I promise I will be the best judge ever
Thanked by:
I'll take you as a last resort. Wink
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
(I promise to let you win)
one of the challenges for the experienced people should be mspaint default colors only
[Image: mspaintpalette.png]

nightmare mode: 16-color challenge using only the eyeburningly ugly first 16 colors
[Image: 16colormspaintpalette.png]
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
Let's be honest. Only the bottom half of that is eyeburning.
(06-13-2011, 03:38 PM)Vipershark Wrote: one of the challenges for the experienced people should be mspaint default colors only
[Image: mspaintpalette.png]

nightmare mode: 16-color challenge using only the eyeburningly ugly first 16 colors

Agreeing with x0.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
itt pugnificent is mr satan

News: We now have a fifth judge! We're getting there!

That looks interesting, Vipershark. I'll give it a think about what I could combine it with!

Thanked by: Zac, Alex
(06-13-2011, 03:40 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: What if they don't use MS Paint (I use PSP 7, as an example)? Very Sad
dont worry you wont be in expert
We now have six judges. Big Grin

Thanked by: Alex, Garamonde
Someone tell Jalonso on PJ about this. He'll post it as a news item and get some more higher end pixel artists involved.
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B], Frario
Will do straight away. I was dithering on putting it on PJ, but I'll give it a go!

Why can't I post the news myself?

Okay, I've sent Jalonso a PM.

Thanked by:
(06-13-2011, 03:38 PM)Vipershark Wrote: nightmare mode: 16-color challenge using only the eyeburningly ugly first 16 colors

hue shift every colour to purple. all of them.
Thanked by:
ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN WHY I CHOSE THIS

for a while, I thought that nobody was able to make anything good using the default patette; everything was too saturated and ugly.
Then EdpR came along and made this.
[Image: samus.png]

...which shot down that opinion.
Then these came along, both of which use the default palette as well.
[Image: mariog.png]
[Image: 34glqae.png]
(Correct me if I'm wrong, but this third one appears to use /none/ of the first 16.)

The thing they all have in common though is that while still difficult to make, all of them use the entire palette and not just the first 16 colors. This allows for orange, brown, pink, and more blues, purples, and greens to make hue shifting a lot easier, relatively speaking.

Which is why I came up with 16 color mode.
Limited to the fully saturated, two-shade 16 color palette of old computers, can you still make good looking sprites? I imagine it'll take a TON of creative hue-shifting and dithering to make something actually look good.

For an additional handicap, no completely monochrome images. The fact that 4 shades of grey exist (if you count black and white as shades of grey) makes it almost too easy to just go the Gameboy route.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
Doesn't seem like any of them use NIGHTMARE MODE, though. I think the only colors that are annoying to work with are the 6 pure mixes (RGB/YMC), the rest of them are pretty tame.

(also the last one doesn't have the eyeburning colors???)
Thanked by: