The VG Resource
The Pixels Of Joxon - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Creativity (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-126.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Sprites / Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-127.html)
+--- Thread: The Pixels Of Joxon (/thread-26110.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Joxon - 04-04-2015

[Image: JvgWIub.png]
Took your suggestions, and tried a version with Kirby eyes. I couldn't find a way to make the regular eyed look right with the forehead showing. If I can, I'll probably use that one because the Kirby eye one looks a little creepy.

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - recme - 04-04-2015

okay, so first i looked at size charts from brawl and measured all the characters

[Image: yMWsqaF.png]

then i used the mario reference i sent you and turned the head to where things are leveled.

[Image: 9bSuUSG.png]

after all of this, i finally made an edit

[Image: xY549Mk.png]

i gave you a palette to work with and an edit to see what should be in place. keep in mind that my edit certainly does have some problems, so not everything is perfect. this is just to help you see which features should be where and what colors should be used. i also fixed some key anatomy issues that were going on in your sprite, so just compare what i did differently. finally, be sure to find a lightsource in your sprite. shading was just going everywhere and not a definitive light source was shown.

good luck!

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Joxon - 04-07-2015

[Image: 9ugHGFK.png]
I changed PBGs idle stance to make it a little more casual. I also changed the colours around a little.

And, Recme, thank you, but why did you use a Smash Bros. Game as size reference? It's not exactly accurate. (EX: Olimar is smaller than a battery in Pikmin)

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - recme - 04-07-2015

(04-07-2015, 03:53 PM)Joxon Wrote: And, Recme, thank you, but why did you use a Smash Bros. Game as size reference? It's not exactly accurate. (EX: Olimar is smaller than a battery in Pikmin)

i dont think there is another game where mario, kirby, and dedede all star together. kirby is supposed to be like, 8 inches, while mario is supposed to beeeeeee uh, 5 feet tall. smash bros at least has reasonable sizes, even if they arent always correct.

even if smash bros one is incorrect, there is still mario showing up in the audience, which is roughly the same size of the sprite i made.

have you considered making pbg's sprite a little bigger? its not really readable at the moment because of all the shading thats going on.

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Joxon - 04-07-2015

By no means am I considering changing the size of the sprite. I always choose to work with 32x32 and not much else, unless necessary for consistency. (IE The above Mario sprite) I know it seems dumb, but ive set it in my style for PBG that is 32x32 for regular sprites, and 48x48 for sword sprites. Unless you mean width wise (for some reason) I have restricted my self to the current dimensions. I could tone down the shading a little.

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Joxon - 04-08-2015

I tried to tone down the shading a little. And I attempted at least the legs of a new running animation.
[Image: puajeh1.png]

Running animations are the death of me.
No GIF because iPod. And no computer right now.

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - recme - 04-08-2015

(04-07-2015, 05:17 PM)Joxon Wrote: By no means am I considering changing the size of the sprite. I always choose to work with 32x32 and not much else, unless necessary for consistency. (IE The above Mario sprite) I know it seems dumb, but ive set it in my style for PBG that is 32x32 for regular sprites, and 48x48 for sword sprites. Unless you mean width wise (for some reason) I have restricted my self to the current dimensions. I could tone down the shading a little.

theres really nothing much that i can say other than this is just a silly restriction that, i personally think, shouldnt be used.

whatever flows your boat, i guess

i guess you can try upping the contrast on the sprites so that the shading and colors can be visible?

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Joxon - 04-09-2015

[Image: EikvtY8.png]
I updated the eye a little, with a BOSS meter to fill up so you can engage, well, you know.

[Image: YJrJJIo.png]
And a new mug shot at 4x head size.

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Joxon - 04-09-2015

[Image: vcFKVCU.png]
I made this for a streamer named Tohfoo. He really like it, so I wanna make it even better. Suggestions?

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Silversea - 04-09-2015

(04-09-2015, 03:53 PM)Joxon Wrote: [Image: EikvtY8.png]
I updated the eye a little, with a BOSS meter to fill up so you can engage, well, you know.

[Image: YJrJJIo.png]
And a new mug shot at 4x head size.

Maybe this is just how portraits are done, but it bothers me how you see the far eyebrow but not the eye. It makes the overall impression of the expression sort of...odd. Well, I'd recommend showing more of that eye anyway.

The "boss" text is very hard to read. Fist I'd suggest using a lighter orange or yellow so you can see the letters against the green. Secondly I'd suggest possibly making the letter outline darker so the shapes are clearer.

Sorry if this is blunt and overly negative, I don't have much time today. It is a really good start though.

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Joxon - 04-11-2015

[Image: PHRmpxR.png]
I tried to fix a few things in the mug.

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Joxon - 04-12-2015

[Image: JJeTpb9.png]
Revamped the eye, but I wasnt sure if I should put the black outline on the projectile or not, and the bottom left, I wasn't sure on the placement of the tail.

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Silversea - 04-14-2015

Can't say if the projectile is better or not without outline without seeing what background it will be on in the game.

The portrait definitely looks better.

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Cyberguy64 - 04-14-2015

There's not a whole lot to that projectile. No animation and it's palette is the exact same shade of green as the eye. Maybe you should have it pulsate some, and make it a different color to make it stand out a bit. Maybe use the blue from the eye's iris.

RE: Joxon's Sprite Thread that Lacks A Clever Title - Joxon - 04-16-2015

[Image: dZPWcwj.png]
Tried a little PBG revamping.