The VG Resource
The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Main Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-1.html)
+----- Forum: News (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-2.html)
+----- Thread: The VG Resource Icon Renovation (/thread-25113.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Mystie - 06-09-2014

How are these?

Klonoa
Klonoa
Snowboarding Klonoa
Snowboarding Klonoa
Enemies
Enemies

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Superjustinbros - 06-09-2014

Not bad, Mystie!

I spotted an error with one of the sheet icons from Mushroom kingdom Fusion (PC).
The icon for the "Vile" sheet from the game "Mushroom Kingdom Fusion"...
(RTB's edit: Shhhh!)
...is of the Vile from Street Fighter, not the Vile from MKF, which is the same one from MMX.
(RTB's edit: We're not supposed to reveal the new site design before it's ready!)

Here's a good replacement for it, seeing as I can't fix it on the site itself.
[Image: 29372-2copy_zps16ee04f1.png]

(SJB's Response: I knew someday I'd accidentally slip that up. Gonna Puke My bad)

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Random Talking Bush - 06-09-2014

Icon's been fixed. Only admins can do that to prevent exploiting our trust by swapping the icons on us after verification. Know what I'm saying?

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Superjustinbros - 06-09-2014

Yeah, I can see everyone being able to swap icon after icon becoming abusable.

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Dazz - 06-13-2014

We've officially reached 50% of all Spriters Resource icons completed! Huzzah!

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Superjustinbros - 06-14-2014

Excellent. C:

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - puggsoy - 06-14-2014

For anyone using GIMP, I spent a couple of days learning script-fu, then Python, then making a plugin in Python to simplify the icon-making process a little. It's not a complete icon maker, due to the nature of icons sometimes having more than one sprite I couldn't really do that, but it does take a number of steps out of the process.

What it does is crops sprites. What you do is first make your foreground colour (in the tool dock) the same as the background colour of your sheet. Then, make a rectangular selection, and make sure the top-left corner is somewhere within the sprite you want to crop. The size of the selection doesn't matter. Then just run the plugin and it'll crop the image to the size of the sprite, with the background colour replaced with transparency.

Here's the script (I'd add it as an attachment but those still aren't working here). To install it simply place that file into C:\Users\sami\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins (that's for Windows 8, it might differ a bit depending on your OS). This is cross-platform by the way, so it should work for GIMP on Mac and Linux machines as well.

Here's a couple of important things you should note:
  • This won't work with sheets with transparent backgrounds, unfortunately. However those should be pretty easy anyway, just crop around the sprite, then autocrop the image and you'll have the same result.
  • The process will be a bit different for sheets with bounding boxes, although only if the sprite touches the edges of them. For example Slugnoid, you'll have to do it once for the white background, then again for the pink background (this works in the reverse order too, I think).
So yeah, hope that's helpful for some people! It certainly speeds up and simplifies the process for me, and the quicker we get these done the better!

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Petie - 06-14-2014

(06-14-2014, 10:02 PM)puggsoy Wrote: (I'd add it as an attachment but those still aren't working here).

I just re-checked everything. Unfortunately, it seems attachment posting permissions, on a per forum basis, are controlled by the "can post threads" permission and since only staff can post threads in the news forum, only staff can use attachments here. It seems dumb to have it set up that way but there's no way for me to fix it short of allowing everyone to create threads here.

As for your script, I don't use GIMP so I can't test it but I'm impressed you took the time to teach yourself how to do it and thank you for sharing it all the same! Smile

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - White-Jet - 06-17-2014

I accidentally uploaded Omega Zero's icon instead of Orehawk's in Mega Man ZX.

Here's the icon I was trying to upload: [Image: 2wlssq9.png]

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Random Talking Bush - 06-17-2014

(06-17-2014, 07:54 PM)White-Jet Wrote: I accidentally uploaded Omega Zero's icon instead of Orehawk's in Mega Man ZX.

Here's the icon I was trying to upload: [Image: 2wlssq9.png]
Fixed that.

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Mystie - 06-18-2014

Whenever I submit all of the icons to a game, the game's title will still be highlighted in red. Why does this happen?

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Random Talking Bush - 06-18-2014

(06-18-2014, 05:38 PM)Mystie Wrote: Whenever I submit all of the icons to a game, the game's title will still be highlighted in red. Why does this happen?

(06-08-2014, 11:07 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: It's because an admin has to look through and see if the icons are set up properly. Don't worry if it's not marked as "completed" right away, as there's literally 2,546 games that aren't finished up yet. If Dazz or I come across one that's all done, we'll review the icons and mark it off.

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Jermungandr - 06-18-2014

Is the red highlighting supposed to be automatic? Because I've come across a few games which do not have all their icons updated but the game was not highlighted. I'd show you an example but ... I updated all the icons in every instance I've come across. Probably shouldn't have done that.

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Dazz - 06-19-2014

This normally happens when a new sheet is uploaded after being marked.

We figure we can see in new updates, all the new sheets that need new icons.

We'll go through at the end and check everything kber regardless though. Smile

RE: The VG Resource Icon Renovation - Mystie - 06-19-2014

(06-18-2014, 05:50 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: It's because an admin has to look through and see if the icons are set up properly. Don't worry if it's not marked as "completed" right away, as there's literally 2,546 games that aren't finished up yet. If Dazz or I come across one that's all done, we'll review the icons and mark it off.

Thanks for clearing that up!