Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
MegaMan Xtreme 2 Remastered
Looking forward to any further development on this. It would be great to play this on an actual Game Boy.
Thanked by:
Blast Hornet

[Image: 51jBBzI.png]

[Image: SgFxWGn.png]
Thanked by:
(06-25-2017, 05:09 PM)Corvus Wrote: Blast Hornet

Oh my gosh your sprite work is so good! I remember seeing this project a couple years back and I just remembered it and I've spent the last like, three days trying to track it down again. I'm so glad I found it. Xtreme 2 was basically my childhood. I freakin' loved that game as a kid. Glad to see it's getting the attention it deserves!
Thanked by: superiorzx1234
Overdrive Ostrich

[Image: icWDRfZ.png]

[Image: 2SDbKDY.png]
Thanked by:
(06-25-2017, 05:09 PM)Corvus Wrote: Blast Hornet

This is brutal, good choice of colors, sprites look really clean, go and do more, gonna be watching you.
Hmm....which one to tackle next....Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanked by:
Flame Mammoth?
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
(08-26-2017, 08:56 PM)Ton Wrote: Flame Mammoth?

Mammoth is already done.

Hmm....yeah, still drawing blanks.
Thanked by:
You could do Tunnel Rhino since you have that one sprite of him done.
Thanked by:
Righto. I needed to finish him off anyway. Thanks, Zerite!
Thanked by:
No problem, was wondering if you planned on updating the Bosses used in Boss Rush or if that was going to be an after thought.
Thanked by:
Making an engine based on the Xtreme games is not that difficult at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBE_cNiXv5k

I did it over 4 years ago in an afternoon. The only major hurdle I could see would be the boss fights.
Good luck with your sprite work! Looks pretty damn good overall.
Thanked by:
[Image: GMS5UyL.png]

Sorry for revive + double post(especially since it isn't my topic).
Had some free time on my hands.  Decided to take OP's recolor and try to add some SNES era "shading" to it.  Can be improved quite a bit by someone more with much more skill than what I can do.

I used DB32 palette(easy for me to work with) so the color isn't as red as Zero usually is.

Reason I did I did this is because I feel a remaster should be much more than a "recolor" though I guess adding some basic old shading isn't much better.
(09-08-2017, 07:27 PM)Zerite Wrote: You could do Tunnel Rhino since you have that one sprite of him done.

(10-23-2017, 08:24 AM)Theforeshadower Wrote: [Image: GMS5UyL.png]

Sorry for revive + double post(especially since it isn't my topic).
Had some free time on my hands.  Decided to take OP's recolor and try to add some SNES era "shading" to it.  Can be improved quite a bit by someone more with much more skill than what I can do.

I used DB32 palette(easy for me to work with) so the color isn't as red as Zero usually is.

Reason I did I did this is because I feel a remaster should be much more than a "recolor" though I guess adding some basic old shading isn't much better.

Don't be sorry. I should be sorry for not posting sooner.

There's a very specific reason why I ditched the idea of extreme detailed shading for the reworked sprites. Quoting from the Xtreme 2 wiki page on MMKB:

Illustrator Haruki Suetsugu was responsible for designing the games characters and Japanese packaging. Feeling that Game Boy cartridges packages were to small for illustrations with lots of detail, Suetsugu decided to go with bold simple close-ups of the main characters to convey the games main attraction, the ability to play as X and Zero, and to show that they would be joined by Iris.

I wanted to follow that idea alongside the motif of a super enhanced Game boy color, and follow the limitations I set in order to give a sense of authenticity, which is 8 colors per sprite, not including transparency. If you ask me, It has made this project alot more interesting.
Thanked by: supersmashball
All good then.  I still stand by what I said about a Megaman X/Zero Engine being pretty easy.  I hadn't touched my code in years(lost the source).
Gave it another go using my edit and yours for frames I hadn't done, Tiled to do some X2 tiles over the Xtreme 2 intro stage, then some other small edits and a resolution change.

[Image: rasSzxp.png][Image: Upn0pqj.png]

Actual screenshots, not mockups.  Full working health bar, full platformer controls(jumping, dashing, wall sliding, X2 Zero style 3 attack combo, and a modified X4 health bar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxlUuGheYU  is the track I used because once the main sequence kicks in, sounds so much like the Xtreme 2 version than X2 version.

Anyway, only took a couple hours to toss it all together.  The biggest time consuming process if you really tried to put something together is going to be reworking the tiles(if you even did that). Level based platformers are pretty cut and dry for programming, especially ones without RPG stats to handle.  Boss fights could be the hardest challenge but then again, you are just programming different states of an artificial stupidity(intelligence).  Pretty easy as well if you make sure you get all your ducks lined up properly with object inheritance.

Lol.  Guess I nerded out a bit there.  Tongue

Also, your quote that you pulled for reasoning is literally about the game's box art. Nothing to do with the sprites. Just saying. The quote has nothing to do with sprite limitations in the GBC.
Don't get me wrong, I get that you am imposing limitations, which is fine. Just your quote has nothing to do with that. Wink