The VG Resource
Some custom sprites for a new character. - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Creativity (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-126.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Sprites / Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-127.html)
+--- Thread: Some custom sprites for a new character. (/thread-33734.html)

Some custom sprites for a new character. - Sir Ethan - 08-12-2018

I've been working at making some new stuff for idk how long but I made a new character, hand drew him, downscaled him and gave him limited colors....it could work better with shading and stuff.

(this one is broken you have to click on it)

RE: Some custom sprites for a new character. - DioShiba - 08-13-2018

Look uhhh.... I'm just gonna have to be honest and blunt.

These suck. I can tell you this because the animated sprites are jagged, the hair movement makes no sense and the dashing and jumping poses feel like corpses positioned on the floor with no sense of movement. Finally there are better ways to animate a sword swing.

Assuming that these are your first sprites, or that you are a novice still, take a step back and don't animate things until you are ready to study how movement works. Work on things like anatomy, shape, weight, line, and other principles that are generally applied to spriting/pixel art before trying to tackle a larger project involving animation of any kind.

Better if you get the harsh critique now than struggle later on.

RE: Some custom sprites for a new character. - Sir Ethan - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 08:38 AM)DioShiba Wrote: Look uhhh.... I'm just gonna have to be honest and blunt.

These suck. I can tell you this because the animated sprites are jagged, the hair movement makes no sense and the dashing and jumping poses feel like corpses positioned on the floor with no sense of movement. Finally there are better ways to animate a sword swing.

Assuming that these are your first sprites, or that you are a novice still, take a step back and don't animate things until you are ready to study how movement works. Work on things like anatomy, shape, weight, line, and other principles that are generally applied to spriting/pixel art before trying to tackle a larger project involving animation of any kind.

Better if you get the harsh critique now than struggle later on.

At least it's better than some shitty Mega Man edits I've done before.

However because i don't know how to draw consistently or draw more than a four frame walking animation, these did not turn out the best....

as far as the swinging animation goes I got lazy and just re-positioned the arm and stuff and didn't feel like scanning another sheet of paper in.

RE: Some custom sprites for a new character. - DioShiba - 08-13-2018

Two things:
1) Practice, practice, practice.
2) Richard Williams: The Animator's Survival Kit is a good reference book. But you should also consider looking into figure drawing books by Andrew Loomis, Burnes Hogarth, and Stephen Rogers Beck and practice drawing people from real life and to a minor extent: photos.

The best way you're going to build on consistency is focusing on learning from doing, reading, and seeking feedback as needed. The best way is to get involved in some art classes. EDIT: Once you capture how to draw a human body realistically, that's when you can deviate into doing things with your own style.

I do agree that these are better than the edits, but I have faith that if you really put your mind to this you could be a pretty damn good animator if this is what you seek to do. But know that it takes way more work than you think it will.

RE: Some custom sprites for a new character. - Sir Ethan - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 08:55 AM)DioShiba Wrote: Two things:
1) Practice, practice, practice.
2) Richard Williams: The Animator's Survival Kit is a good reference book. But you should also consider looking into figure drawing books by Andrew Loomis, Burnes Hogarth, and Stephen Rogers Beck and practice drawing people from real life and to a minor extent: photos.

The best way you're going to build on consistency is focusing on learning from doing, reading, and seeking feedback as needed. The best way is to get involved in some art classes. EDIT: Once you capture how to draw a human body realistically, that's when you can deviate into doing things with your own style.

I do agree that these are better than the edits, but I have faith that if you really put your mind to this you could be a pretty damn good animator if this is what you seek to do. But know that it takes way more work than you think it will.

Thanks for the recommendation.
If you want to see one of my better artworks, check this thread:
https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-33735.html