The VG Resource
[DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Creativity (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-126.html)
+--- Forum: Other Creativity (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-130.html)
+--- Thread: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 (/thread-25299.html)

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Virt - 02-03-2015

To answer your revised question, BlueBlur, I use a Monoprice tablet. The stuff from the large post with all the quotes were all done with a standard mechanical pencil in my sketchbook.

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Keychain - 02-03-2015

Virt are you a god

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - puggsoy - 02-04-2015

Hey guys-
Everyone Wrote:omg puggsoy is posting in the doodles thread the world is ending

OK but actually, I've decided to start drawing again after not doing it for so long, and now I want to actually improve. After talking about it with some people apparently it's good to start practising by drawing real people and getting the hang of stuff like anatomy and real stuff, even if my main goal is to eventually be drawing more cartoony things.

So yeah. I decided to take a shot at drawing a random person, Tom Hanks. I don't do computer drawing so this is a scan, tell me if it's too hard to see:

[Image: R15xieI.png]

Reference.

They're ordered as 1st, 3rd and 2nd attempt, from left to right, so the middle one is my final attempt. I think it turned out moderately OK. I noticed a bit too late that I don't really want to focus on faces as much as I do with body proportions and perspective, but oh well.

So yes, please give crit and any more suggestions for long-term improvement. Any good starting points or references you think might be beneficial would be appreciated!

T.hanks Smile

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - The KKM - 02-04-2015

while learning with real world is good, you'll want to even before that get the hand of just basic construction and perspective

I'd start by trying first to learn something simple like how to draw like 1920's cartoons, then once that's helped you get a grasp on linework and keeping shapes the same, advance to more complex things like human features

they're quite dry but if you find them online, the Loomis books are a classic tool for helping to draw

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Keychain - 02-05-2015

[Image: tumblr_njbw96efs21qjbn5vo1_1280.png]

I'm actually really proud of this. This is meant to be me, not my oc. I just drew myself making the various emoticon faces that I use.

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Virt - 02-06-2015

[Image: ooIS5RL.png]

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - ~Axis~ - 02-07-2015

At first sight I thought it said "SILENCE".

Your drawings are so cool they suck. Cute

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - psychospacecow - 02-07-2015

Just a warning, this is a bit of an art dump, so the things hidden in this spoiler are gonna be huge.

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Garamonde - 02-07-2015

(02-07-2015, 06:58 PM)psychospacecow Wrote:

Love goes in the Love Thread bro

:p

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - psychospacecow - 02-07-2015

I didn't really intend for any of them to look like anyone. They're all characters for a fighting game that will never happen. I like to design stuff like that because fighting characters are really expressive.

I'm currently calling that one "Onideari". The idea is that it was a robot designed for promotional and retail purposes as a easily customizable anime character, with a few different generic personalities, but it didn't do too well so the designer re-purposed them in a bid to sell the remaining stock to some military as utility bots.

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Keychain - 02-08-2015

[Image: B9Tu1CUCUAAtmzX.png]

it's a dumb ol me (i want to be a bartender don't judge)

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Sketchasaurus - 02-08-2015

I'm glad you're still working at drawing, key! If you don't mind, I've got a couple pointers that you might find helpful, a lot of them ended up being more general things. I wouldn't try to redo this same exact drawing right now because it's still a fresh drawing. I'd recommend doing some more exploratory sketching to gain a bit more confidence in that area.
[Image: 80b09315fa.jpg]
We often get caught up in seeing people's end product and never see their practice work. The way I approach sketching might not work for you, and that's totally fine! so long as you're comfortable while drawing lines, it doesn't matter how you approach sketching. I recommend a more loose approach because it allows you to feel less super-committed to a line. And using broad strokes is like running your hand across a large surface, like if you want to get a feel for the curvature of a car hood, or if you're petting a dog: you get a bigger picture when you run your hand along the forms than if you were to repeatedly make shallow strokes along the edge.

Confidence while drawing is an important thing to think about, and I see some parts where some of that confidence in your linework shows: The skirt in particular is a region where the lines are each a single, confident stroke (this is an important practice in inking in particular)
But one last thing that I've noticed in this drawing is the feeling that while sketching, you approached the figure fully clothed straight ahead. while we all have a tendency to go about it this way, I think you'd benefit greatly from drawing the basic forms of the body (nude but not-nude if that makes sense) before applying the clothing shapes.

Sorry for the long post! Keep it up Key! If you need any extra clarification or have any specific questions, you know how to reach me.

I also did a thing:
[Image: 91f64b5eeb.jpg]
I should've kept track of how long this guy took me to scratch together. definitely not as long as a similar one I've been meaning to get back to.
But this was essentially a test of what kind of painting I can do with sai, which I quite enjoy. I'm considering doing commissions like this, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

Wtf thank you Ben!! That's super helpful ;_;

[Image: BY68keB.png]

My friend Aki and I did an art trade. She wanted me to draw Cooking Mama so I did and it is undeniable proof that I smell

RE: [DRAWINGS] Doodles and Finished Pieces 2.0 - Shade - 02-08-2015

(02-08-2015, 09:33 PM)Keychain Wrote: it is undeniable proof that I smell
You need to stop beating up yourself so much, Keychain. It's not a bad thing to be humble, but you seem to insult your artistic abilities quite often, and that's disappointing to read when you appear to not appreciate the present skill you have. You haven't posted a single thing that I would consider bad, and you can only improve from where you are now.

Have confidence in yourself and your talents, and it will show, trust me. You don't deserve to give yourself the negative feelings toward your work. You should be your biggest fan, not your harshest critic (Actually, strive to be the perfect balance of the two).

I'm hoping to not come off as an overly harsh asshole or something, but I really dislike when I see people tearing themselves down where it's not necessary.