The VG Resource
Fantasy Smash Project - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Spriting and Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-14.html)
+------ Forum: Sprite Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-15.html)
+------ Thread: Fantasy Smash Project (/thread-510.html)

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - killme - 06-14-2009

(06-13-2009, 07:41 PM)Angelglory Wrote:
(06-13-2009, 07:03 PM)Estian Wrote: If I recall correctly, someone was working on Ridley at some point in time during the life of this thread - would anyone happen to know his status?

I'd like to work on him unless he's already taken.

That was me. I sorta stopped because he'd obviously be a lot more work than KOS-MOS would be. I still have the one sprite that was almost finished if you'd like it:
[Image: ridley.png]

Shouldn't he be purple?

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - Gaia - 06-14-2009

[Image: 2nlbhx5.png]

It's either him or a very big-headed giant robot that was super deformed to an extent. And he's an AT from DeCap Attack no less.

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - Angelglory - 06-14-2009

(06-14-2009, 04:58 PM)sky_blue_wiggler Wrote: Shouldn't he be purple?
I used Zero Mission Ridley for reference when I made the sprite.

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - A.J. Nitro - 06-14-2009

Purple can be one of his alt. colors then.

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - Omegakyogre - 06-15-2009

Well, I decided I wanted to make Ridley closer to how he looks in Brawl, reflecting his more slender, boney (and purple) appearance. There're a lot of glaring problems I see with him as he is now, though. The only pieces I'm really reasonably satisfied with are his head, neck, and body:
[Image: RidleyProgress.png]
His right arm was done before I added contrast to his colors, so it looks a bit awkward, and I got lazy with his other arm, since it's just his right arm pasted behind him. His hand I'm OK with, but it could be better and his arm needs fixing with regard to its shape and shading. His arm is also positioned rather blandly, and I'm actually not sure if his pose overall is a very good one, leading me to what I hate the most about the sprite: His legs. His feet I don't think are terrible, as his toes (according to Brawl) are supposed to be long and thin like that, but I think my attempt at having his thigh bent towards the screen just doesn't work very well. In general, I think he needs to be standing up more rather than crouching so low. His tail's pieces probably need to be edited to make the bumps thinner, they're too thick right now. His wings are... alright, as far as I can tell, but not great - I'm not a fan of the uneven spacing between the appendages.

Putting my own self-degradation aside, any other things I'm missing?
For the record, this is my reference.

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - tsr moderation staff - 06-15-2009

Euughhh... his pose looks really unnatural and off balance, especially compared to AG's. The head and body do look superior and more accurate, but with the arms and legs it looks flat. The wings are nice though. Also the purple needs more contrast or something.

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - Omegakyogre - 06-15-2009

(06-15-2009, 07:37 AM)Tuna Unleashed Wrote: Euughhh... his pose looks really unnatural and off balance, especially compared to AG's. The head and body do look superior and more accurate, but with the arms and legs it looks flat. The wings are nice though. Also the purple needs more contrast or something.

Yep. I'm going to significantly alter his pose before I move forward at all, I recognize it's pretty bad as it is.
I think I'm going to see if I can add more shifts in the hue of the purple, as I think I've reached the limit of contrast via luminosity (without looking weird).

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - MaverickETC - 06-15-2009

[Image: dusterstand.gif]

Big Grin ?

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - HyperSonic92 - 06-15-2009

(06-15-2009, 03:09 AM)Estian Wrote: Well, I decided I wanted to make Ridley closer to how he looks in Brawl, reflecting his more slender, boney (and purple) appearance. There're a lot of glaring problems I see with him as he is now, though. The only pieces I'm really reasonably satisfied with are his head, neck, and body:
[Image: RidleyProgress.png]
His right arm was done before I added contrast to his colors, so it looks a bit awkward, and I got lazy with his other arm, since it's just his right arm pasted behind him. His hand I'm OK with, but it could be better and his arm needs fixing with regard to its shape and shading. His arm is also positioned rather blandly, and I'm actually not sure if his pose overall is a very good one, leading me to what I hate the most about the sprite: His legs. His feet I don't think are terrible, as his toes (according to Brawl) are supposed to be long and thin like that, but I think my attempt at having his thigh bent towards the screen just doesn't work very well. In general, I think he needs to be standing up more rather than crouching so low. His tail's pieces probably need to be edited to make the bumps thinner, they're too thick right now. His wings are... alright, as far as I can tell, but not great - I'm not a fan of the uneven spacing between the appendages.

Putting my own self-degradation aside, any other things I'm missing?
For the record, this is my reference.
I kinda like the pose in AG's better than in yours. The head and body do look cool but I think the neck is too skinny and the feet look weird.

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - tsr moderation staff - 06-15-2009

(06-15-2009, 12:58 PM)MaverickETC Wrote: [Image: dusterstand.gif]

Big Grin ?

the point where his arm meets his body is at his neck. also his arms and legs are really noodly

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - Ton - 06-15-2009

It'd be great if his hands were in his pockets most of the time and he only used his feet to attack. Unless he's using a Thief Tool. Then he could pull them out of his pockets.

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - Black Boo - 06-16-2009

Yeah, I say go wiith AG's ridley. Just edit that one.

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - killme - 06-16-2009

(06-16-2009, 10:56 AM)Black Boo Wrote: Yeah, I say go wiith AG's ridley. Just edit that one.

Yeah, just make it purple and skinnier =)

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - Omegakyogre - 06-16-2009

(06-16-2009, 01:48 PM)sky_blue_wiggler Wrote:
(06-16-2009, 10:56 AM)Black Boo Wrote: Yeah, I say go wiith AG's ridley. Just edit that one.

The only thing I'm using from AG's Ridley is the pose, which really is just Super Metroid Ridley's pose - this ensures that the pose is more natural and it's how Ridley might actually stand. I'll be using the same head (mine, that is), and I may or may not use my Ridley's body, depending on how well the orientation I sprited it in fits with the Super Metroid pose. Even if I re-sprite it it'll look basically the same, just a bit more upright.
His arms, legs, and tail will also be made from scratch, not edited from AG's arms and legs (Mainly because I need the practice, but - relax, I'm not going to work on something that's shoddy. If it's bad, I'll edit AG's instead.) I'm sketching everything out first before I lay down so much as a pixel, but so far it's looking much, much, much better.
Bear with me.

RE: Fantasy Smash Project - HyperSonic92 - 06-17-2009

(06-16-2009, 03:10 PM)Estian Wrote:
(06-16-2009, 01:48 PM)sky_blue_wiggler Wrote:

The only thing I'm using from AG's Ridley is the pose, which really is just Super Metroid Ridley's pose - this ensures that the pose is more natural and it's how Ridley might actually stand. I'll be using the same head (mine, that is), and I may or may not use my Ridley's body, depending on how well the orientation I sprited it in fits with the Super Metroid pose. Even if I re-sprite it it'll look basically the same, just a bit more upright.
His arms, legs, and tail will also be made from scratch, not edited from AG's arms and legs (Mainly because I need the practice, but - relax, I'm not going to work on something that's shoddy. If it's bad, I'll edit AG's instead.) I'm sketching everything out first before I lay down so much as a pixel, but so far it's looking much, much, much better.
Bear with me.
Have you already thought of a moveset? Me and AG made one that was pretty good if you need some help on it. AngelGlory do you remember what that moveset was again?