The VG Resource
what's wrong with ???? (dead) - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Creativity (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-126.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Sprites / Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-127.html)
+--- Thread: what's wrong with ???? (dead) (/thread-37485.html)

what's wrong with ???? (dead) - DogToon64 - 07-08-2020

Lets begin shall we?
[attachment=10758]

The Observer: I won't pay any attention to anything you say, so don't bother telling me anything

RE: what's wrong with victini? - Paraemon - 07-08-2020

Just because you have some sort of problem with me doesn't make the feeling mutual. Remember, I tried to help. I'm still willing to.

0. Make the text consistent. There's no more context required for this.

1. Off-Model: the arms are too thin, the ears are the wrong shape and don't have the "ear gap" between them in some cases. The height feels incorrect.

2. Empty space: You could cut down on the irrelevant sprites and reorganise the Victini-specific content to fully fit the sheet.

3. The pixel art: Simply, look again at the sprite you used at inspiration. The official art too. The main issues with it are the proportions and the ears are incorrectly placed.

4. See if you can find any of Victini's animations from the anime to help expand the sheet. I'm sure there's a myriad of Youtube videos on the subject.

RE: what's wrong with victini? - Spriter Theo - 07-08-2020

You probably know this already, but since you have PMs turned off I can't respond to you directly. Sorry about that.

From what I see it looks like one potential issue is the sprites facing forward don't quite match the proportions of the sprites facing the side. The body is fine, but the head is a little off. The head itself is slightly smaller when facing down/up and the ears don't seem quite right either. I'd recommend making the head a bit bigger (just add one pixel around the perimeter of the circle) and then try using the left ear from the side facing sprites. You can mirror flip it to use for both the left and right ears facing down (when facing up you'll want to cover the inner ear with the red fur, but that probably goes without saying). If you can, you may want to try to go for more of a V shape with the ears as well. V for victory!

This is more of a personal preference, so feel free to ignore it, but I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to spritesheets. I try to leave only what the end user is going to end up using. If I have any prototypes, or half finished ideas that don't quite match the style of the end sheet I save them to a hidden layer. That way I still have them, but it isn't using up any space on the sheet. Naturally this is up to you, but I think you'd be fine with your main sprites, the mouth movements, and the palletes. Everything else you can add later on if you decide to go back to the sheet or just share on the forums, like bonus features on a DVD.

I hope that helps!

RE: what's wrong with victini? - DogToon64 - 07-09-2020

Thanks for the advice, I'll see about it later.
(PS. I'll turn my PMs back on sometime later, sorry)

RE: what's wrong with victini? - Spriter Theo - 07-09-2020

(07-09-2020, 07:41 AM)DogToon64 Wrote: Thanks for the advice, I'll see about it later.
(PS. I'll turn my PMs back on sometime later, sorry)

No need to apologize, I just wanted to make sure you knew.