The VG Resource
TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: The Archives (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-66.html)
+----- Forum: tSR Competitions (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-68.html)
+----- Thread: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" (/thread-21263.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Sketchasaurus - 08-22-2012

Every spriter has attempted an NES styled sprite at least once in their spriting history, but very few have succeeded to do so the right way.
among the sea of crappy megaman edits, there are a few gems of custom goodNES (pun intended)

The aim of this challenge is to create a custom sprite (or sprites) that fit within the graphical limitations of the NES.
The color restrictions are both the NES palette and the colors-per-screen limitations.
[Image: NES_palette.png]
The maximum size will be the dimensions of the NES screen resolution: 256x240

Ends Wednesday, Aug. 29th

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Tellis - 08-22-2012

So I'm assuming we aren't allowed to do "fancy programming tricks" like Megaman's face? Or, so long as we explain it (or show how the separate tiles work out) we can?

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Gaia - 08-22-2012

Yeah, some of us would like to know. Although, I wanna attempt at this.

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Keiang - 08-22-2012

Also, would you mind defining the exact graphical limitations you want us to work in? I know the general "4 colors including background" stuff and the palette, but are we working with stuff like this?
Quote:Sprites are 8 pixels wide and may be 8 or 16 pixels tall, although the choice must be made globally, as it affects all sprites (Contra and Super Mario Bros. 3 for example use 8x16 mode).
and this?
Quote:Up to 25 simultaneous colors may be used without writing new values mid-frame: a background color, four sets of three tile colors and four sets of three sprite colors. This total does not include color de-emphasis.[61] The NES palette is based on NTSC rather than RGB values. Normally, every group of four tiles (in a 2x2 square) must share the same colors, but one mode of the MMC5 relaxed this to one palette per tile.

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Cobalt Blue - 08-23-2012

sprites per se are made out of eitehr 8x16 or 8x8 tiles of 4 colors each (each tile can use its own palette, from a set of 4 specific palettes)
[Image: nes_spec.gif]
a common thing was to set the background color to black, in order to use the mandatory alpha in the sprites with it and save an extra color.

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Sketchasaurus - 08-23-2012

Quote:So I'm assuming we aren't allowed to do "fancy programming tricks" like Megaman's face? Or, so long as we explain it (or show how the separate tiles work out) we can?
Yeah, I think that'd be acceptable. The aim is to create something that would be able to run on the NES, so these fancy tricks are acceptable if you want to squeeze in an extra color.

In regards to sprite dimensions, 8x16 is good. The reason for the 256x240 maximum is for those who'd like to make large boss sprites or even a mock up; this isn't required, but it's an option for those who want to do so.

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Zac - 08-23-2012

(08-23-2012, 12:04 AM)Meta Wrote: sprites per se are made out of eitehr 8x16 or 8x8 tiles
by this do you mean that the sprites could be 8x16 and 8x8 in the same theoretical game, or are we limited to choosing one or the other?

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Keiang - 08-23-2012

(08-23-2012, 01:27 AM)Zac Wrote: by this do you mean that the sprites could be 8x16 and 8x8 in the same theoretical game, or are we limited to choosing one or the other?
Based on what wikipedia said, one or the other.
Quote:Sprites are 8 pixels wide and may be 8 or 16 pixels tall, although the choice must be made globally, as it affects all sprites (Contra and Super Mario Bros. 3 for example use 8x16 mode).

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Previous - 08-23-2012

Stickylicky~

All these fabulous colours!

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - SKELTON S. SKELETON - 08-23-2012

wow! i don't even know what i should make.

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Gaia - 08-23-2012

EDIT:

Here is the entry

[Image: 2iw2jgl.png]

..and the stuff to make it. Not final because the HUD is nonexistant and the cavern base is pretty much WIP.

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - megamario1234 - 08-24-2012

Here is Matt Rex from Megaman X5 going against X. I might gonna add a background.
Before:
[Image: mattrexscale.png]
After:
[Image: mattrexscale2.png]

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Gors - 08-24-2012

except this is not the compo's objective, at all.

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Hiynastrike - 08-24-2012

Am I do it right?
[Image: jWCWOcKulWzw2.png]

RE: TSR COMPO Vol.3: "In the name of goodNES" - Garamonde - 08-24-2012

(08-24-2012, 05:24 AM)Gors Wrote: except this is not the compo's objective, at all.

Still, I love the idea. Maybe make Mattrex smaller because in actuality he is nowhere near that large compared to X:

[Image: pGRjg.png]

Plus it looks like you used too many colors on him. But also it looks like you just traced the original sprite so I'd try to make his pose a little different too.