The VG Resource
Highlander's sprites and graphics - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Creativity (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-126.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Sprites / Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-127.html)
+--- Thread: Highlander's sprites and graphics (/thread-25737.html)

Highlander's sprites and graphics - Highlander - 08-22-2014

Hey folks. I wanted to post this months ago, for some reason my gmail wouldnt let me get the email verification when I first registered.

This is all for a game I'm making. and its basically just a random selection of stuff

[Image: stuffjgsdg.png]

The red shirt guy is the main guy

I'm basically looking to make the hoodie and pants better. Basically, IMO everything can always be made better so if you have any advice, let me know

RE: Highlander's sprites and graphics - Zadaben - 08-23-2014

[Image: kwtkNwS.png]
I made a sloppy edit of the bunny to try to point out a couple of the major flaws in your pieces in general. I was not sure if it was red or pink (it's red right?) so I shaded it in both.

While on the subject of colors, yours need more contrast, at the size you're working on, differences you can see when zoomed in super far to sprite are often indistinguishable when viewed at actual size, so you should usually make sure there is a large amount of contrast between shades. Additionally, instead of simply choosing lighter and darker shades of exactly the same hue, which can make an image look dull, it is often a good idea to shift colors slightly as well, from red to orange or purple, or from pink to purple or red, this is called hueshifting.

Another issue that recurs in many of your pieces is overdetailing, you're trying to cram too much into a very small space, and it ends up looking very messy and is difficult to read, you have to simplify things when working at such a small size. On your bunny, I used more solid chunks of color to help produce a clearer image. Due to the cluttered pixels, I was unable to even tell where your outlines or lightsources were, it looked to me like you were just outlining the left side of the sprite, with the apparent exception of the legs, so I assumed the light was shining from our right. I also neglected to outline the leg for consistency.

You have a good start, I can tell from your sprites that you at least have a brain in your head and some knowledge of how to do things, you just have to remember that what you see as you're drawing and what the piece actually looks like are two different things entirely, and zoom out frequently to check, and also heed the critique/advice that people on this site (like me!) give you.

Oh and in case you didnt know, you dont get to use my edit, that was something I was unaware of when I started spriting
but you can certainly take inspiration from it, that's the whole point of the thing.

RE: Highlander's sprites and graphics - Highlander - 08-23-2014

(08-23-2014, 01:39 AM)Zadaben Wrote: differences you can see when zoomed in super far to sprite are often indistinguishable when viewed at actual size

Yeah , my game is upscaled 300% so you are always zoomed in when you play, so what you see zoomed in IS what you see.

And for the record, I can use your edit all i want, until you find a lawyer and sue me (waiting for your move on that one). I know not to use others edits, and would have edited it myself on your advice, but just because you were so condescending at the end for no reason, i might just use yours (just joking)

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I knew the bunny is terribly shaded . you could have at least mentioned something else other than the bunny rather than focusing all your critisism on the bunny or at least given me some kind of positive praise on the style, or anything

I know my stuff sucks but I didn't think it was THAT bad. but i guess criticism is the only way to improve.

And yes I'm being WAY overly sensitive in this reply but only because I really trying hard to make this game good.

but yeah 100% agree my shading on the bunny was absolutely terrible. Actually, i think the design of the bunny in terrible in general. I think it needs to be scrapped and just redrawn altogether If i wanted to really try to make anything that was remotely anatonmically correct.

I should have said this stuff is all work in progress and i agree it all needs a lot of work.

P.S. It's not red or pink. It's somewhere in between, since those aren't mutally exclusive colors.

RE: Highlander's sprites and graphics - Highlander - 08-26-2014

[Image: wMUF0UH.png]

I edited the red sweater guy trying to use the contrast and shifting hue thing

Idk if i did a good job or not

RE: Highlander's sprites and graphics - Yangfly Master - 08-27-2014

Its looking pretty good.
But if i can advice something.
DOOOOONT DO dithering.
I hope i didnt mean to be rude. :v : 3
Also make your keyboard keys 1 pixel larger to the left and 1 to up

RE: Highlander's sprites and graphics - Highlander - 08-27-2014

Well , someone complimented my dithering before, so IDK.. I think it can look good if its done right

Edit, here it is the same character so far, WIP:
[Image: G9MBBY2.png]

RE: Highlander's sprites and graphics - cuedaninja - 09-01-2014

[Image: cUgevTD.png]

The sword looks cool.

RE: Highlander's sprites and graphics - Kelvin - 09-02-2014

Now you've got me curious if there really are laws about edited sprites. I think there was something about derivative works, but I'm not clear on it. I, for one, wouldn't mind if someone used an edit of their sprite that I made if they really thought it was good enough; I'd take it as a compliment. I understand why it's generally frowned on here; after all, a pokemon only gets half experience if another one takes over.

RE: Highlander's sprites and graphics - Zadaben - 09-02-2014

(09-02-2014, 10:04 AM)Midi Wrote: Now you've got me curious if there really are laws about edited sprites. I think there was something about derivative works, but I'm not clear on it. I, for one, wouldn't mind if someone used an edit of their sprite that I made if they really thought it was good enough; I'd take it as a compliment. I understand why it's generally frowned on here; after all, a pokemon only gets half experience if another one takes over.

It's because the whole purpose of the edit is to demonstrate technique, if the other person just takes it they don't actually learn anything
it's like if a professor makes an example paper to show you how the paper should be formatted and what info you need blah blah blah
and then the student just copies that exact paper instead of making one in their own style with their own topic/vocabulary/etc

RE: Highlander's sprites and graphics - Kelvin - 09-02-2014

(09-02-2014, 11:09 AM)Zadaben Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 10:04 AM)Midi Wrote: Now you've got me curious if there really are laws about edited sprites. I think there was something about derivative works, but I'm not clear on it. I, for one, wouldn't mind if someone used an edit of their sprite that I made if they really thought it was good enough; I'd take it as a compliment. I understand why it's generally frowned on here; after all, a pokemon only gets half experience if another one takes over.

It's because the whole purpose of the edit is to demonstrate technique, if the other person just takes it they don't actually learn anything
it's like if a professor makes an example paper to show you how the paper should be formatted and what info you need blah blah blah
and then the student just copies that exact paper instead of making one in their own style with their own topic/vocabulary/etc

I know; I just said that, except I used pokemon as an analogy.