The VG Resource
[DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Creativity (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-126.html)
+--- Forum: Other Creativity (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-130.html)
+--- Thread: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 (/thread-25299.html)

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - The KKM - 09-10-2015

Again, general to detail. You're doing finished drawings before even starting the next frame. Sketch the entire thing first.

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - StevenB - 09-11-2015

I agree with KKM if I can share my two cents for a bit. Sometimes it might even help to animate with only the most basic of shapes to get the momentum right, which seems especially important for cartoon walks.

I drew a croquet player:
[Image: yv7ergt.png]

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Filler - 09-11-2015

So, I should draw out each frame and do each step of them in a sequence of events, rather than one drawing at a time? Makes sense to me.

Here's the last time I may work on the this walk animation before I do what has been suggested above.

[Image: test_whatevers_by_fillerartist-d997jw0.gif]

All I did was fix up the legs and the right arm.

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Sketchasaurus - 09-11-2015

In a walk cycle, you want to make sure you have your contact poses and passing poses setup before in-betweening.

The Contact pose being the first moment where each foot hits the ground, and the passing pose being the high point where the lifted leg and ground-bound leg are adjacent to one another in the animation.

In this way, you have your key poses already set up instead of animating things straight-ahead.

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - SmithyGCN - 09-11-2015

It's good that you're applying overlapping action (the wobbling of the ears, the tail, and the scarf tie), but those are usually added last after the main animation is finished. You should focus more on the main action first and then add overlapping afterward.

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Filler - 09-12-2015

I did some suggestions, and I re-did the walk cycle, this time, working on a basic skeleton and shapes, 1st. The cycle is half way done (5 frames, in a ten frame beat), so the arms animate in a odd fashion.

[Image: walk_half_done_by_fillerartist-d99cpvo.gif]

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - StevenB - 09-12-2015

That looks pretty good Filler. My only suggestion is that you could empathise the difference between the highest and lowest points in the walk a bit more (i.e. making the contact frames a bit lower) to create more of a 'rubbery' look in the walk, similair to those of older cartoons (you were going for the style of old cartoon right?)

Looking forward to see more!

[Image: IEJw9NL.png]

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Filler - 09-13-2015

Done the skeleton after some delays and issues. I even numbered the frames to show the ten frame beat.

[Image: main_by_fillerartist-d99j06o.gif]

Next is to add the next layer of shapes, and keep doing that, along with planning out the extra actions.

EDIT: May fix up the choppy transition from the right leg for frame 9 to 10.

EDIT 2: Redid frames 8, 9 too look less choppy.

[Image: main_by_fillerartist-d99l2qz.gif]

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - StevenB - 09-16-2015

[Image: erzXqdS.png]

[Image: zRwOCcy.png]

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - The KKM - 09-16-2015

[Image: 12038964_1072449482767555_8943884009151971160_o.jpg]

"Oh no, not me,
I've never lost control.
You're face, to face
With the man who sold the world."

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - StevenB - 09-17-2015

Hella rad. I love Metal Gear!

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Filler - 09-18-2015

Nothing related to animation tests this time. I got bored and tested out symmetry today, and why to avoid it.

[Image: asymmetry_makes_a_difference_by_fillerar...9a1a2q.jpg]

I think drawings without symmetry look better.

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Filler - 09-19-2015

Phase 2 of the walking animation. This shows how many changes I need to make, since I made quite a few fatal errors. Not to mention it was on-hold since frame 8 went missing after a draft of wind from my window spewed the papers into limbo.

I'm also learning how to list mistakes so I don't redo them again.

[Image: walk_phase_2_animated_by_fillerartist-d9a2fj9.gif]

Frame 9 has 2 major errors:

-Not enough feet contrast, it looks like the foot pauses for a second.

-The left arm becomes a bit short when swaying back to the right whilst returning to frame 1, which looks off.

Frame 5:

-The left arm needs to be a bit lower as it looks sloppy when looping.

Frame 6:

-The right arm needs to poke out less at it looks like it flickers for one frame.

Frame 3:

-Right arm should begin lowering here, as it looks choppy when it moves to frame 4.

Frame 1:

-Right leg is unbent, looks awkward when popping from unbent to bent for a frame.

All frames:

-Head bobbing needs to be toned down.

If anybody else has anything else to criticize upon, please tell me. As I'm enjoying this learning process.

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Dolphman - 09-20-2015

It's turning out alright, I gotta say.

[Image: _oldie__knuckles_vs_beholder_by_retrobunyip-d9a8e08.jpg]
Felt like digging up some of my old sketches. This one done way back in 2008 using Archie Sonic scans as a reference for Knuckles.
Yeah, I'm a sucker for Dungeons and Dragons monsters.

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Virt - 09-20-2015

[Image: tumblr_nv08vcLp1Q1tiubxio1_1280.png]