The VG Resource
What are you playing? c'mon, tell me punk! - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-133.html)
+--- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-135.html)
+--- Thread: What are you playing? c'mon, tell me punk! (/thread-25313.html)

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - Monobrobe - 02-01-2016

(02-01-2016, 12:34 PM)Kosheh Wrote:
(02-01-2016, 08:46 AM)Monobrobe Wrote: Got the Jak & Daxter collection for the Vita. Starting to regret it. I usually like to think I'm pretty good at platformers, but the controls for the first game just feel weird. I mean, it says 2001, so I'm assuming that's when it came out. So I guess I can't blame it too much? So I finally get fed up with the game and decide to just watch a walkthrough of the rest of the game so I know what happens before moving on to the next game. The PS3 version runs infinitely better than the Vita version. I really should've seen that coming, but...
Someone told me that it's not just me, but I'm starting to doubt that.
I hate not having a PS3 sometimes.
Well, here's hoping the second and third games are better. I'm getting the same vibe from this first game as I did from the first Sly game. That vibe being "This will probably be my least favorite of the series."

It's actually legit not just you. The PS3 port isn't that spectacular either though from what I've heard.

AND SPEAKING OF WHICH I've been playing through the Ratchet and Clank HD Collection on PS3 (I'm more than 75% of the way through Going Commando) as I wanted to get an idea of what to expect when I go see the movie. However, the HD Collection ports are...really lousy and feel completely rushed, as there's broken models and textures don't display properly. :/ The game's still fun as hell though and I'm kinda curious how the Future trilogy is (though I've heard there's big gameplay changes in them...?) because frankly, this series is really starting to grow on me. It's like a mascot with a gun done right. ;P
Oh, so it's not? Well, that makes me feel better. It's just the PS3 version seemed to run so smoothly when I watched it. I probably shouldn't think about it too much, or I'll just start seeing issues everywhere and won't enjoy the games.

As for Ratchet and Clank, I haven't been able to get the series myself, so I've been watching walkthroughs. I just started the Future series and it's really nice. There's some sixaxis controls or whatever (They're motion controls, apparently?) that look kinda frustrating to deal with, but there's not too many moments you have to use them. In the first of the Future trilogy there isn't, anyways. It didn't look much different from Up Your Arsenal, just better graphics (and BOX PHYSICS). Of course maybe the other two (technically three because of that DLC) change a lot.

I wanted to try out the series too, but the Future trilogy seems to only be on the PS3, which is a shame, because I wanted to try them. I could get the collection ports, but I'm not so sure... Maybe I'll see if I can find the PS2 versions for cheap.
But besides that, I'm holding out until I get Project X Zone 2 and God Eater 2. Those are games I DEFINITELY want to spend my money on. And God Eater 2 was made for the Vita (and PSP) so it's gotta play well, right? ....Right?

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - Davy Jones - 02-01-2016

Just finished Astonishia Story (PSP):

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - miyabi95_ - 02-01-2016

(02-01-2016, 06:15 AM)Kriven Wrote: Anti-Tetris?

Did you like, actively protest the playing of Tetris or something?

Not really, lol xD. I was just too spoiled by Super Puzzle Fighter II X and Puzzle Bobble (color-matching games) to play any variation of Tetris (line-matching) Tongue.

Honestly though, Bombliss is a great fusion of Tetris and SPFIIX. Basically you put small bombs together to create large bombs (the "color-matching" portion), then the size of the explosion depends on how many lines you have complete (the line-matching portion). To make it easier, there's no time involved and the fall speed stays the same no matter what, because you're trying to clear a puzzle, rather than clear lines to score points. the only way you can lose is by stacking too high or running out of the 100 pieces you start with. It does get more difficult as you progress because you start getting pieces that are oddly-shaped (not exactly tetrominos anymore). Overall, it's a rather fun and relaxing romp.

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - Kriven - 02-04-2016

I just got an XBONE earlier this week... I know I shouldn't have spent the money, but Newegg made it tempting what with the "Hey, we'll throw in three more games and three months of Gold ontop of Gears of War Ultimate, Rare Replay, and Ori... all games you were planning to get anyway!"

So of course what have I been doing with it? Using a current gen console to play a last gen port of a Nintendo 64 game... I've been replaying Banjo-Kazooie. I'm actually having a lot of fun with it, like always, but I was afraid the port wasn't going to be very well done... but I think it's pretty great, and better than the original in a lot of ways. Like not having to recollect every fucking music note when I die in Rusty Bucket Bay. Ugh.

I'm also playing through Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for GBC, since I never got to beat it as a kid. There's a lot more that could be done with it, and it's overall pretty tedious and boring, but I'm just kind of determined to do this. It's one of those games where you can see what it could have been with a proper party system and all that, and even though this particular game is a little lame (though it does have its charm at times), it makes me wish for the ultimate Harry Potter JRPG we never had...

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - saifors - 02-05-2016

Got Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth today and got 2 hours clocked in so far, and I'm enjoying it, still don't know if it will top Dawn and Dusk for my favourite Digimon game, but it appears to at least be a close runner-up.

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - Kriven - 02-07-2016

Finished Banjo-Kazooie... completely forgot how much bullshit some parts of this game can be (fuck you, Gruntilda fight... and Bottle's Jigsaw Puzzles!), but it was still as enjoyable as ever. I didn't notice too many difference between the version in Rare Replay/XBLM and the original game, although it was noticeably darker in some locations which hurt the atmosphere a little bit and in very few situations made things difficult to see (like the pipe in the room where you fight the Mutant Snippets is almost invisible) and there was significant noise distortion and crackling while underwater, at least compared with the original (which did utilize some distortion for an aquatic effect [please correct me if this is an instance where "Affect" should be used, I have a hard time trying to distinguish between them and I'm really trying to nail that]). The harsh underwater sounds made me avoid those portions, but otherwise the port was pretty accurate, and some of the adjustments made (like music notes behaving more as they do in Banjo-Tooie) make it a little more preferable. It's probably the version I'll replay in the future.

While visiting my grandmother's house I started playing through Legend of Dark Witch on 3DS, which I got on sale for like a buck just because and didn't really expect anything good to come from it... but it's actually a pretty solid game with cute characters and enjoyable gameplay which hits that border between bullshit and rewarding at just the right angle to be addicting. The reward-risk aspect to the leveling system helps that dramatically, as it keeps the player engaged in how they want to approach every situation, and there's so many different ways to go about everything. All I can really say negatively is with some of the boss behaviors being a little too difficult (although the free-choice stage order and the way the bosses are set up in general remind me of Mega Man, in a good way) in conjunction with the somewhat stiff (by design) character controls. It would have been nice if the levels themselves were a little less linear, because there's potential for the game to fully embrace its platforming elements, but they never really go through with that. The only other things (and it's somewhat minor) is that I haven't fully grasped how the secondary weapons work. When you beat a boss you gain one of their signature abilities, but it looks like they have shared ammo and can be used only in very limited amounts... then they're out for the rest of the level. That's not a problem because Zizou's primary weapon is pretty good and there isn't a real reason to change anyway (except during the final battle where the weapon gained from the tiger girl's battle is pretty important). Overall though, a great game... I guess I'm more or less actually done with it since I finished the main campaign (didn't find all the hidden gems or whatever, but I don't think I will... This isn't the kind of the game that hits my OCD hard enough to want to 100% it), and now there's just an extra mode with a secret character where basically you have the same levels with some different dialogue and completely different gameplay. Haven't decided if I'll go through all of that or if I'll call it done.

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - Kosheh - 02-08-2016

(02-01-2016, 01:58 PM)Monobrobe Wrote: Oh, so it's not? Well, that makes me feel better. It's just the PS3 version seemed to run so smoothly when I watched it. I probably shouldn't think about it too much, or I'll just start seeing issues everywhere and won't enjoy the games.

Oh oops actually I stand corrected - I should probably say that NONE of Sony's PS2-anthology console ports are really that great, but I do have to admit that the Jak and Sly collections are actually really well-done. The GOW and Ratchet and Clank compilations kinda felt lazily done, though.

(02-01-2016, 01:58 PM)Monobrobe Wrote: As for Ratchet and Clank, I haven't been able to get the series myself, so I've been watching walkthroughs. I just started the Future series and it's really nice. There's some sixaxis controls or whatever (They're motion controls, apparently?) that look kinda frustrating to deal with, but there's not too many moments you have to use them. In the first of the Future trilogy there isn't, anyways. It didn't look much different from Up Your Arsenal, just better graphics (and BOX PHYSICS). Of course maybe the other two (technically three because of that DLC) change a lot.

I wanted to try out the series too, but the Future trilogy seems to only be on the PS3, which is a shame, because I wanted to try them. I could get the collection ports, but I'm not so sure... Maybe I'll see if I can find the PS2 versions for cheap.
But besides that, I'm holding out until I get Project X Zone 2 and God Eater 2. Those are games I DEFINITELY want to spend my money on. And God Eater 2 was made for the Vita (and PSP) so it's gotta play well, right? ....Right?

Wait, so you "started" the series but you...don't have a PS3? uh

wat

The nice thing about the Ratchet and Clank series is that the gameplay actually sorta reminds me of a slowed-down, single-player Splatoon. It's not as intense, of course as Splatoon is but it'll be a big help getting back into the series as I'd feel a bit "overloaded" when playing it sometimes :/
You can actually find the Ratchet PS2 series for pretty cheap - I can easily find each game locally under $10 each and I've sometimes seen the trilogy sold online for under $10 total!
As a little crash course: The first one is alright, but it's easily overshadowed by the second and third, which introduce an RPG-style leveling system to weapons. The second one has you manually installing "mods" to weapons, but the third has weapon mods and stuff upgrade automatically and they max out at level 5, turning into completely different weapons. The second and third also introduce "arenas" (2 has just like "colosseum" fights, and 3 has obstacle courses and fights. 3's concept of "arena" play basically became a fourth standalone game, Ratchet Deadlocked) And I don't know if it's just me, but each subsequent entry in the series feels shorter than the previous one (I've heard "Into the Nexus" is only six hours long?! But then again, the idea behind the games is their replayability, which is literally the only way you'll accumulate 1 million bolts for the top-level weapons and armor: multiple playthroughs)

I picked up the Future series last week (literally, 1~3 and Into the Nexus in the same paycheck. Easier because ITN comes with a voucher for 2, which is digital-only) and they look incredibly pretty, but I want to finish the trilogy first. Tongue

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - Monobrobe - 02-15-2016

(02-08-2016, 11:52 AM)Kosheh Wrote: Oh oops actually I stand corrected - I should probably say that NONE of Sony's PS2-anthology console ports are really that great, but I do have to admit that the Jak and Sly collections are actually really well-done. The GOW and Ratchet and Clank compilations kinda felt lazily done, though.

I can attest for the Sly collection. It felt really nice to play. It also wasn't nearly as laggy, despite also being on the Vita. Then again, the environments in the Jak and Daxter games were REALLY busy. The first time I went to the Haven Forest in Jak II I was like "HOLY CRAP THE LAG IS GONE!!" because it was so much more closed off and simple. It was glorious.
I really wish I could've had a better time with that series, though. Some of the controls were just... really crappy. Like the turrets and vehicles. And the constant guys crashing into you and flipping you over. Making you have to redo a mission because you ran out of time. So. Frustrating.

(02-08-2016, 11:52 AM)Kosheh Wrote: Wait, so you "started" the series but you...don't have a PS3? uh

wat

Like I said, I watched walkthroughs online. I know that's pretty frowned upon, but I had no other options. I wanted to know what they were like. And I got invested in the story so I wanted to know how it ended. I'm kinda impatient like that. At least it's been a while since I've last watched videos online purely for a game's story. I usually just watch LPers for the people playing the games.
So if I ever do end up getting Ratchet and Clank, I guess I'll stick to the PS2 versions.

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - Kriven - 02-15-2016

So I decide to play the second character campaign in Legend of Dark Witch and it... was fucking hard as fuck, I'm still kind of raging.

But I beat it.

The levels were pretty much the same (secret collectibles were in different locations) and the difference in gameplay between the two characters is almost as dramatic as that of Shovel Knight and Plague Knight, so I didn't feel like I was having the same experience twice. It was nice that way... I definitely enjoyed it, but it was so rage-inducing that I don't think I would eagerly do it again, so I'm not sure if I can really recommend it to anybody...

Going to finish that GBC Harry Potter later this week (tomorrow night, maybe?). After that I'm not sure. I think I'll finish off some of the longer games I haven't made the time to really play through, and maybe mix in a few shorter titles. We'll see.

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - Monobrobe - 02-19-2016

I'm playing Project X Zone 2 and I'm crying because this one chapter consists of the thing I absolutely HATED from the last game.
EDIT: One of the characters in this game is from God Eater 2, and in my rage against this current chapter, I have to point out just how much I hate one of the girls' outfits. It just... Holy crap it makes me so mad. Look at this.

Does this... Does this even look practical? I absolutely hate how the girls in these games wear such skimpy outfits. It's not even practical! I mean, I really shouldn't be surprised considering this is Japan, but...
Also I'm pretty sure there's a number of women who don't even have underwear, if their outfits are anything to go by.
Ugh. I want to get through this chapter as quick as possible so I can go back to enjoying the game.

EDIT2: Well now that I've gotten past that chapter I feel loads better. The best part is that the characters acknowledged Nana was barely wearing anything on top. "Ms. Nearly-topless", I believe someone called her.
I still really like the humor in this game, though. The fact that the characters acknowledge some of the more iffy designs makes me feel better about them.
I should note that I have no problem with Morrigan because, well, she's a succubus. She's supposed to be fanservicey. Which is kinda funny because her outfit is actually pretty tame compared to some others (like Felicia).

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - miyabi95_ - 02-21-2016

Played a couple recent games at a comic convention (full games, not demos).

Street Fighter V
I did not expect this game to be out so soon! There was a teaser trailer literally shown at the last E3, and next thing we know, it's on shelves already like six months later xP! Anyway, I like how they made the game...Simple. It's as simple as Street Fighter II and III. IV has a gigantic roster with way too many customizations and for someone to 100% complete the game, they would have to spend hours after hours of playing every mode as every character on every difficulty. Street Fighter V makes competitive gaming less confusing by having a smaller roster and few modes with gameplay that is innovative and worthwhile. I don't have much to say about the graphics other than it's almost the same style as IV. Nothing too new or exciting. It's not my favorite game in the world, but it's not a bad game at all.

Splatoon
BIIIIG LEARNING CURVE FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO DON'T PLAY FIRST-PERSON SHOOTERS! Ugh, the controls took me at least 60% of the time I was playing to get a decent grasp on. They weren't terribly confusing, but it's been a while since I had to think so hard about them. Eventually, I got the idea and was able to complete a mission...I had to get a fish thing or whatever. Still, I thought it was fun and wish they'd port it to the 3DS already. If they can port Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros., then they can port Splatoon.

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - Kosheh - 02-22-2016

yo ilu but like
dont put colors on your text. this post is literally unreadable on the black theme.
(02-21-2016, 08:56 PM)JazzGW Wrote: Street Fighter V
I did not expect this game to be out so soon! There was a teaser trailer literally shown at the last E3, and next thing we know, it's on shelves already like six months later xP! Anyway, I like how they made the game...Simple. It's as simple as Street Fighter II and III. IV has a gigantic roster with way too many customizations and for someone to 100% complete the game, they would have to spend hours after hours of playing every mode as every character on every difficulty. Street Fighter V makes competitive gaming less confusing by having a smaller roster and few modes with gameplay that is innovative and worthwhile. I don't have much to say about the graphics other than it's almost the same style as IV. Nothing too new or exciting. It's not my favorite game in the world, but it's not a bad game at all.

I've also been playing SFV. Despite my pals making fun of me for playing a broken game that has no single player content. ):
I fucking LOVE using Laura though; she's got a real snowballing kinda playstyle. Rashid really isn't bad either, and feels more like a KOF character

(02-21-2016, 08:56 PM)JazzGW Wrote: Splatoon
BIIIIG LEARNING CURVE FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO DON'T PLAY FIRST-PERSON SHOOTERS! Ugh, the controls took me at least 60% of the time I was playing to get a decent grasp on. They weren't terribly confusing, but it's been a while since I had to think so hard about them. Eventually, I got the idea and was able to complete a mission...I had to get a fish thing or whatever. Still, I thought it was fun and wish they'd port it to the 3DS already. If they can port Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros., then they can port Splatoon.

It's actually got a bit of a learning curve even if you DON'T play FPS games. You can actually turn off the gyroscope controls but they're actually half of why Splatoon is so fun to play (plus, it makes it easier if you don't play FPS games). I just got back into Splatoon, actually cos my friend invited me to watch her stream and I'm like "damn, i could kick ur butt" and now im gonna kick her butt tonight

but, if you really wanna get better at the game and you have a bit of expendable funds (or a beefy computer, up to you) I'd actually suggest playing one of the mainline Ratchet and Clank games, believe it or not. It doesn't play EXACTLY the same but it'll give you the twitch reflexes you need/basic game sense (the stress on stealth play and conservation of ammo, for instance) needed to keep up in Splatoon. Once again it's a lot slower that Splatoon, but it'll help reinforce the basics.

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - TomGuycott - 02-22-2016

Just started Witcher III yesterday. Just beat the griffin, and it seems like no matter what I do people get offended, which is funny I guess.

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - Koh - 02-22-2016

It's metaphysical, yet accurate, representation of our own world, no?

RE: What Are you playing? tis the season - miyabi95_ - 02-22-2016

(02-22-2016, 08:25 AM)Kosheh Wrote: yo ilu but like
dont put colors on your text. this post is literally unreadable on the black theme.

I've also been playing SFV. Despite my pals making fun of me for playing a broken game that has no single player content. ):
I fucking LOVE using Laura though; she's got a real snowballing kinda playstyle. Rashid really isn't bad either, and feels more like a KOF character

It's actually got a bit of a learning curve even if you DON'T play FPS games. You can actually turn off the gyroscope controls but they're actually half of why Splatoon is so fun to play (plus, it makes it easier if you don't play FPS games). I just got back into Splatoon, actually cos my friend invited me to watch her stream and I'm like "damn, i could kick ur butt" and now im gonna kick her butt tonight

but, if you really wanna get better at the game and you have a bit of expendable funds (or a beefy computer, up to you) I'd actually suggest playing one of the mainline Ratchet and Clank games, believe it or not. It doesn't play EXACTLY the same but it'll give you the twitch reflexes you need/basic game sense (the stress on stealth play and conservation of ammo, for instance) needed to keep up in Splatoon. Once again it's a lot slower that Splatoon, but it'll help reinforce the basics.

Sorry about that, I only changed the font - don't see why the color changed as well.

I will say that Karin is amazing in SFV! Sure, she's a blatant clone of Lili from Tekken, but I think Street Fighter needed someone with her fighting style. The only other Capcom character like Lili would have to be Ingrid, who only appeared in a couple 2D games. Karin was kinda boring and floaty in Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3, so I'm glad I had an opportunity to appreciate her more as a fighting game character.

Weird thing is, I had more trouble because the controls were set to control the camera with the right stick, and not gyroscope. I'm left-handed, so a stick on the right does not bode well for me, especially if it controls the camera. Just simply attacking enemies was so frustrating because I had to keep an eye on a moving enemy while making sure I have the target set on them by using the right stick. I suppose now that you mention gyro controls, it probably would have been easier for me with those settings Tongue.