The VG Resource
Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Main Content (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-103.html)
+--- Forum: Site Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-106.html)
+--- Thread: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) (/thread-27818.html)

Pages: 1 2

Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - Dazz - 09-19-2015

Hey guys,

We've had a lot of submissions lately relating to the game icons for mobile and DS games. Not our style of icon, but rather the icons that relate to the game. These things:

[Image: 65856.png] [Image: 65884.png] [Image: 65888.png]

I want your opinions on these. We also have submissions for save game icons and banners from Wii games, that kinda thing... I'm reluctant to accept these because they're just single 64x64 images... I personally believe these are almost completely pointless. What do you guys think?

Should we accept them?

You can see the 12 we already have on the site to get a good idea of what they really entail: http://www.spriters-resource.com/search/?q=%22Game+icon%22

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - Garamonde - 09-19-2015

I'm actually thinking these could be clumped in with miscellaneous assets and just labeled as game icons on the sheets. Then again, that of course might not always work...

I feel they could have some use considering the other things we accept, but, it's true it does seem pointless to just accept them as their own submissions.

In other words I'm not really sure but maybe we could start trying to get people to include them in with other misc. graphics from games. Not much if a rip itself, anyway.

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - SuperFlomm - 09-19-2015

I agree with Mighty Jetters. They should be included on a sheet with other graphics. Maybe along with the title screen or something.

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - Shade - 09-19-2015

Agreeing with the above.

Been wondering about this and I don't think it's enough to be separate as its own submission. I'd say including it with other miscellaneous things would be the better option.

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - larsenv - 09-19-2015

I kinda agree with Mighty Jetters and everyone else, but I like this better...

Can't the DS/3DS ones just be merged into one sheet and be on, let's say the BIOS section of the system?
I have all of the DS/3DS icons and think it would look more organized and actually look cool altogether in one sheet.

I had some of these waiting approval and I think that's an even better idea than just looking all over TSR for these...

If anyone likes this idea I'll make a sprite sheet out of all of them.

Smile

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - redblueyellow - 09-19-2015

(09-19-2015, 08:08 PM)larsenv Wrote: I kinda agree with Mighty Jetters and everyone else, but I like this better...

Can't the DS/3DS ones just be merged into one sheet and be on, let's say the BIOS section of the system?
I have all of the DS/3DS icons and think it would look more organized and actually look cool altogether in one sheet.

I had some of these waiting approval and I think that's an even better idea than just looking all over TSR for these...

If anyone likes this idea I'll make a sprite sheet out of all of them.

Smile

This would make sense. They technically only appear on the system's home screen, and having them all on one sheet would consolidate them in one location on the site instead of multiple tiny sheets.

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - Garamonde - 09-19-2015

That uh... makes the most sense. But then the Wii and Wii-U would have to have master sheets for these things too and they'd have to keep being updated, right? That might be a bit of a mess...

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - redblueyellow - 09-19-2015

(09-19-2015, 09:21 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: That uh... makes the most sense. But then the Wii and Wii-U would have to have master sheets for these things too and they'd have to keep being updated, right? That might be a bit of a mess...

That was the only thing that I was worried about. But in that case I would lump them into the same category as the downloadable content sheet from Pokemon Black/White.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/pokemonblackwhite/sheet/34518/

Compared to the complete list of downloadable content, it is incomplete. http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/globallinkdownloads.shtml

However, despite it being incomplete it should still be on the site. In the case of the game icon sheet, it could be updated whenever felt necessary and wouldn't have to be right after every new game comes out.

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - Petie - 09-19-2015

I agree that they shouldn't be accepted as their own submissions but I do think having them isn't a bad thing. I like the idea of having them all on one sheet but that sheet would need to be updated constantly so it's not exactly a practical solution. Including them in a miscellaneous images sheet for a game is likely the easiest way but obviously not always applicable. Regardless of the final solution, I don't think any more of these should be accepted that the ones we already have should be removed (not necessarily immediately - we should find a suitable solution first).

(09-19-2015, 10:19 PM)redblueyellow Wrote: That was the only thing that I was worried about. But in that case I would lump them into the same category as the downloadable content sheet from Pokemon Black/White.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/pokemonblackwhite/sheet/34518/

Compared to the complete list of downloadable content, it is incomplete. http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/globallinkdownloads.shtml

However, despite it being incomplete it should still be on the site. In the case of the game icon sheet, it could be updated whenever felt necessary and wouldn't have to be right after every new game comes out.

I get what you're saying but I feel like that sheet would require updates far less frequently than a master game icons sheet. Still, it's a usable solution as long as it's updated occasionally. And with that sheet maker application, someone can just keep a folder of all of them and have it re-make the sheet automatically as necessary so it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to maintain.

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - SuperFlomm - 09-19-2015

If we make one sheet with all icons, then I think we should collect as many as possible beforehand. And sorting them alphabetically wouldn't hurt.

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - DarkGrievous7145 - 09-20-2015

except for multiple resolution issues, what about using a server-side script to append the icon sheet automatically?

so, say you had a system using exclusively 16x16 icons, the icons could be stored individually in some directory on the server itself, and every time a new icon is submitted and approved, the server calls a script (my guess PhP) , and assembles a new sheet from all the icons in that directory?

Then people can be extra lazy and don't need to re-download the full set of icons every time just to add to them!
IDK how hard this would be or what performance costs it would entail, it's just a suggestion.

Whatever the case, I agree the game icons should be included, but they certainly don't warrant their own submissions, and they also don't exactly fit under misc.

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - Petie - 09-20-2015

(09-20-2015, 12:07 AM)DarkGrievous7145 Wrote: Whatever the case, I agree the game icons should be included, but they certainly don't warrant their own submissions, and they also don't exactly fit under misc.

For as much as they don't warrant their own submissions, they don't warrant a custom system like this being written and implemented. That would be a ton of work for very little benefit.

(09-20-2015, 12:14 AM)Petie Wrote:
(09-20-2015, 12:07 AM)DarkGrievous7145 Wrote: Whatever the case, I agree the game icons should be included, but they certainly don't warrant their own submissions, and they also don't exactly fit under misc.

For as much as they don't warrant their own submissions, they don't warrant a custom system like this being written and implemented. That would be a ton of work for very little benefit.

I'll not challenge that statement
You're right. I described this suggestion as follows, and I quote, "Then people can be extra lazy"

What about Superflomm's suggestion to bulk-gather a few to start with, and alphabetically sorting them?

RE: Game Icons (DS, Mobile, etc.) - Petie - 09-20-2015

The suggestion of starting with a bunch is good. And if the files are named correctly, sorting will be automatic so that's no problem. I'm still just not convinced that it's the best solution yet but I think it's best to wait for more of the people who deal directly with the content to chime in.

Yep!

That sounds fair to me!