Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Broken Characters
It doesn't take any additional space - it's the same set of files showing up in both places. It's just confusing for navigation. Like in this case, for instance, the PS2 doesn't actually have any games under the # section but because Okami is showing up there, it does.
Thanked by:
Ōkami is supposed to be written with Ō. It's a doubled O sound (おおかみ) and removing it would mean it's read おかみ which means Landlady

Unless you're ok naming the game "Landlady" then I guess you can remove the diacritic.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
We wouldn't be in the minority of sites that call it Okami, so i don't see an issue with it. I feel like this one game shouldn't be causing any issues if it can be avoided, and it seems like a reasonable way of solving the problem.

Nobody is going to read it and say "Oh, what the fuck is this game? I'm looking for Ōkami."
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Garamonde, puggsoy, Ton
(09-16-2016, 07:39 AM)Gors Wrote: Ōkami is supposed to be written with Ō. It's a doubled O sound (おおかみ) and removing it would mean it's read おかみ which means Landlady

Unless you're ok naming the game "Landlady" then I guess you can remove the diacritic.

[Image: 147429080258335?3486057292]
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
I like the idea of a sun goddess role playing a landlady so I removed the accented O. Thanks for the input everyone!
Thanked by: psychospacecow, Ton
If you can arbitrarily remove Ōkami's macron to make it Okami then I guess you can simply remove all instances of diacritics in all games and sheets. There is no point keeping the accent in Pokémon but not in Ōkami - but I guess it would be so much trouble to implement correct naming of the things

I should've seen this coming from an English-based catalog
Thanked by:
If you had actually read the post I brought it up in, you'd realize this is anything but arbitrary. It's an extremely specific edge-case that came about because the regular expression engine in MySQL does not handle multi-byte characters well and, as a result, was causing a duplicate (and incorrect) entry for the game to appear. This is only a problem when the first letter of a game's name is an accented character - accents in literally any other position in the word have no impact on display and can (and should) therefore be left in-tact.
Thanked by:
I mean, we ARE catering to a mostly-English speaking audience. English doesn't have the accents and stresses on those letters., and most of the users aren't too concerned with it. Maybe Pokemon gets a pass because it's more iconic? Pokemon is also perfectly acceptable as a spelling to most English speakers.
Thanked by:
In everyday talk it's ok not to write correctly, but it's a catalog site you're programming, you're supposed to be accurate, it's on the game cover. You brushed off my complain as if it was nothing, and thought it was amusing to write Ōkami without the macron because of the "witty" pun up there.

accents are a thing, they exist for a reason, and i'm sure you're not limited to ascii characters for a 2016 internet site, I believe
Thanked by:
It's not incorrect in the language the site is coded, written, and hosted in.
That said, it doesn't hurt to add it, but that's not my call.

Ever hear of the mountains/molehill idiom? This isn't the most dire thing to ever happen. Just make your case. People are going to play devil's advocate or disagree. It's the most natural thing on earth.
Thanked by:
I'm pretty sure I've not brushed anything off here. In fact, I made a huge push and some significant upgrades to finally properly support accented characters - something we've never been able to do before. I agree that accuracy is important and it's why I said to begin with that we should edit them in where appropriate.

However, you do seem to be brushing off a valid counter-argument so let me spell it out again. The dropping of the Ō character from this particular game was proposed to solve a problem with no other solution. This is no longer a matter of accuracy or respect for the language. It's not catering to English or non-English speaking visitors. We're not limited to the ASCII character set any more - the entire site, front and back, is running on UTF-8. The problem is that MySQL's regular expression engine, which is required for the queries generating the letter bar, is not UTF-8 enabled. It behaves unpredictably with multi-byte characters (which accented characters are) and, in this case, is returning it as both a special character (not in the range of [a-z]) and a normal letter ("o", after transliteration of the lowercase Ō). There is literally no way to fix this short of removing the accented character or waiting until the MySQL team update the encoding for their REGEXP selector. To avoid confusion, I've chosen to remove the accent from the O until such a time that multi-byte character handling is improved. The fact that I did so while referencing a silly image was just to lighten the tone a bit.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Ton, SuperFlomm
Everyone needs to just lighten up a little, too... Jesus christ. It's a videogame name that was already incorrectly represented. If you can get upset about that, then I think that says more about you than our "inability to address complaints".
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Ton, Garamonde
okay fine, good enough

Then at least is it possibleto make it Ookami with doubled Os, as it's the same as the macron O?
Thanked by:
https://www.models-resource.com/pc_compu...del/13681/

I recently noticed that this models name changed from Pirate’s Skullspike to Pirate’s Skullspike
Thanked by: Petie
(09-19-2016, 01:20 PM)Gors Wrote: okay fine, good enough

Then at least is it possibleto make it Ookami with doubled Os, as it's the same as the macron O?

I just now saw your edit for the first time. Double Os, while technically pronounced correctly at that point, is definitely less correct than a single, unaccented O.

(10-19-2016, 01:33 AM)ElyosOfTheAbyss Wrote: https://www.models-resource.com/pc_compu...del/13681/

I recently noticed that this models name changed from Pirate’s Skullspike to Pirate’s Skullspike

Fixed!
Thanked by: