The VG Resource
Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Creativity (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-126.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Sprites / Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-127.html)
+--- Thread: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel (/thread-27090.html)

Pages: 1 2

Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - SusaLA - 05-05-2015

Hi! I'm new here. I'm trying to learn how to make pixel art.
I'm not very good drawing so I've started with simple things.

A simple player:
[Image: XmNZxU0.png]
I tried to animate this but I don't know how to animate those tiny legs Cry

A jump animation:
[Image: 6NfB6OC.gif]

A map:
[Image: fUOD46J.png]

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - Kelvin - 05-05-2015

I like it. ^.-.^ I see you're using the selout to add lighting under such a limited palette; that's pretty clever. Also like how the little critter's whole body moves when it jumps. Good start there.

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - SusaLA - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 08:15 AM)Kelvin Wrote: I like it. ^.-.^ I see you're using the selout to add lighting under such a limited palette; that's pretty clever. Also like how the little critter's whole body moves when it jumps. Good start there.

Thanks, I'm trying my best in learn!

I did this, looks good to me but I'm sure it can better
[Image: 5hDhuuN.gif]

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - Kelvin - 05-05-2015

The way he's rotating, I feel like the legs should line up, or be at least really close, on the side views. Also, are you going for a Gameboy screen type thingy? If so, his eyebrows should be the same color as his mid-tone, since GB only allows 3 colors plus transparency, similar to NES, and it'd be silly to add a whole new sprite just for those. ^.-.^

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - Cyberguy64 - 05-05-2015

Very simple. It makes me think of Kirby in a way.

You have a good feel for how to move pixels to get smooth animation, now I suggest you work on your overall drawing abilities. Look up some tutorials and practice practice practice.

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - SusaLA - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 03:21 PM)Kelvin Wrote: The way he's rotating, I feel like the legs should line up, or be at least really close, on the side views. Also, are you going for a Gameboy screen type thingy? If so, his eyebrows should be the same color as his mid-tone, since GB only allows 3 colors plus transparency, similar to NES, and it'd be silly to add a whole new sprite just for those. ^.-.^
I'm really bad making legs for some reason  Cry. I'll continue trying to get the legs look better and yes, I'm trying to make things in GB style, thanks for those tips  Smile
(05-05-2015, 03:47 PM)Cyberguy64 Wrote: Very simple. It makes me think of Kirby in a way.

You have a good feel for how to move pixels to get smooth animation, now I suggest you work on your overall drawing abilities. Look up some tutorials and practice practice practice.
I tried many times in make an human in that perspective but seems impossible to me. I'll be trying to make one to post here ^^

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - SusaLA - 05-11-2015

I got some time to make sprites and I tried again with humans:

[Image: uDquK7u.png]

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - Kelvin - 05-11-2015

Ooh, nice job putting that much detail into something so small and still being readable. I think you've really gotten the hang of this style. ^.-.^ Now we just gotta see how it animates.

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - Flare - 05-11-2015

I love how simple it is. And especially with such a small space how much character is brought out. Those little creatures (remind me of the chicks from OOT) jumping are very cute.

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - Cyberguy64 - 05-12-2015

Nice job! It's got a unique style but it reads really nice and has pretty good perspective for being so tiny. Props!

Now, get to animating.

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - SusaLA - 05-12-2015

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm trying to make some simple animations because I can't make a good walk one, I'm still trying

"no" animation:
[Image: BQBRa7h.gif]

"yes" animation:
[Image: Znjhr7H.gif]

And I don't know what I'm doing exactly here, but I wanted to animate arms
[Image: EtFL5QV.gif]

Also I did the side, i'm having a lot of problems with the legs, any tips for make them?  Shy
[Image: asGM6ah.png]

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - Kelvin - 05-13-2015

They should probably be moved back a pixel. You could probably move just the one leg so they're both in the middle and have some overlap, like this:
[Image: fPHimx1.png]
It would add a bit of perspective to it.

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - SusaLA - 05-14-2015

(05-13-2015, 04:04 PM)Kelvin Wrote: They should probably be moved back a pixel. You could probably move just the one leg so they're both in the middle and have some overlap, like this:
[Image: fPHimx1.png]
It would add a bit of perspective to it.

Thanks you so much for that, I don't know how I didn't see that before, this was really helpful for me 
I'm trying to make walk animations again, I'm so bad with them, I always have problems with legs things but this time at least seems to walk
[Image: w8RYjRk.gif]

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - Kelvin - 05-14-2015

A two-frame walk isn't bad at that size. It would look perfect if his arm moved when he stepped.

RE: Trying to learn! My firsts things in pixel - SusaLA - 05-15-2015

I've been working in walk animations and here's the result:
[Image: M3sC7kr.gif]

I've modify the side walk cycle and I think that now it just looks better than before  Big Grin