The VG Resource
Favorite controller!? - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-133.html)
+--- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-135.html)
+--- Thread: Favorite controller!? (/thread-25658.html)

Favorite controller!? - Neweegee - 08-12-2014

I'm pretty sure you've played a lot of consoles, but do you sometimes feel like you'd play it's games better if you had a different controller? I get that feeling a lot when I'm playing a Xbox 360 or Nintendo 64(mostly because of the weird D-pad and joystick on standard 360 controllers and the design of the Nintendo 64 controller itself).

Here's the controllers I play best with:

Classic Controller and Pro Version - It's D-pad and buttons are awesome!!

Wii Remote & Nunchuck - Only with 3D games, but I think it's better than the WiiU GamePad and Gamecube controllers.('cause I don't even need to have my hands up to use it Tongue)

Gamecube Controller - If I can't play with a Wiimote + Nunchuck, this is the next best thing.

Non-Microsoft Xbox 360 Controllers - They seem to always be better than the standard ones for some reason.

What are your favorites?

RE: Favorite controller!? - Vipershark - 08-12-2014

I'm gonna quote my old post from February for this one:
Quote:Anyway, the Gamecube controller is the closest controller to perfect that I can think of, but it has a few flaws that keep it from there.
The overall size and shape are perfect and feel great in your hands, though a Gamecube controller made with these improvements would be perfect:
  • L1 button to compliment Z's R1 functionality (seriously, why would you NOT make this symmetrical?)
  • Analog L and R buttons, (as they are they're just spring-loaded regular buttons) but still with that satisfying click when they're pressed all the way down
  • L3/R3 stick click functionality
  • Select (and Home for modern consoles, I guess) button next to start
  • Slightly bigger D-Pad
  • Consider putting the face buttons back in the standard cross shape

...so in other words, a Gamecube-shaped/sized 360 controller, I guess.

If the GC didn't exist, the 360 controller would be the best.
If it had a D-Pad from a PS Vita or a DS Phat and reworked L1/R1 (fuck that "Bumper" shit) buttons so that they feel better/give a better tactile response when pressing them, it would be perfect.

I'm hoping the new GC Classic Controller will be just as good.

RE: Favorite controller!? - Omnikariz - 08-12-2014

[Image: aQ0Zj.jpg]

RE: Favorite controller!? - Helmo - 08-12-2014

[Image: Batman-Arkham-City-the-Batarang-Controller-XBOX360.jpg]

RE: Favorite controller!? - Mystie - 08-12-2014

I, too, am going to quote my post from the old topic:

Mystie Wrote:Favorites: PS1/2, GCN, and Wii U (gamepad).

PS1/2 because it's extremely comfortable and well-made, and fits my tiny girl hands very well, much more so than the fat, bulky Xbox 360 controller. Even though the PS3 controller keeps the same design as 1 and 2, I don't like it as much, only because its L2 and R2 buttons are very uncomfortable. Haven't tried the PS4 controller (I don't have a PS4 yet), so I can't say how I feel about that one.

GCN because the placement of buttons, analog stick responsiveness, and overall design is oozing with perfection.

Wii U because it's very comfy despite its huge size, has great touchscreen and gyroscope integration, and you can even take your game to its screen if someone else needs the TV for something. Plus, its triggers are digital rather than spring-loaded, which is perfect for action games.

Least favorites: N64, Xbox "Duke", and Dreamcast.

N64 because of its three-handled design, its strange button placement, its stiff analog stick, and its overall uncomfortable nature.

Duke because it's way too big and bulky, its button placement is terrible (ovular buttons and an XAYB layout rather than the standard ABXY or BAYX), and roughly 30% of it is taken up by the SYSTEM LOGO.

DC because of its square, spaceship shape, and its slippery analog stick (if your hands tend to sweat like mine do, then you'll find your thumb slipping off the analog stick constantly).

I'm also growing quite fond of the Wii U Pro Controller as well. It's like a smaller, better, X360 controller.

RE: Favorite controller!? - [robo9] - 08-12-2014

My favorite controller is the N64. I've always felt that it was pretty comfortable, and it looks so unique compared to other controllers. GC Controller and the Wii U Tablet come in a close second/third

(08-12-2014, 06:02 PM)Vipershark Wrote:
  • Analog L and R buttons, (as they are they're just spring-loaded regular buttons) but still with that satisfying click when they're pressed all the way down
  • Consider putting the face buttons back in the standard cross shape

I don't know, analog L ad R would've messed with the GC a lot. Several GC games relied on the spring button system. And I guess I'm a minority here that prefers the GC 4 button layout. The big A button that was used the most was a great place to rest your thumb, the frequently used B button was in a position that flowed from A to B, and X and Y were pretty natural to get to too. I don't know, it;s always felt great to me and I hate the standard cross shape

RE: Favorite controller!? - Maxpphire - 08-17-2014

The Razer Onza

The sabertooth isn't as good.

RE: Favorite controller!? - BullockDS - 08-19-2014

[Image: YqAX1qW.png]
You tell me.

@Vipershark and Sportoise: as I pointed out in the old topic, the GCN did have analog L/R triggers. This was evident in games like Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion.

RE: Favorite controller!? - Gwen - 08-19-2014

Xbone controller. Love that thing.

RE: Favorite controller!? - Lemonray - 08-20-2014

(08-19-2014, 10:53 AM)Gwen Wrote: Xbone controller. Love that thing.

It's great, isn't it?

So far I've really enjoyed using it.

RE: Favorite controller!? - soulcaliburfan - 08-20-2014

The gamecube controller always felt clunky in my hands. Right now, I am a huge fan of this controller instead.
[Image: 9yno-460.jpg]

RE: Favorite controller!? - Raccoon Sam - 08-20-2014

THIS BEAST
[Image: Qc3OAf5.jpg]
And I especially do mean the European/Japanese one. In case you did not know, this one has not only prettier colours, but also convex buttons as opposed to the concave.

RE: Favorite controller!? - Kriven - 08-20-2014

(08-20-2014, 07:54 AM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: THIS BEAST
[Image: Qc3OAf5.jpg]
And I especially do mean the European/Japanese one. In case you did not know, this one has not only prettier colours, but also convex buttons as opposed to the concave.

I never knew that was a European model controller... I just always called them "The M&M Controller" as opposed to the purple "Smarties Controller" >.>;

I've always preferred the M&M Controller, btw.

RE: Favorite controller!? - psychospacecow - 08-21-2014

[Image: 13670128?wid=410&hei=410]

I love this thing. Its really fun to get a near-ps2 controller for playing games on PC. Its got real triggers instead of buttons though, if that's a drawback. I figure that if I can win a starcraft match using it, I will have won life.