The VG Resource
Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-133.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-134.html)
+--- Thread: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread (/thread-25352.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Vipershark - 03-05-2015

I'm pretty sure there's a different thread somewhere but go ahead and make a separate non-japan cartoon thread if you'd like.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - felineki - 03-06-2015

I'm a big fan of Cat Ninden Teyandee/Samurai Pizza Cats. It was great to see them finally get DVD releases recently, even though I do have a few issues with the translation work on the Teyandee set.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Kosheh - 03-06-2015

(03-06-2015, 12:39 AM)felineki Wrote: I'm a big fan of Cat Ninden Teyandee/Samurai Pizza Cats

I'm gonna be honest I didn't even know it actually had a non-Japanese name, I thought it was just like a goofy American/Japanese animation collabo given the goofy Animaniacs-like dialogue from the US show that I've seen like...once.

And then I wiki'd it. Holy shit apparently that's another Sabanization - CNT apparently took itself a little more seriously. Oh. Okay. Maybe it's time that I sit down and actually watch it.

I've been trying to get ahold of Dragon Ball Z to watch through - all 9 seasons. I'm on the fence on whether I should watch the original series or Kai.  The ridiculous filler episodes (like where Goku has to get his driver's license) don't really bother me; I just wanna see the muscle supermen shoot all the beams, Goku die three times and watch Namek blow up like another 6.

Does Kai actually look better - like the jump from the original FMA to Brotherhood? If so, then I might as well just hold off a little longer until I can grab some Kai for my--

* Kosheh is interrupted as BlueBlur flies in on his nimbus cloud to disclose tediously specific info on the two series and which one is flat-out better to sit through

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - ~Axis~ - 03-06-2015

*BlueBlur flies in on his nimbus cloud to disclose tediously specific info on the two series and which one is flat-out better to sit through

Okay. Kai definately has better image quality and is much better to look at than the original version. ONLY THE IMAGE QUALITY. Animations and everything else is the exact same. It also has much better voice acting and sound effect quality. The script has also been changed to resmble the manga more closely. All filler has been cut out so this is the best choice if you basicly just want to see the manga on a tv screen. But you know what sucks? Nothing after the Cell Games Saga. It ends when Cell dies. So you'll be missing out on some gooey pink enemy that blasts the shit outta everything in sight.

If you enjoyed the filler episodes of Goku getting a drivers liscence, then get the original series. The fillers in this series arent the usual filler in other anime where it takes the main story on a permanent detour and the characters do nothing but boring crap. No. The filler here actually entertains you. They actually bring out the characters personality through extended fight scenes and speeches, but mostly the former. There are several scenes where characters really bring out their character through filler which isnt present in Kai or the manga. The script is different from the manga, which is one reason that a reboot like Kai was necessary, but by no means is it boring. It's amazing. Vegeta, Goku, Frieza and other characters get to say some pretty awesome stuff. You also get to hear the Funimation audio tracks in the background which fits the scenes well (unless you hate guitar riffs. yeah you'll be getting a lot of that). And you get the Buu saga as well! Yay!

I've watched both versions 3 times over so you're pretty much getting this from a DBZ expert. Of you get Kai just get it uncut. Hope I helped! Nerd

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Kosheh - 03-06-2015

(03-06-2015, 01:21 PM)BlueBlur97 Wrote: I've watched both versions 3 times over so you're pretty much getting this from a DBZ expert. Of you get Kai just get it uncut. Hope I helped! Nerd

You totally did. Nerd

Though I just kinda realized, cut/uncut is an actual thing with DBZ. d'oh. thanks

I'm just gonna take a crapshoot and assume that the old Ocean/Saban dub is the heavily censored one (HFIL etc.) and the Funimation one is the uncut one?

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - ~Axis~ - 03-06-2015

Actually all of the dubs including funimation have censored versions, including Kai. Not only is some harsh language removed but so are blood and certain nudity (like gohan reverting to normal form after an oozaru transformation). Uncut is always best regardless. Happy fight watchin!

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - TomGuycott - 03-06-2015

(03-06-2015, 12:39 AM)felineki Wrote: It was great to see them finally get DVD releases recently

FFFFFFFTTTT hang on, I'll be right back after I find these.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - felineki - 03-07-2015

They were from Discotek, who have really put out a lot of great releases recently. Speaking of which, just last month they announced they were going to release the Street Fighter 2 animated movie, the Darkstalkers OVA, and the USA Street Fighter carton series. Looking forward to those.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Dolphman - 03-07-2015

It's funny with the Darkstalkers OVA, they feature veteran Canadian voice actors in the English dub, few of the Beast Wars cast no less.
one of the being Scott Mcneil who reprises his role of Lord Raptor from that godawful American made cartoon by Graz Entertainment.
Yes the same studio that made the 90s X-men cartoon. This video sums it up.

In both, Mcneil gives Raptor a very bad Australian accent that sounds more like Cockney British. (Ala Bart VS Australia from The Simpsons)
Speaking of the OVA, i did enjoy it, but i wish there was more. In fact, the franchise needs more love as much as Mega Man now.
Aren't we getting a bit sick of Street Fighter lately? Because that's all Capcom cares about these days.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - felineki - 03-07-2015

The Darkstalkers OVA has its good and bad points. Visually it's amazing, and incredibly faithful to the games. So many animations and poses and such recreated perfectly. You can tell the animators really did their homework. But the story falls apart more and more as it goes on. Also lots of time spent on unnecessary stuff like Hsien-Ko and Mei-Ling's past (if this were a fully-fledged TV series with dozens of episodes I could understand devoting some time to that, but in a 4 episode OVA?). And the ending with Donovan suddenly coming to some sort of revelation and instantly defeating Pyron was really underwhelming. But I am thankful that Discotek picked it up, and intend on buying the new DVD release.

I agree that Darkstalkers needs more love, but this sort of thing just seems to be a symptom of the game industry at large these days. It's gotten too big for its own good, games cost so much to make now that anything that's not a gigantic cash cow gets neglected. Doesn't help that Capcom's most recent attempt at "gauging interest" in the series was nothing more than another rerelease of the same mid 90s games that have already been released on several different consoles. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's great for what it is. Just like all the other online ports of their fighters Capcom put out that generation. But obviously it's not going to draw much attention from the gaming community at large.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - psychospacecow - 04-11-2015

Its an audio nightmare, but if you want to see the new saiyan form, it shows up at about :50. If not, its in the thumbnail so I spoiler-ed it.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Dolphman - 04-11-2015

Hyper Sayain Goku? (Sorry, i had to) But i have yet to check out the recent movies, as i still haven't seen Battle of the Gods.

Anyway, i'm still waiting for Madman (Australia's major anime distributor) to explain why they delayed the Sailor Moon redub DVD release.
People on their forums and Facebook are wondering as much as me. Might as well just wait and collect the rest of Space Dandy and Kill La Kil.
Still, finding anime i want to check out is hard, especially due to how i avoid the subtitled only ones like the plague.
Not a fan of reading subtitles on an animated series or film. Doesn't feel the same as anything live action to me.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - psychospacecow - 04-11-2015

I believe they're calling it Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. So, SSGSSJ

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - ~Axis~ - 04-11-2015

He's already overpowered the SSJ4 transformation in DragonBall GT. Damn, that was quick. The last time I saw Goku over power a previous SS transformation in the anime, it took several YEARS.

I guess we could kiss the GT storyline goodbye now theat the story line is starting to go slightly off course but thats just how I see it... Blank

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - NICKtendo DS - 04-11-2015

While it is stupid overpowered, it's a form that makes more sense than even SS3, let alone SS4. I really dig the logic behind it, but Vegeta becoming SSG should be enough for a new hero transformation. I am bothered by it, but not as bothered as I was with SS3. Call me weird.