The VG Resource
Regarding Dissidia - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Main Content (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-103.html)
+--- Forum: Site Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-106.html)
+--- Thread: Regarding Dissidia (/thread-29189.html)

Regarding Dissidia - pat098 - 05-09-2016

Okay. I might be new here, but I'm incredibly pissed off upset about the state of the Dissidia/Dissidia 012 rips and the organization of the games.
I might be the only person who actually cares about the game, so I might make a few suggestions anyway:

-Merge the game folders together. Both games use the same assets for the most part, so it's probably redundant to accept the same models twice, and this probably leads to the second point. I don't expect this one to be even considered, though.

-Reorganize everything.
The whole thing as it is is a mess. I'm going to try uploading what I have in sub-categories, based around the outfits, EX Mode models, and whatever was not used when 012 was released (like Tidus' recolored Alt1 outfit from the first game, due to the outfit being replaced by a Dissidia-styled remake of his Final Fantasy X model, for example)

-Try to get everything as uniform as possible.
This is literally the thing that pissed me off the most about how Dissidia/D012 is handled on the site: a lot of the rips look completely disjointed. Some are T-posed, some are just ripped from Noesis without any effort put into making sure it looks uniform and usable, but most of it looks cluttered, and that adds to how what seems like everyone's opinion that the models are ugly when they really aren't, imo.

and tbh, I think a lot of games on the Model's Resource need some sort of reorganization and clean-up. I bring up Dissidia/D012 because it is one of the two games I have all the non-DLC models for.

RE: Regarding Dissidia - puggsoy - 05-10-2016

First off, just in case you're unaware, both the staff and the submitters here are 100% unpaid and all work done is voluntary. We try our best to keep stuff to a certain standard but this doesn't always work out. TMR in particular is one of the least managed sites, only one or two people approve submissions there since models are the hardest format to properly moderate, so it's expected for that site to be a bit messier than the rest. It's also the only one that's not finished with the icon renovation yet (although it's almost there).

In terms of organisation, a lot of submissions are from games that the staff don't know much or anything about, so we just keep them in the games and sections they're submitted in. A lot of the time we'll miss duplicates, redundancies, or better ways to organise, so this sort of feedback is helpful. Linking to the game(s) in question helps a lot though, especially if the same game is on multiple systems or sites.

As for the actual models, well, that's usually the responsibility of the submitter. People can submit revisions though, so feel free to fix any messed up models.

Anyway I'll stop now, TMR is definitely not my area and I know nothing of Final Fantasy, but I thought I'd point out some general things that apply to most sites. Hopefully someone else can actually help fix these issues.

RE: Regarding Dissidia - pat098 - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 12:58 AM)puggsoy Wrote: First off, just in case you're unaware, both the staff and the submitters here are 100% unpaid and all work done is voluntary. We try our best to keep stuff to a certain standard but this doesn't always work out. TMR in particular is one of the least managed sites, only one or two people approve submissions there since models are the hardest format to properly moderate, so it's expected for that site to be a bit messier than the rest. It's also the only one that's not finished with the icon renovation yet (although it's almost there).

In terms of organisation, a lot of submissions are from games that the staff don't know much or anything about, so we just keep them in the games and sections they're submitted in. A lot of the time we'll miss duplicates, redundancies, or better ways to organise, so this sort of feedback is helpful. Linking to the game(s) in question helps a lot though, especially if the same game is on multiple systems or sites.

As for the actual models, well, that's usually the responsibility of the submitter. People can submit revisions though, so feel free to fix any messed up models.

Anyway I'll stop now, TMR is definitely not my area and I know nothing of Final Fantasy, but I thought I'd point out some general things that apply to most sites. Hopefully someone else can actually help fix these issues.

I am thankful for you guys doing what you do, I was pretty much just making suggestions. I'm a new guy here who rarely if ever posts on forums I sign up for, so imo, I shouldn't be taken as seriously as the people who've actually been around here for years.
That said, I do agree with you. I'll try to help out with what I can do.
I only pointed this game out in particular since it's the one I'm actively working on getting models site-ready, since the other game I have rips for is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle, and I'm not actively working on those right now.

I honestly didn't mean for this to sound bad.

RE: Regarding Dissidia - puggsoy - 05-10-2016

No worries, gonna be honest and say that your post did sound a tiny bit aggressive, but it's good to know that wasn't your intention. There have been people in the past who have shown unreasonable disrespect towards the staff and rippers so I thought I'd be a bit firm on the point of how it's totally voluntary, I'm sorry if that came off a bit rough though.

As I said these suggestions are super helpful, VGR wouldn't be half as good as it is today without the input of members and users so we appreciate it greatly Smile

(05-10-2016, 03:48 AM)puggsoy Wrote: No worries, gonna be honest and say that your post did sound a tiny bit aggressive, but it's good to know that wasn't your intention. There have been people in the past who have shown unreasonable disrespect towards the staff and rippers so I thought I'd be a bit firm on the point of how it's totally voluntary, I'm sorry if that came off a bit rough though.

As I said these suggestions are super helpful, VGR wouldn't be half as good as it is today without the input of members and users so we appreciate it greatly Smile

Yeah. For the most part, my aggressive tone probably came from some unrelated stuff (mostly just me being frustrated from continuously screwing up model ports to the Source engine (Kinda have a minor project of getting some character models in GMod.).

I have no intentions to be disrespectful to the staff here, as I'm not the kind of person who wants to start anything.

And you're fine. While it did come off rough,  it gets the point across, imo.

RE: Regarding Dissidia - Ton - 05-10-2016

A few points:

-The games shouldn't be merged. They're different games, so you should be able to find the assets in both sections.
-Generally I like to name things like Cloud, Cloud (Alt 1), Cloud (Alt 2), etc. It keeps everything in order and lets you know the default. You could also just include ALL the alts in one file and put the examples of them on the large icons.
-If sections get too unwieldly, we can split it into the Light and Cosmo characters. Or even by character, if it's too huge.
-Icons look different because different submitters, well, submit them. If you'd like to redo the icons, that'd be awesome. Those sections haven't been updated yet.

(05-10-2016, 03:43 PM)Ton Wrote: A few points:

-The games shouldn't be merged. They're different games, so you should be able to find the assets in both sections.
-Generally I like to name things like Cloud, Cloud (Alt 1), Cloud (Alt 2), etc. It keeps everything in order and lets you know the default. You could also just include ALL the alts in one file and put the examples of them on the large icons.
-If sections get too unwieldly, we can split it into the Light and Cosmo characters. Or even by character, if it's too huge.
-Icons look different because different submitters, well, submit them. If you'd like to redo the icons, that'd be awesome. Those sections haven't been updated yet.
-The first point was pretty much only made because 012 uses most of the original's assets, albeit whatever was brought back in was probably touched up. In hindsight, it was a pretty dumb suggestion, especially since both Tidus and Jecht had different Alt1s in the original and Bartz probably had a somewhat different moveset, meaning what weapons were on him were probably different between games

-I myself would've probably separated the Alts by Alt 1/Alt2/DLC sub-areas, mostly because all of my folders are set up by their in-game name. Of course, it'd probably be better to organize the character models by their in-game alignment or game of origin if you want it to be more general, since there aren't that many characters in the pre-Arcade Dissidia games.

I'll probably update whatever I can. I know some of the character-based rips aren't even in a reference pose, and I kinda want to fix everything mostly so it all looks a bit nicer and is a lot more usable to anyone who wants to use them.