The VG Resource
Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Spriting and Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-14.html)
+----- Thread: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" (/thread-5939.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - Crazy Koopa - 04-30-2009

There's still an error about Smithy 2.
He doesn't have feet, so you don't need to put feet on Smithy 2.

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - Boo - 05-01-2009

(04-30-2009, 11:54 PM)Crazy Koopa Wrote: There's still an error about Smithy 2.

Augg... wow. He has feet, the picture just seperated them.

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - Wes - 05-01-2009

I think the handle of the hammer, as well as the hand holding the handle, should both be bigger. the hand seems covered up too much and the handle seems too thin.

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - Ridge Troopa - 05-01-2009

Here's some weapons!

[Image: cortez1.png]

I'm sure someone will point out the reference I just made.

Now for some more Smithy critz.
... All right, five shades should be fine I suppose. It still looks a bit more PiT than ML3, but eh. Continue.
The angle, however, is definitely better.

(05-01-2009, 05:19 AM)EpicWes Wrote: I think the handle of the hammer, as well as the hand holding the handle, should both be bigger. the hand seems covered up too much and the handle seems too thin.

That.
Hammer still needs to be fixed in the way that I said earlier; handle needs to be wider, hammer shorter in length... I would also recommend shading it differently... The way it is now just doesn't look ML3.

By the way, I apologize if the way I'm explaining how to fix things makes it seem like you're not doing a good job, because that is most certainly not the case. It's the fact that you're making it so good that it's out of style. Like you, I often make things that are too good for the styles that I sprite in, which is why I have to go back and fix things... Cortez was originally going to have 5 shades and much more detailed shading, however I decided against that after looking at the boss sprites more carefully.

If I didn't say so before, it would be an excellent idea to use the gray from the outline as a color for that gray pallet you have. Pretty much every sprite that needs a dark gray uses the outline color.

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - Crazy Koopa - 05-01-2009

(05-01-2009, 05:41 PM)Ridge Troopa Wrote: Here's some weapons!

To Fight Against An Armed Boss- *shot*
Hmm... can't find anything wrong on it really.
Now that I think about, Cortez must be using some sort of mind trick to make his weapons have such small shadows.

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - Ridge Troopa - 05-01-2009

The shadows need to be big enough to somewhat match with the horizontal pose, but also small enough to match the vertical pose. So that's the best size for them.

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - Chaoxys - 05-01-2009

Love the weapons Ridge, although the hook seems odd, although it may be me. It just seems like it should (the actual hook part) form a more circular shape. Right now it looks like an oval, although it's been a while since I've played, maybe thats how it looks?

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - Crazy Koopa - 05-01-2009

(05-01-2009, 07:01 PM)Shyguy Grey Wrote: Love the weapons Ridge, although the hook seems odd, although it may be me. It just seems like it should (the actual hook part) form a more circular shape. Right now it looks like an oval, although it's been a while since I've played, maybe thats how it looks?

Here's a picture:
[Image: 300px-Cortez.jpg]

That picture isn't a very good reference, despite the fact that it's official art. Many things are incorrectly shaped.
I've used exact size and shape comparisons by taking screenshots from videos of the battle, and the way I've made it is how the hook should be shaped.

So yes, that's how it looks in-game.

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - Star - 05-01-2009

(04-30-2009, 11:54 PM)Crazy Koopa Wrote: There's still an error about Smithy 2.

(05-01-2009, 05:41 PM)Ridge Troopa Wrote: Here's some weapons!

[Image: cortez1.png]

I'm sure someone will point out the reference I just made.

Now for some more Smithy critz.
... All right, five shades should be fine I suppose. It still looks a bit more PiT than ML3, but eh. Continue.
The angle, however, is definitely better.

(05-01-2009, 05:19 AM)EpicWes Wrote: I think the handle of the hammer, as well as the hand holding the handle, should both be bigger. the hand seems covered up too much and the handle seems too thin.

That.
Hammer still needs to be fixed in the way that I said earlier; handle needs to be wider, hammer shorter in length... I would also recommend shading it differently... The way it is now just doesn't look ML3.

By the way, I apologize if the way I'm explaining how to fix things makes it seem like you're not doing a good job, because that is most certainly not the case. It's the fact that you're making it so good that it's out of style. Like you, I often make things that are too good for the styles that I sprite in, which is why I have to go back and fix things... Cortez was originally going to have 5 shades and much more detailed shading, however I decided against that after looking at the boss sprites more carefully.

If I didn't say so before, it would be an excellent idea to use the gray from the outline as a color for that gray pallet you have. Pretty much every sprite that needs a dark gray uses the outline color.
There's still a color problem? I honestly don't see how it's 5 shades, unless you're counting the main color. I'm counting 4.

[Image: colorproblem.png]
See what I mean? I outlined both main colors in a black box. Note that the lil bit of the sprite on the right is a rip(didn't want to try to spoil anything for anyone). I am counting 4 shades. As for the hammer, I tried to shade it like Mario and Luigi's hammer. After looking at it though, it looks like I have overshaded it a bit. I'll change the look of the hammer but as far as the shading is going for it, I'm leaving it kinda the same.

And I understand, no need to be sorry. Nothing is perfect right from the start.Tongue IAs for the grey outline advice, I already used the grey outline for one of Smithy's color. The last shade actually.

Now as for Cortez, I'm likin those weapons alot! Dissapointed by the lack of overworld though...Very Sad Oh and be sure to remember what I said: You can make your own custom arrival animation for overworld. Be creative! lol at M&L Cortez.

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - A.J. Nitro - 05-01-2009

Everything seems fine to me.

Well, when I count shades, I include the main color so that adds to 5. Either way though, you're right, after looking closer it's fine just the way it is. Disreguard my slight stupidity XD

Although, I do have one new concern resulting from that: It would be best to find another color in the sprite you could use rather than that blue (the one you're using to blend the black). You need a color to replace it that's somewhere else in the sprite as well.

After seeing that hammer comparison the shading is fine, don't worry about that.
Just fix the shape now.

Haha yeah, I'll get to overworld soon enough. But you know me -- I'm obsessed with battle sprites.

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - Ton - 05-02-2009

Wow, guys. These are wonderful!

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - CeeY - 05-02-2009

Amazing work so far :]

RE: Sprite Duel -- STARPOWER vs RIDGE TROOPA: "M&L3 Showdown" - LeleleleMAXIMUM - 05-02-2009

I need my daily Star/Ridge fix.
This topic is as hot as balls.