The VG Resource
"New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Games Development (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-22.html)
+----- Thread: "New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] (/thread-20760.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Iceman404 - 07-12-2012

Stop it or you'll unknowingly drum up some shitty DA quality fan fiction about retired koopas.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Sevenstitch - 07-12-2012

[Image: gok.png]

I'm sorry Star, I couldn't help myself

I'll stop spamming now

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Star - 07-12-2012

Oh gosh..why does that exist

WHY

Speaking of koopas, the koopa shells are done~

EDIT: Banana and Item Box is done.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Iceman404 - 07-12-2012

When I said a Koopa shell frame was missing from the original sheet I meant literally. It has a 2nd frame where the hole faces the camera, with it's own separate distance sprites and everything!

I'd rip it for you by driving by a slow one in battle mode, but I can't at the moment. I think my explanation is self explanatory on what the missing frame looks like.

That aside, everything is great! I just THINK (fuck you HTC spell-check I'm not hungry enough to eat item boxes) the bottom of the item box is a little too dark in meshes with the black inside. I don't know about using the slim modern banana. I never really favored it, but that's just personal bias I guess.

Edit: have you also considered adding a highlight to the shells?

Edit 2: Oh and the right tail on the banana is a bit wonky.

Edit 3: I messed around with the items and whatnot, and noticed the item box's top and bottom rim are 2 pixels tall. Are you sure this won't be pain to sprite in? You'll have to make the items in it 2 pixels smaller, yet fit the detail and readability in it. I'd ask your friend if you could up the HUD size (and numbers) by 2 pixels just to save yourself from this.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Star - 07-12-2012

Thank you for the info on the koopa shell. It looks like I may need to do some emulating lol

Also thank you for your critique. I am honestly thinking about changing the banana to be more like Mario Kart 64. I think it'll look so much better that way. I'm not too proud of the banana.

I have considered the highlights on the turtle shell but never actually done it. I think that would add too much detail.

As for the HUD size..I haven't asked them if it were possible to make it bigger. I did make adjustments to it though(made less shadow so it's more readable and made it more like other Mario Kart games).
I don't think I'll have a problem with readability issues for the HUD. I made the Thunder Item Hud(which took forever, I always did have trouble with lighting bolts lol)and..I don't think readability will be a problem.

I edited the box to show what it'd be like if you did shrink the rims, not implying you should go back (I do prefer the thicker sides of the previous version though). This new one has more readability.
[Image: BananaBolt.png]
Also wanted to show what the banana would look like with a Super Circuit approach? I always liked how it was symmetrical in that game Tongue

Edit: my lord that star is beautiful... No not you like that AAAAAA
The mushroom needs to be bigger/fatter though.

I know I'm beautiful-

I mean wait
wut

I was wondering why the mushroom was off to me. I'll make it bigger.

Would ja look at that?

Items are done~
Coins are currently WIP..because I have no idea if they share colors with someone or not.

Some of the stuff in this game is like that..it's weird.

[Image: nd1iB.png]

Also, I need those Koopa shell frames that Iceman was talking about that were missing.

The feather is totally a recolor lololol I regret nothing

Also, Iceman..I hope you didn't mind me using your banana and editing it. : x Once again, I appreciate your help.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - A.J. Nitro - 07-12-2012

So what if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart? He makes it better, that's what.

Pfft, my banana edit was literally an a copypasted edited half of your banana. Anyways, everything's looking great.
Try smoothing out the white rim on the shell HUD and extend everything's eyes to 3 pixels tall, not 2. I'd also make the main white spot on the mushroom one pixel larger in term of height.

EDIT: You should also clean up the "farther away sprites", and make sure all of it has outline so it doesn't look so scratchy (this may be hard on the banana).

EDIT2: I did a small edit to the Item box and made the sides thicker like the original, I've always liked the look and you didn't use any of the extra space anyways :V
[Image: Side.png]

EDIT3: I guess I have some free time to rip that missing shell frame for you. Give me a while.

EDIT4: Here's what I've gotten so far before getting smacked in the face by my own test subject:
[Image: Shellspin.png]
I see some of the facing camera frames are smaller than the regular ones, that doesn't mean yours have to be that size as well. Likely a spriting mistake by the original creators.

Whoa, I love how the HUD looks now. The items don't look so "empty" whenever their on there. It's all compacted together nicely.

DGIidghggodn THANK YOU for ripping those missing frames for me. Its weird how..different they are from the other frames.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Ton - 07-12-2012

Awesome!
Are you going to be hacking the Blue.. er... Spiny Shell in too?

The spiny shell should only be hacked in if the game reads the distance from first and second place racers. When first gets too far from everyone else (second place), a spiny shell is handed to the people behind/far back that follows the computer controlled waypoints. It doesn't appear on the final lap.

THAT'S how you make a good spiny shell that actually balances the race AND helps last. Assuming it's a MK64 styled one.

EDIT: Anyways, attempting to get the last frame. I don't think it's possible considering when it finally appears it's always out of the camera half way and whatnot.

EDIT2: [Image: Shellspin.png]
I am one clever bastard Smug

I'm actually not sure if there will be a blue shell or not. They haven't asked me to sprite it yet so..we'll see.
Though they have been talking about item replacements..which I'm not fond of.

Basically when someone gets the koopa shell item, it won't be a koopa shell..it'll be a different item but still acts the same. Like for Wario, apparantly they're discussing a chain chomp.

Also, Iceman, thank you once again for taking your time to rip this stuff for me. It helps me out ALOT..you clever bastard you.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Kriven - 07-12-2012

Whencaniplaythisohmygodgasm