Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
SUPER SMASH BROS. FEUD - BIG update in latest post.
Wink 
SUPER SMASH BROS. FEUD, the 3D Unity Smash fangame, is now in development!

[Image: xFaAPCu.png]

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmashBrosFeud
GameJolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/smashbrosfeud/502753

Super Smash Bros. Feud, as some may remember, will be a large-scale, full-on Smash fangame built from the ground up. The entirety of the game code will be written by myself, except for a class or 2 for input and music. Input-wise, the game will use XInput, meaning you can use PC controllers like the XBox360 for Windows or Logitech controllers! The music code is to make it loop like in the original games.

The goal with Feud is a) To live my fantasy of making my own Smash game, and b) to learn new stuff about gamedev (modelling/texturing/UV mapping, and particles and shaders, etc.)

CONTENT:
I am keeping most of the game a secret, as far as playable fighters are concerned. I've worked on two stages thus far. Feud will have A LOT of content: a large character and stage roster, lots of music, trophies and collectibles, movies, etc.

I will be creating lots of new assets to minimize use of ripped resources as much as humanly possible. There will be new fighters/animations, new UI elements, new original music and remixes, and a whole plethora of new stuff. Feud was designed to be a fan-made successor to the previous Smash Bros. game.

Fighter Roster:
Returning Fighters
-Mario (Super Mario series)
-Link (The Legend of Zelda series)
New Challengers
-TBA!

Stage Roster:
-Peach's Castle (N64)
-(COMING SEPTEMBER 6, 2021!)
-MORE TO COME!

Other:
TBA!

MUSIC:
A lot of music will be in here. I'm aiming for at least 1000 songs, both returning and brand new! The game will feature a new musical Main Theme, which I've composed myself!~ Big Grin

A lot of planning was done, and I'm developing/implementing ideas as I come up with them. The fighter roster is pretty much final.

Screens (Imgur album, empty for now, but check back once in a while!)
(12-29-2015, 03:11 PM)TabuuForteAkugun Wrote: Development originally started on RPG Maker XP, then VX and VX Ace, before finally landing on Unity for a variety of reasons.

I'm actually wildly curious how RPG Maker would've even worked for something like this.

Does RPG Maker support Action RPG things now that allows you to make like, 2D-ish jump-around-and-do-things kind of fights like in KH Chain of Memories? O_o
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
(12-29-2015, 04:05 PM)Kosheh Wrote:
(12-29-2015, 03:11 PM)TabuuForteAkugun Wrote: Development originally started on RPG Maker XP, then VX and VX Ace, before finally landing on Unity for a variety of reasons.

I'm actually wildly curious how RPG Maker would've even worked for something like this.

Does RPG Maker support Action RPG things now that allows you to make like, 2D-ish jump-around-and-do-things kind of fights like in KH Chain of Memories? O_o

To be honest, RPG Maker was going okay. I was going to script the gameplay myself. The VX Ace project made use of absolutely nothing from the default engine.

I always wanted to make a 3D-based game, though.
I'm an opera-crossover singer undergoing classical voice training and I'm also making Super Smash Bros. Feud.

Discord: kold_virus
Thanked by:
It's completely possible to make a Super Smash Bros. with RPG Maker XP and VX Ace, due to the use of Ruby. It's not practical, but it does give you an RPG framework for whatever purpose you'll need.
Big sigs are for scrubs.
Thanked by: miyabi95_, recme
sounds good,don't forget about half-life 2 episode 3 characters from concept art
Thanked by: Kold-Virus, recme
Haha, pretty funny. XP

Currently making the file saving and loading functions. I'd have snapshots to show but it's only the inner workings ATM. I do have stuff attached though:

I realize that I'm working on the wrong thing after saying I wanted to focus on playability. lol I will make a debug menu for the game right afterward. No guarantees it won't be dummied out though XD

So! Most assets I need are there, I'm only missing a few models, songs and things. Tomorrow I intend to finish the main theme, and record the vocals later. It's, in case you haven't noticed, inspired by Brawl's main theme with vocals.

I installed Adobe Premiere CS6 to edit cutscenes/movies and I use Audacity for sound.
I'm an opera-crossover singer undergoing classical voice training and I'm also making Super Smash Bros. Feud.

Thanked by:
I suggest you changing the logo, it's doesn't look professional (especially the red-yellow gradient).
But I encourage you.
Thanked by:
The logo is not final.

I began working on a test stage and some animations. Later I'll start to work on my first character and his physics, collisions and actual attacks. Until I get an .OMO viewer for Smash Wii U, for some veterans, I will be using Brawl animations and recreating them in Unity. Others will have to wait, and a few veterans will get completely remade and will look nothing like their "official" counterparts. I began a debug menu, which I will port over to the new project. Just need to fix the music playback system and then get cracking on being able to spawn fighters, items and stages when needed / requested.

I had to restart the project because some things in the original one started to get buggy. I started this on Unity 4, I'm on 5.3.2p4 now.

I kept code and assets from the original files. In this "new" version (if you can call it that), I will import assets only as I need them instead of rushing to cram everything into the project right away. Maybe then, after I'm done working, if new assets I need are released / ripped / made, I can put them in later. I want to release a demo of this thing, and I'd like to pull a Sakurai and not leak content (as little of it as possible till I reveal it. Genki ^_^

I redesigned my test stage, and I'm showing it with lighting/shadows.

[attachment=6164]

My plan is to whip up 5 fully-playable characters, 2-3 complete stages (not including the test one) and create the demo first, put it aside, then after more work, make a first trailer.

So until I have more, see ya!

Thanked by:
If Pac-Man is going to be included ((at least at some point)), Can he represent his Pac-Man World incarnation more? I even have been ripping sounds from the games and am willing to help.
Thanked by:
I have found many issues with Unity 5.
Many compatibility problems, more slow, more complexified.
Exemple : when I bake lightmaps, unity close !
The only good point are PBR shaders.
Thanked by:
The only thing I dislike about Unity 5 is the standard shader. There's no way to customize it for your needs like adding a cubemap. And I despise writing custom shaders. For the characters' metal materials, I had to use the legacy reflective specular shader, which I don't know how long it will be supported for.

The dev process is a whole lot of fun. I think the reason building was so slow was because of my old project's huge Resources folder.

(02-24-2016, 10:48 PM)SuperMario123311 Wrote: If Pac-Man is going to be included ((at least at some point)), Can he represent his Pac-Man World incarnation more? I even have been ripping sounds from the games and am willing to help.

Thanks/ I won't comment on the roster for the moment, but I'll keep that in mind.

Thanked by:
You can specify a cubemap in the lighting window.
Now I can do nothing with Unity 5 after my upgrade to Win10, it is doing me an error for compiling.
And in my precedent project, I had to reimport all the assets.
Thanked by:
Wait, I can? Lmao it would have made my life SO much easier... That shader confuses me. Tongue

Thanked by:
What is LMAO ?
Thanked by:
LMAO = laughing my ass off.

Okay, as I started to say, I am working on getting fighter data such as stats, metadata and flags into classes that'll fit in a list of "slots" like the real thing.

Coding is going great and so is animation. I have one fighter almost all set up, including animator / some animations, colliders, AudiiSources (2: one for SFX and one for voice, so that two sounds don't cancel each other out since Sources can only play one sound and soon-to-be script. In matches only, a special class, Player, will be assigned Fighter instances to allow control. i just realized one of my yet to be included fighters will need to have their model completely re-rigged. so I'll work on that asap. I'll fix a few bone placements while I'm at it. Many models still need to be made and implemented, but I have most of my roster's models ready, rigged and textured. Right now I'm working on one character and stage at a time. (first fighter and test stage, in this case)

I also have two songs to work with right now: my main menu theme, composed by myself, and my fighter's victory theme. I also have to find out why the heck XInputDotNet's not working anymore. As I said, for now I'll code keyboard controls just to work out kinks in the game, and will later re-implement XIDNP once those bugs are worked out.

The only other thing I'd love to do, but it's a complete after thought, is to learn how to create, and use, my own proprietary file formats.

So yeah. I'll get back to work, and the minute I have more to share, count on me. Wink

EDIT:

I am a great big idiot. Fixed my XInput issue. XP Turns out I was passing incorrect values to the GamePad object's constructor. It was returning False all the time because Pad 1 was skipped over and that's why it was never initialized. I had to change my If statement to check for 0, 1, 2, 3 instead of 1, 2, 3, 4. I forgot that the internal plugin's "One" is actually zero. haha.

Thanked by: