The VG Resource
Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-133.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-134.html)
+--- Thread: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread (/thread-25352.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Dat DBZ Soundtrack tho - The Anime OST Thread - psychospacecow - 08-10-2014

I wasn't sure if I should put OST in the anime or music thread so I did neither.

I've got to say, the Pokemon Origins OST is pretty good. If you know some anime music that's great, share it here.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Baegal - 08-10-2014

(08-10-2014, 12:51 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: I honestly don't understand what people like about Brotherhood. There's too many characters, none of them are developed very well and it was hard for me to care about anything that was happening. It's "cool" sometimes I guess? That's about it though...
whaaaaaat?
Are you saying compared to the original, or just as a standalone anime?

I could understand if you said you didn't like it and the orignial as a series (to each its own), but I think Brotherhood is muuuch better than from what I've seen of the original version.

As for brotherhood itself though, I really got attached to the characters. Maybe not with every character (because frankly a lot of them didn't need to have that much of a spotlight, so I wasn't overly bothered by lack of characterization, because they were just that--supporting characters), but I really loved the connection with Ed/Al and trying to get Al's body back. I mean I have a twin brother, so maybe it's just that, but I really loved how that part was done

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - puggsoy - 08-10-2014

I've read the Fullmetal Alchemist manga, which is the story which Brotherhood used. I loved it, mostly due to the story (as opposed to action or humour, although those were great too). I've been thinking of watching the first anime series to sort of re-experience it with a different storyline, would people recommend this? Or will I be sorely disappointed and should just watch Brotherhood (to re-experience the same story, but animated).

I'll probably watch them both sometime anyway but I'd like to know what people suggest.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Shade - 08-10-2014

(08-10-2014, 08:31 PM)puggsoy Wrote: I've read the Fullmetal Alchemist manga, which is the story which Brotherhood used. I loved it, mostly due to the story (as opposed to action or humour, although those were great too). I've been thinking of watching the first anime series to sort of re-experience it with a different storyline, would people recommend this? Or will I be sorely disappointed and should just watch Brotherhood (to re-experience the same story, but animated).

I'll probably watch them both sometime anyway but I'd like to know what people suggest.
I think any fan of the series should give both a try, personally. I like both series for different reasons.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Mystie - 08-10-2014

(08-10-2014, 08:07 PM)Baegal Wrote: As for brotherhood itself though, I really got attached to the characters. Maybe not with every character (because frankly a lot of them didn't need to have that much of a spotlight, so I wasn't overly bothered by lack of characterization, because they were just that--supporting characters), but I really loved the connection with Ed/Al and trying to get Al's body back. I mean I have a twin brother, so maybe it's just that, but I really loved how that part was done

Exactly. I don't understand how anyone could possibly dislike the characters in Brotherhood. Many of them are very well-written and well-developed.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Baegal - 08-10-2014

It's far from terrible--I just don't particularly have the time at the moment to sit through it again if I know I won't love it is all

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Baegal - 08-18-2014

I finally saw The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

It was really good!
BUT

I feel like it opened up more questions than brought closure (though on closer inspection it seems there's much more to the series than the 2 seasons and movie)

MEH
it was nice (Yuki oh gosh), but I still don't think it justifies Endless Eight.
I'm not really sure what to feel right now
I'm not even sure I entirely understand it Very Sad

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Kosheh - 09-23-2014

Just watched the first ep of Kill la Kill (yes, like a year later)

I have to admit I liked...uh, stuff about it; it really takes all there is about anime and ramps it up to 11.

The action is cranked up to 11.
The fight scenes are cranked up to 11.

The tits and ass are cranked up to 11.

Now I don't know if I'm a baby or what, but there's just too much underboob in this show for me. Now don't get me wrong - I LOVE underboob, but this is just too much underboob. I actually don't want to continue watching this show as I'm not comfortable with this much underboob. ):

EDIT: Ehhh I'll give it a second chance, but this first ep feels a little desperate to obtain my desire of extreme underboob.

do later episodes have less underboob

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Shade - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 10:56 PM)Kosheh Wrote: Just watched the first ep of Kill la Kill (yes, like a year later)

I have to admit I liked...uh, stuff about it; it really takes all there is about anime and ramps it up to 11.

The action is cranked up to 11.
The fight scenes are cranked up to 11.

The tits and ass are cranked up to 11.

Now I don't know if I'm a baby or what, but there's just too much underboob in this show for me. Now don't get me wrong - I LOVE underboob, but this is just too much underboob. I actually don't want to continue watching this show as I'm not comfortable with this much underboob. ):

EDIT: Ehhh I'll give it a second chance, but this first ep feels a little desperate to obtain my desire of extreme underboob.

do later episodes have less underboob
I heard this show has a problem with underboob, does it so far?

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Kosheh - 09-24-2014

Uh, WELL I watched ep 2. It had a lil less underboob. There were still scenes that they're just milking sex out of. ):

I have a feeling said "exploitation" though actually like ties into the plot and I'm just being a shrew about it. It's got a No More Heroes vibe but feels like "what if Travis Touchdown wore a speedo that gave him superpowers?" Spoiler:The entire premise is that Ryuko doesn't kill the person after a battle, but completely destroys their uniform, and once she does she obtains a piece of fabric from it. Maybe she'll get more dressed and maybe those fabrics will do an actual thing for her (like more powers).
Also, it's kind of formulaic. I sort of like the formula though, so I'll keep going with it, but I feel like I'm grudging myself though it at the moment. I've heard it picks up and obviously I can't be considered one of the cool kids unless I finish watching it. :V

Ehh, it's weird - I feel like if I was like 7 years younger I'd be all over this show - like since I'm older, my tastes have changed somewhat?
Like, this feels a bit like a shonen premise but it's clearly aimed towards older viewers...
who's the audience?

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Mystie - 09-24-2014

I haven't seen Kill La Kill, but no matter how much fanservice something has, it can NEVER be as bad or as extreme as High School of the Dead.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Tellis - 09-24-2014

(09-24-2014, 09:02 AM)Kosheh Wrote: Like, this feels a bit like a shonen premise but it's clearly aimed towards older viewers...
who's the audience?

You kinda answered your own question. It's pretty obviously aimed at older dudes who grew up watching shonen stuff. And I will say straight up that the sexualization of stuff does serve a sort of purpose but it could have been handled so much better, imo. I think you'll see what I mean, I don't want to say much more. I will say that, though I enjoyed watching it when it came out... I wouldn't exactly recommend it to many people. It's fun but it's nothing ~amazing~.

Also, it feeling "formulaic" is kind of on purpose? Did you ever watch Gurren Lagann? 'cause it shares a lot similarities with that, in terms of scale.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - MoneyMan - 09-28-2014

IMO Kill La Kill actually handles sexuality in a pretty mature way. Like, outside of the first three episodes there's barely any shots that are like OH BABY MMMM LOOKADIS GIRL SHE'S SO SEXY (those shots pretty much served to show how uncomfortable she was anyway), her fanservice suit is just a thing that is.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Maxpphire - 10-24-2014

I dunno I have my problems with Kill la Kill.

ANYWAY AS SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T EVEN REALLY WATCH ANIME ANYMORE

I found a series that I really really like so far. It's called Hourou Musuko or for you guys wanna know the English Name, Wandering Son.

It's a slice of life anime about these kids entering middle school, and well basically about discovering themselves as people. It's amazing well written, considering how it deals with LGBT issues, it's done tastefully well and the characters feel like real humans. It's very rare where people in an anime feel like actual people, they are that well fleshed out.

It's also really nice to have someone in fiction I can relate to on a very deep in personal level.

RE: Sword Art Appreciation - Anime Thread - Kosheh - 10-24-2014

(10-24-2014, 03:25 AM)Kat Wrote: It's very rare where people in an anime feel like actual people, they are that well fleshed out.

It's also really nice to have someone in fiction I can relate to on a very deep in personal level.

Careful Kat!! Don't identify with the anime characters too closely, or else you might become a princess of 801 celestial objects. ;__;