native applications from source. I've had much luck compiling open source software from GitHub to fit my needs as a Mac user.

But even so, that's usually not enough, so in many cases you have to follow this flowchart:
1. Try Wine. If it does not work:
2. Try Codeweavers Crossover. If it does not work:
3. Try VMWare Fusion. If it does not work:
4. Try Boot Camp. If even this does not work, you must:
5. Buy a dedicated machine. This was my setup when I did my research on the Steam version of Umihara Kawase Shun, as it absolutely could not run in tandem with NINJA Ripper on any of the options listed above:
[Image: xWL37CT.jpg]
^ sorry for the shitty image, but essentially, I had my Mac hooked up to the two monitors on the right and the PC hooked up to my Mac through an Ethernet cable. The PC was a bottom-of-the-barrel netbook that could barely stay on, but it did exactly what I needed it to do – run DirectX and run NINJA Ripper. I pirated and installed the Tiny7 version of Windows and turned on full sharing on both machines and gave both full Write/Read access so everything was as smooth as possible. All my memory dumps/3D rips went straight to my Mac desktop for analysis, and all the edits I did were transfered immediately to the Windows side. Technically, this isn't "ripping on a Mac" but as I wanted to work as little as possible on Windows, I used it only for the "heavy lifting" and all my output analysis was done on macOS.

Lastly (though this is a non-solution for beginners) you can always write your own software. Tomba! and Tomba! 2 for PSX did not have a model exporter for any OS, but we did research on its model format so in the end I wrote a Python program that converts the game model files to OBJ. I also wrote a model converter to the Steam version of Umihara Kawase Shun. Whereas writing a model viewer is very difficult, writing a model converter is not. OBJ is a very common file format, so if you can convert your .whatever to .obj, you can use third party applications for Mac (Blender, Cinema 4D) to work with your self-generated OBJs.

The situation is much more forgiving on traditional sprite based game ripping, as most tools run on Wine or at least Crossover. There are many Open Source tools readily compiled for macOS too, and you can always build them yourself.
The tools I use the most as a Mac user are Tile Molester 0.19 (for graphics analysis and ripping), HexEdit (for general analysis), and TextMate2 (for writing my Python stuff).
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by:
(08-06-2018, 01:30 AM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: • As far as I know, the closest we Mac users ever got to a "native" model ripping method was a build of GLIntercept and OGLE a long time ago. It could rip polygons out from any 32bit application using OpenGL versions below 4.1. It was shit.
• BMDView has (had?) a Mac build, I vividly remember looking at Super Mario Galaxy models a decade ago on an iMac running OSX 10.5.
• Many Open Source tools can be built on Mac. If you have the macOS developer tools installed, you can use gcc to build native applications from source. I've had much luck compiling open source software from GitHub to fit my needs as a Mac user.

• I just did some research on GLIntercept and OGLE, and I could't find any native Mac version. Can the program at least run trough Wine? At the moment, their website has GLIntercept (Windows exclusive) and another software called "GLView", wich has a Windows, Mac, and surprisingly iPhone version. If this "GLView" thing has some similar/the same functions as GLIntercept, I Might give it a try and post my results here.
  • BMDView has no Mac version at the moment, and if it had one in an older website, I couldn't find it because the search results keep getting flooded with DVD rippers/Stuff with the same initials.
  • Thats actually very interesting, and I think i'll give it a try too.
Current Projects:

-Dead Rising (X Box 360)
Thanked by:
https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-27675...=mac+brres

I just found a very noob-friendly guide in here, and the best part is that the extractor is 100% native, since it works with the Terminal. It's using the SZS tools, and you will be able to rip most Wii and some GC games.

Don't forget to thank the guy who made the guide
Current Projects:

-Dead Rising (X Box 360)
Thanked by: Raccoon Sam
szstools is a part of the suite of programs that includes the original bmdview, actually. They can all be compiled on macOS. See http://www.amnoid.de/gc/
gcmtools also can be compiled on Mac. And of course quickbms but that's not by thakis
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by: Skessler
I'll add this usefull link to a tutorial on how to remove DS_Store files from .zip files. These are hidden junk files Mac OS adds to folders, they contain directory and icon information. However, if your zip contains one of this files, it will be instantly flagged. I had a lot of trouble trying to get rid of these files but I found this easy tutorial on the web. This is only for Mac users, hence why I post it here.

https://thewebsitedev.com/compress-folde...ore-files/

PS: There are two threads before this one that discussed this, however I'm posting here mainly because the thread is more Mac-focused
Current Projects:

-Dead Rising (X Box 360)
Thanked by:
I'd like to add to this thread because I was successfully able to rip entire models + textures from Wii Sports on my Mac. I basically just extracted the .carc files using the SZS tools previously mentioned in this thread, then opened up the BRRES files using the BRRES viewer with Wineskin (there are unofficial versions that work fine on Catalina). I was also able to find success in using Noesis (also with Wineskin) to view and export Path of Radiance models with the Fire Emblem plugins.

Thanked by: