The VG Resource
♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-133.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-134.html)
+--- Thread: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ (/thread-25309.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Omnikariz - 07-08-2014

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Sengir - 07-08-2014

I do not listen to many musicians, but a lot of songs. Mostly I use iTunes to buy songs these days, because it is cheaper than buying a complete CD.

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - water dog - 07-09-2014

(07-08-2014, 05:40 AM)Oiyn Wrote: I do not listen to many musicians, but a lot of songs. Mostly I use iTunes to buy songs these days, because it is cheaper than buying a complete CD.

I have this weird OCD thing where I have to have the complete set of something. I feel uneasy about making playlists because I don't like to mix the songs.

I also like to buy physical copies of albums I like, but then the OCD kicks in again and I have to have every album by that artist to have a complete set.

I know. I'm weird.

In other news I've been listening to way too much Chvrches because I wanna be the synth guy in a synth-pop band some day.

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - megaMasquerain - 07-10-2014

Friend and I found this guy tonight while looking for bands/artists who are similar to that neutral milk hotel/rap mashup album and holy shit

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Omnikariz - 07-14-2014

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Chris2Balls [:B] - 07-15-2014

So smooth. MF DOOM is cool

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Gwen - 07-16-2014

Fuck this dumbfuck Earth, I can only post 1 video per message.

Now I'm not going to share the radical atmospheric metal with you >:I
(I'm listening to the new Fallujah and the Contortionist songs available)

I had this whole write up for everything too.
Ya'll are totally, for sure, definitely, absolutely, completely, undeniably, without a doubt, positively, something something something, missing out on it.

4(fur, four) sure.

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Tellis - 07-16-2014

(07-16-2014, 12:28 AM)Gwen Wrote: Fuck this dumbfuck Earth, I can only post 1 video per message.

Now I'm not going to share the radical atmospheric metal with you >:I
(I'm listening to the new Fallujah and the Contortionist songs available)

I had this whole write up for everything too.
Ya'll are totally, for sure, definitely, absolutely, completely, undeniably, without a doubt, positively, something something something, missing out on it.

4(fur, four) sure.

post links, then, please! Very Sad

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Gwen - 07-16-2014

For you I shall Tellis.

Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails
Fallujah have taken death metal into a new plane of existence, their blend of atmospheric and technical death metal shines a beacon for the metal world, there are still plenty of nooks and crannies to explore, and Fallujah are leading the way into the hazy dark depths of death metal. This is just off of the three songs you can listen to as of now, I don't know what to expect when the album drops, only that I will probably faint from the amazement sure to be had.
Carved From Stone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPHSpHvSUA
Levitation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpgofR2xYvA
Sapphire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPypRw7yvVQ

The Contortionist: Language
Language I: Intuition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nyWvGJM3rE

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - BullockDS - 07-16-2014

Although my top favorite genre of music is power/symphonic metal (favorite band of the genres being Blind Guardian), I've been listening more to softer stuff lately, mostly 70s-90s prog-rock and the like. Examples:
And for a total tonal whiplash, here's some of the metal I've been listening to recently:

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Rystar - 07-16-2014

(07-16-2014, 01:00 PM)BullockDS Wrote: Although my top favorite genre of music is power/symphonic metal (favorite band of the genres being Blind Guardian), I've been listening more to softer stuff lately, mostly 70s-90s prog-rock and the like. Examples:
And for a total tonal whiplash, here's some of the metal I've been listening to recently:

The Cygnus X-1 duology is my favourite musical epic of all time. Hell, I'll just get this out of the way and recommend the entirety of A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres to anyone who's interested in what made Rush so deviously admirable in the '70s.

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - BullockDS - 07-16-2014

(07-16-2014, 04:23 PM)Rystar Wrote: The Cygnus X-1 duology is my favourite musical epic of all time. Hell, I'll just get this out of the way and recommend the entirety of A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres to anyone who's interested in what made Rush so deviously admirable in the '70s.
Thank'd for great taste and hilariously relevant signature.

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Rystar - 07-16-2014

(07-16-2014, 09:09 PM)BullockDS Wrote: Thank'd for great taste and hilariously relevant signature.

Hah, would you believe I made that myself? I was thinking of stupid band name puns and that was just one I had to make something out of, probably because I'm a massive Rush fan Tongue

On the topic of Rush recommendations for other folks, I wouldn't be averse to just outright saying "anything between Caress of Steel and Power Windows" and nothing else, but since I realize that probably wouldn't do much in convincing most people (unless they took my word as the gospel or something XD), here's a quick rundown of what each album is and why it's good and all that (warning, giant post underway!):
  • Caress Of Steel - Alright, this one isn't really everyone's cup of tea because some people think the band dropped the ball with the whole "ridiculously long songs and otherwise strange but not incredibly long songs", and that's perfectly understandable. However, if you can dig it, you'll find a hugely underrated gem of an album that deserves the same recognition Rush's more intricate work has.
  • 2112 - WEEE ARE THE PRIESTS! OF THE TEMPLES! OOOFFFF SYRINX! I'd say if you know anything about classic rock, you've probably heard the title rock opera (and no, the entire album isn't the rock opera; yes, it's very unusual, but that's just how Rush roooolled). It's a solid album, even if you don't count the titular track. Some highlights included "A Passage to Bangkok" (a lighthearted song about drug use in the '70s), "The Twilight Zone", and "Tears"
  • A Farewell to Kings - Probably the first album where every song was a winner imo. The title track, the concert favourite "Xanadu", the hit ballad "Closer To The Heart", the first part of the Cygnus X-1 duology, etc. etc. It's all just splendid. This also happens to be the first Rush album I ever bought on vinyl! Yay? Yay.
  • Hemispheres - Considered by many to be their hidden magnum opus (behind the likes of 2112 and Moving Pictures, that is), this noticeably short album has two incredible epics sandwiching two fairly regular songs (one of which is a hard hitting prog rock song about... trees. Literally trees); the first epic is the second part of the Cygnus X-1 duology, while the second epic is the amazingly amazing instrumental "La Villa Strangiato". God, I love that song.
  • Permanent Waves - Although many consider this Rush's first "mainstream album", I beg to differ. C'mon guys, how can an album that has "Natural Science" on it be considered mainstream? Besides, that's hardly a bad thing. Even when Rush started appealing to the bigger crowds, their music remained kickass. I'd like to see any other band accomplish that feat. Anywho, what else is of note for this one? "Spirit of Radio", of course. We also have "Freewill" and "Entre Nous". Want to get into Rush but don't want to jump into their proggy stuff? Start with those three songs. They were released as singles for a reason! Wink
  • Moving Pictures - Okay, I shouldn't really have to talk about this one. This album is fantastic, through and through. Here, just listen to the entire album. All of it. I find that it starts out insanely familiar and then slowly glides into weird and strange territory... all while never alienating the listener. That's just genius.
  • Signals - Here's where everyone thinks the band delved into "synthensizeritis", which is a made-up term poofed up by some butthurt elitist who was upset his complex band started hitting the mainstream. I was hoping all the whining had stopped when Moving Pictures came by and proved Rush could appeal to both the old fans and the new ones, but I guess you can never truly please annoying, snobby nerds. Go figure. The album itself? Splendid. A diamond in the rough in a way, since the more hardcore fans tend to ignore this album, but a lot of them don't and see it for the beauty it truly is. Here's "Subdivisions", the song everyone probably knows from the album. Other great tracks include "Digital Man", "The Weapon", and "New World Man". This isn't the only stuff that's fantastic of course, but it's the easiest stuff to get into Smile
  • Grace Under Pressure - Despite being really heavy on the keyboard work at this point, even the whiniest of the hardcore fanbase will tell you this is a fantastic album. No individual tracks to list here, but I would recommend you have already delved into the earlier stuff before you jump into this one. Here's the entire album if you're at that point!
  • Power Windows - Bookends for the recommendations, eh? Yep - this is definitely not an album that everyone can dig, simply because it really started to take Rush into the '80s more so than their last efforts ever did. Despite this, it's a great album if you can get past all of that, and I'd like to shut up anyone who's ever said this album was the beginning of Alex's guitar-work being pushed to the back; just listen to "The Big Money" or "Marathon". C'mon now, those are some heavy songs. Tons of guitar, guys! Oh well, what can you do?

Hope I make some new fans out of this! Probably not, since most people on this forum might not care too much about progressive rock, but I'll try anyways! Genki ^_^

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Helmo - 07-19-2014

RE: ♪ ♫ Music Thread ♫ ♪ - Darky's Reincarnation - 07-20-2014

the new rx bandits album is a total beast, so glad they're back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPRuzMMB1Rw
songs like wide open, g2g and pinguin marlin brando are gems

also the most recent live act i've seen is sleigh bells, which was the second time i've seen them. besides the fact i've got a huge crush on alexis krauss, i was also totally blown away by their performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDM7IwmtHho