The VG Resource
Spark's Sprites v2.0 - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Creativity (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-126.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Sprites / Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-127.html)
+--- Thread: Spark's Sprites v2.0 (/thread-25643.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Spark's Sprites v2.0 - SparkMouse - 05-05-2015

style experiment, with steven universe

[Image: steven-universe.png]

12 colors, ~1.5 hours

RE: Spark's Sprites v2.0 - Gors - 05-05-2015

I think you can use some of those colors to further smoothen the sprite

[Image: c1e65d9db0d23dd815fd483c208dc1a8.png]

added anti-alias with the same color palette to smoothen lines

RE: Spark's Sprites v2.0 - SparkMouse - 05-08-2015

[Image: steven2.png]

messed with gors' anti-aliasing a bit, made his arms a bit thicker as well (only other critique i got from somewhere else)

also made garnet

[Image: garnet.png]
she is 150 pixels tall, to steven's ~70, best i could do as far as relative height goes since there are no official height charts. when i get to making them, amethyst will be about 80 pixels tall and pearl will be around 130.

RE: Spark's Sprites v2.0 - SparkMouse - 05-10-2015

[Image: luna-run.gif]
[Image: luna-run-frames.png]

test run animation for the main character of the shadows game
her current name is Luna Waning

might add more frames at some point but 8 is pretty decent for the quality i'm aiming for at the moment

RE: Spark's Sprites v2.0 - Gors - 05-10-2015

she is not walking as the feet isn't propelling her forward; it really looks like some weird dance of some sort

part of this is that the back leg is merging with the front leg when its cycling.

RE: Spark's Sprites v2.0 - SparkMouse - 05-10-2015

(05-10-2015, 02:49 PM)Gors Wrote: she is not walking as the feet isn't propelling her forward; it really looks like some weird dance of some sort

part of this is that the back leg is merging with the front leg when its cycling.

can you elaborate a bit? i don't really see what you're getting at, especially the merging part

RE: Spark's Sprites v2.0 - Yangfly Master - 05-10-2015

I guess the problem is most related to the fact that her feets are kind of in the same spot, i mean, the left foot appears just where the right one appears, while just looking at the sprites, it looks decent, when animated, it looks very very very weird.

RE: Spark's Sprites v2.0 - SparkMouse - 02-10-2016

Long time no see! I took a long break from spriting due to motivation issues and not having a lot of time (which is a lie, I just didn't have a lot of time I wanted to spend on spriting).

[Image: antagonist.png]

An attempted edit of my Luna sprite into the main villain (concept sketch here). Probably need to redo the palette but I think those are the general colors I'm going for. She's wearing a hoodie, skirt, and tights if it's hard to tell. The second sprite is her looking a bit more villainous, when her Shadow is controlling her (easier to tell what's going on in the concept sketch). Had a hard time figuring out how to make her face darker and still have it be remotely readable.

[Image: mugshotprev.png]
First shot at a mugshot of Luna for dialogue boxes. I think I need to fix some of the outlines where the hair overlaps her face.

[Image: roomprev1.png]
Luna's room. Probably need to go back and fix the bed sheets, and find a different color for the lampshade.
From left to right: Closet doorknob, bookshelf, door, lightswitch, light, dresser, picture frame, bed, nightstand with lamp, windowsill.

Some shots of all this stuff in-game (except the other character, and the mugshot). Since my last posting I have remade the game from scratch in GameMaker: Studio, an upgrade from GM8.1. You can also see an updated running animation from what I have above; I had her lean forward a bit to make it seem more like she was really running.

Here are some higher-quality shots, since the video is a bit compressed. This is at double the normal resolution (350x250).
[Image: gmsprev1.png]
[Image: gmsprev2.png]
[Image: gmsprev3.png]

EDIT: Some expressions for the Luna mugshot I have above.
[Image: faces-prev.png]

RE: Spark's Sprites v2.0 - SparkMouse - 01-08-2017

Wow, it's almost been a year since I've been around here. Doubt anyone missed me but I felt like posting some stuff I've been working on.

SU pixelart thing
[Image: here-comes-a-thought.gif]
Process

Drifloon tamagotchi thing I worked on a bit while I was having a rough night
[Image: floon.gif] [Image: sleep.gif] [Image: distress.gif] [Image: anger.gif] [Image: egg.gif]

Luna portraits with updated colors (I got a new monitor and finally realized all my colors were garbage)
[Image: tumblr_inline_od87f7dwHw1r222a0_500.gif]

Placeholder punch animation
[Image: punch-prev.gif]

Luna's sister, portrait and tentative base sprite.
[Image: selena-prev.png]
[Image: selena-small.png]

Some gameplay videos, mostly proof of concept stuff and testing out various gimmicks I thought of. None of this is particularly polished, I'm focusing on getting the engine to a point where I feel comfortable doing things before I get to anything substantive.
Only the lamp video has music I made myself, the others are audio swaps.