Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Texture Remix (my image manipulation tool) - v1.2.0
Star 
Remember that gift I promised everyone for Christmas? It's finally finished!

[Image: LmhCZj.png]

Texture Remix (Beta 1.2.0) - Feb. 18, 2018

Source Code on GitHub

This is Texture Remix, a tool I whipped up to help people convert compressed textures ripped from modern games. Most people here who have ripped or downloaded models from an Xbox, PS3, or modern PC game have no doubt seen shadowy transparent normal maps or technicolor images that look like they are important but can't be used.

This is where Texture Remix comes in. It allows you to re-map the color channels of an image without having to do crazy Photoshop magic. When you load an image (or images) into the tool, you have access to all four channels of the image. You can then map them in any fashion to a new image. You can also split the image into four separate channel images or combine multiple images together. Up to four different images can be generated at once. I've included tutorial images inside the archive to demonstrate how to use the tool.

Keep in mind, this is a beta version. This is my first Java program, and I had to (re)learn Java just to make it. There are some features I wanted to implement that I just couldn't pull off with my current skill level. I've put the source code up on GitHub for those of you who are interested in helping out.

If you are interested in helping me develop and improve this tool, please let me know, because otherwise it probably won't get any better than it currently is.

Fancy Demonstration image!
[Image: 9kyEHQO.png]
(textures are from Sonic Generations and Halo: Combat Evolved)
This is beautiful.
Nice job Cute

Edit: I'd actually like to contribute to this Smile
Thanked by:
Wow! This is amazing news! Awesome work, Peardian!
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
Thanks, everyone! I hope you're finding it useful so far. Big Grin

(02-16-2015, 10:37 PM)ThatTrueStruggle Wrote: Edit: I'd actually like to contribute to this Smile

Oh, you know Java? It would be great if you helped out. Would you support it being up on GitHub?

Send me a PM and we can work out the details. Just as a heads-up, you'll have to use the NetBeans IDE.
Thanked by: FaceRift
(02-21-2015, 01:13 PM)Peardian Wrote: Thanks, everyone! I hope you're finding it useful so far. Big Grin

(02-16-2015, 10:37 PM)ThatTrueStruggle Wrote: Edit: I'd actually like to contribute to this Smile

Oh, you know Java? It would be great if you helped out. Would you support it being up on GitHub?

Send me a PM and we can work out the details. Just as a heads-up, you'll have to use the NetBeans IDE.

Of course I would support it being on GitHub! Source code helps everyone to learn Smile
And yeah I know a bit of Java, not too much different from C# which I also know.
I'll be sending a pm soon in regards to this Smile
Thanked by: Ton
Oh. This is just a channel swapper. I'd thought maybe you had an app that would be able to convert normal maps between spaces (Pokémon X/Y/OR/aS use Object space for their normal maps, but tangent space is loads more common).
Thanked by:
(02-27-2015, 10:58 AM)Tiberious Wrote: Oh. This is just a channel swapper. I'd thought maybe you had an app that would be able to convert normal maps between spaces (Pokémon X/Y/OR/aS use Object space for their normal maps, but tangent space is loads more common).

That kind of thing is impossible without referencing the original model's geometry, and is even further impossible if the model reuses UVs (like Pokémon).
Thanked by:
What the...

Please don't post like this again, it's just seen as really spammy.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
             /_▄︻し┻┳═一(いち)(いち)  ┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨
[Image: tumblr_mr2bjoHi1v1qh8espo1_400.gif][Image: NfIxSTK.gif]
Thanked by:
Are you find with people giving you suggestions to add to the program? Because I have a suggestion.
Thanked by:
Suggestions are nice, yes, though keep in mind that there are features I have designed / planned for that have not been implemented yet due to my lack of Java skills. This includes things like better drag-and-drop support, loading multiple files from the file chooser, the ability to remove already-loaded input images, showing thumbnails of the input images, and a place to click for setting R/G/B at the same time.
Thanked by:
Okay. My suggestion is that you can convert normal maps to the format that the game uses, so you can probably make mods for the game with proper normal maps for the game.

I doubt that anyone is going to use that feature but it's always nice to ask.
Thanked by:
There's two ways I could interpret that.

If by format you mean the file format used by other games, that is not going to happen. There are a large amount of proprietary image formats out there, and it would be foolish to try and add conversion support for them all when there are tools out there already for that exact purpose.

But if by format you mean how, for example, Wii games like Sonic Colors have their normal maps spread between the color and alpha channels... well, that's exactly what the tool was made for, and you can already do that. All you need is an understanding of how the game engine stores their normal maps.
Thanked by:
it doesnt work. my MacBook Air says it cannot be opened and it has a few errors
Thanked by:
So, from the OP, I'm assuming this means that any kind of normal map can be produced by this tool, as long as it uses similar channel mapping. The question therein becomes "what kinds of channel maps do Sonic Generations use, and how do I convert them to something OpenGL-friendly, since I don't understand how either parses normal maps?"
3DS FC: 2105-8909-0435
NNID: MandL27
Thanked by:
(03-08-2015, 08:53 PM)MandL27 Wrote: So, from the OP, I'm assuming this means that any kind of normal map can be produced by this tool, as long as it uses similar channel mapping. The question therein becomes "what kinds of channel maps do Sonic Generations use, and how do I convert them to something OpenGL-friendly, since I don't understand how either parses normal maps?"

Not quite. You can only use it to convert normal maps from things that are already normal maps with different channel mapping. I included a tutorial image in the zip that gives the basics of Normal maps and how to use the program. I haven't worked with OpenGL personally, but I'm sure that it uses the common type of normal maps.
Thanked by: