Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
beat 'em up!!
rebooted as a tiny bmup.

[Image: HgLg5uP.gif]
[Image: tumblr_inline_n9o0sqrPOA1qjts5b.gif]

now also a collaborative project. sprites make by other folks on tumblr (all of which minorly/majorly edited by me to match the style set in my sprites, except for gatsby [2nd from the left] and tellis [6th from the left] who were most recently edited by their respective creators, and gsgal [4th from the left] and mit [7th from the left] who were fully done by me):
[Image: rqMSLu3.png]

animated idles for a few of them:
[Image: Gkv9JYp.gif][Image: a3yJrNk.gif][Image: HyS7sRc.gif]
looks neat Big Grin
Thanked by:
[Image: LK0pDqK.gif]
[Image: tumblr_inline_n9ww862Sl01qjts5b.gif]

recent stuff

also, spiny walk (spiny made it originally, i made big edits to it afterward):
[Image: SJdxhHg.gif]

i guess spiny's going for a sort of only-half-in-control character
Thanked by: Virt, mister R, Paladin, recme, Zadaben
[Image: tumblr_inline_n9zfhufi4q1qjts5b.gif]
[Image: tumblr_inline_na0umdd9il1qjts5b.gif]

started work on gsg's sheet since she doesn't do pixel art.

[Image: ESP5yLQ.png]

heads-up display and game resolution mockup. contrast with the heads-up display mockup from old bmup:

[Image: hjPFldd.png]
Thanked by: Mit, Virt, Gwen, Paladin, Zadaben, Shade
[Image: Cxo48r9.png]
Can I do this
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

Thanked by: Crappy Blue Luigi
the spiel i've been giving out on tumblr (to a surprising amount of people) is as follows:

the roster is tumblr friends only, but you can be an enemy or a boss if you'd like to give it a try.

nice sprite, by the way! i'd recommend a different background color for readability, something like this:
[Image: 6JmfchF.png]
i also made some minor edits to the limbs for consistency in length and shape.
Thanked by: Zadaben
[Image: tumblr_inline_na4pkfB8cO1qjts5b.gif]
[Image: tumblr_na51mipW1y1ql1cepo1_r1_250.gif]

no time to apologize for double-posting, too busy running and doing cool midair somersaults

QUICKEDIT: also possible kevin idle
[Image: oHSmC3Q.gif]
i made this, inspired by axel stone's idle animation from streets of rage 3/bare knuckle 3:
[Image: DFHSvLs.gif]
Thanked by: Virt, Iocus, Tellis, Gwen, Quirby64
[Image: qbeu_by_quirbstheepic-d7uqcgi.png]

I know I would have to be an enemy or something to be in this, but I just made a sprite in the style. (I shan't be an enemy by nerp, nor a boss)

(Also yes this post is somewhat pointless because of that)
c e r t i f i e d   m e m e l o r d .
>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM0jv_z...IciomDGEmQ << you should check this out
Thanked by:
(08-06-2014, 08:48 PM)Crappy Blue Luigi Wrote: [Image: tumblr_inline_n9ww862Sl01qjts5b.gif]
The only thing that looks a little odd with this one is that the arms/hands just appear on top of the head, and then back on the shoulders. Couldn't they just stay on the shoulders, or at least, transition on and off the head?
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by: Crappy Blue Luigi
(08-11-2014, 03:40 PM)Koh Wrote:
(08-06-2014, 08:48 PM)Crappy Blue Luigi Wrote: [Image: tumblr_inline_n9ww862Sl01qjts5b.gif]
The only thing that looks a little odd with this one is that the arms/hands just appear on top of the head, and then back on the shoulders. Couldn't they just stay on the shoulders, or at least, transition on and off the head?

i was going to reply sooner, but i can't seem to get gifcam on my laptop (i'm out of town right now) so i had to find a video for reference.

crappy's vault animation is directly based on the vault animations from streets of rage 1-3. linked here is adam from sor1 vaulting over an enemy.

i thought my animation looked off when i made it, but i figured it was okay enough. turns out i really didn't reference the gameplay enough, though; i just looked at the sprites and took inspiration from their posing. going by the video, the animation is a lot smoother, and i can see a few reasons why--one of them is that adam vaults over the enemy's shoulders, not his head.

[Image: OuaHqZ7.gif]

does this look better?

(08-11-2014, 03:16 PM)Quirby64 Wrote: [Image: qbeu_by_quirbstheepic-d7uqcgi.png]

I know I would have to be an enemy or something to be in this, but I just made a sprite in the style. (I shan't be an enemy by nerp, nor a boss)

(Also yes this post is somewhat pointless because of that)

here, have some mario hat references:
[Image: y5Ff3FF.png]

characters in bmup are going to have one alt costume each, and crappy's, gatsby's, and mit's all happen to be mario-ish... or just plain mario.

(gatsby's alt isn't a reference to you, by the way; his creator, kev, used to have a character who was a white kirby with a full mario suit. his alt is also not final, as kev isn't sure he's going to go through with the reference)
Thanked by: Virt, Shade
[Image: tumblr_inline_ncg9ecSvcr1qjts5b.gif]

i guess for me the week before school means going back to work on projects i haven't touched in a month+ instead of getting prepared for classes and getting my stuff together to move

if you're observant, you might notice poses used in this animation that are taken straight from other animations and edited slightly (or not at all)
i've been trying to get into the habit of reusing sprites to save on time spent making animations. in a way, i think this works in my favor, since it might give off a feeling similar to older games that did the same thing.
Thanked by: Tellis, Mit, TomGuycott
That looks so smooth and nice! It's inspired by SMW right?
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
i would say it's more inspired by espio's jump animation in knuckles chaotix:

[Image: dvm4xHM.gif]

EDIT: in the time between posting this and the time of this writing, i did some more stuff:

[Image: tumblr_inline_nchmxruulN1qjts5b.gif]

crappy's full idle animation, including "bored" frames

[Image: tumblr_inline_nchqsc5rCH1qjts5b.png]

crappy's portrait. will definitely be used on the character select screen, might be used in cutscenes if i have any.
Thanked by: Mit
i decided i'm definitely using the character select portraits for cutscenes, so i did a full range of expressions for crappy's portrait:

[Image: bjxidbj.png]
(second from the left is the "selected" portrait for the character select screen)

mit also made a portrait for himself and did all of the expressions for it:

[Image: dW1Q4u3.png]
(mit's "selected" portrait is third from the left)

lastly, a tentative logo for the project + support button!

[Image: nCMVLu8.png]

put this image in your signature with a link back to this thread if you'd like to support and bring attention to bmup!
Thanked by: Mit
sorry for so many posts in a row, but i wanted to post this before i forgot!

[Image: tumblr_inline_ncj7keElrm1qjts5b.gif]

this is crappy's run special, "star walkin'," which came from the idea of crappy using yo-yos as weapons. i mainly took inspiration from mit drawing art of crappy tossing a yo-yo, but i guess he got that from my kick move in tFR.