The VG Resource
"New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Games Development (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-22.html)
+----- Thread: "New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] (/thread-20760.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Iceman404 - 07-10-2012

Oh my god, these are the most interesting sprites I've seen in such a while, they're perfect.
My only complaints are small ones. Bowser's arms are a bit small from behind (his seat is also sliiiiiiggggghttttllly different from the others, most likely a mistake), and the back of Koopa Troopa's eyes could use a bit less AA. Personal opinions but, I dunno how looking at Peach's long hair covering her whole body'll feel after a while, and I think the karts could be shinier.

I spoiled my self earlier today and already saw the video and the forum, I personally don't think your friend is giving you enough credit but oh well I guess.
(07-01-2012, 08:43 PM)Star Wrote: NEXT SPRITE UPDATE OF RACERS IN HACK: JULY 21, 2012
ffffffffff

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - mutantyoshi - 07-10-2012

Really amazing Star. Although the only thing that rubs me the wrong way would be Bowser's always open mouth (that wide i should say). Think that maybe you could sprite his mouth a little different, like either make it closed, or less of a gap in his mouth, this could even bring the head down more and make more of a full face too IMO. Other thab that, i feel that there is nothing else. Maybe change cyan yoshi's shoe pallet to purple, if you can.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Iceman404 - 07-10-2012

A shoe pallet change to purple could potentially mess up the shading on the wheels.
Bowser's head is animated in SMK (Most of the cast is) so he'll have a full head in other angles since he closes his mouth and it's only open when he's facing the camera, I appreciate that he's paying homage to the original frames whilst keeping the new style.
EDIT: Also, Bowser's horns should be the same color as the spikes on his back.
EDIT2: I have a quick question, Star, how will the star palette work? Will it grayscale the sprites and make them different colors the way Super Circuit did (which looked really cool)? Or will it remain the same.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Stef17 - 07-10-2012

great job! Exactly how are you improving these sprites though? as in what program are you using?

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Star - 07-10-2012

(07-10-2012, 06:00 PM)Iceman404 Wrote: Oh my god, these are the most interesting sprites I've seen in such a while, they're perfect.
My only complaints are small ones. Bowser's arms are a bit small from behind (his seat is also sliiiiiiggggghttttllly different from the others, most likely a mistake), and the back of Koopa Troopa's eyes could use a bit less AA. Personal opinions but, I dunno how looking at Peach's long hair covering her whole body'll feel after a while, and I think the karts could be shinier.

I spoiled my self earlier today and already saw the video and the forum, I personally don't think your friend is giving you enough credit but oh well I guess.
(07-01-2012, 08:43 PM)Star Wrote: NEXT SPRITE UPDATE OF RACERS IN HACK: JULY 21, 2012
ffffffffff
I'll be working on the kart shine whenever the 360 kart rotation is finished because I was thinking the same thing as well. I don't know if it'll be too much detail or not though.

As for those other details, I'll be sure to work on them! Peach's hair actually covers her whole body from the back so..I may leave it like that or just change it later; going back to finishing the 360 kart rotation.

Also, could you like me to the topic that my friend made? I appreciate it.
As for those who go to the forum, don't link this topic to his. Ninja
Also sorry about the huge time frame for next update lol

(07-10-2012, 06:30 PM)Iceman404 Wrote: A shoe pallet change to purple could potentially mess up the shading on the wheels.
Bowser's head is animated in SMK (Most of the cast is) so he'll have a full head in other angles since he closes his mouth and it's only open when he's facing the camera, I appreciate that he's paying homage to the original frames whilst keeping the new style.
EDIT: Also, Bowser's horns should be the same color as the spikes on his back.
EDIT2: I have a quick question, Star, how will the star palette work? Will it grayscale the sprites and make them different colors the way Super Circuit did (which looked really cool)? Or will it remain the same.
Yeah, I'm still working on the colors for the Yoshis. I have to leave that one brown and greys by default so it won't mess up the kart. I'm trying to keep the karts consistent(besides the colors of the seat)so Iceman is right. Although I think I could switch colors around to make the shoes purple..I'll try anyways.

I am glad you appreciate the homage! I personally think it's fun making them like that and is nostalgic.

As for your question, I honestly don't know how the stars will work. I still don't know how some sprites work(like how big Chain Chomp can actually big, how big item palettes can go, etc). But I'll slowly get to that!

(07-10-2012, 08:33 PM)Stef17 Wrote: great job! Exactly how are you improving these sprites though? as in what program are you using?
I use Pixel GrandMaster Studio G6 Edition.

lol I'm just shittin with ya.
I use good ol MSPaint. For animating, I just test them out in Beneton Movie Gif.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Stef17 - 07-10-2012

Ah ok, I was wondering....I've never heard of that program Tongue Best of luck to you! And keep up the awesome work!

We have hazards like Chain Chomp n' stuff right here:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/smariokart/sheet/6871

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Star - 07-11-2012

I buffed up chain chomp. I also gave him a lil animation sequence(which looks alot better in game than how I animated it myself; I can't capture that same effect as in game)with the available frames.

I hope to do the same with items like turtle shells. Make them spin.

[Image: 9CIcb.gif]
[Image: xcMD6.png]

I'll keep updating the first post with items and hazards as I continue on~

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Iceman404 - 07-11-2012

Clever how it's animated by distance Tongue
Edit: Oh by the way, the shells are supposed to have 2 frames but the second frame wasn't ripped.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Cobalt Blue - 07-11-2012

why wouldnt you people add miyamoto as a character?

heh

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Star - 07-11-2012

Because Miyamoto would have been riding in a Farreri that was fueled by golden mushrooms.

It would've been unfair to race against him. You can't race against a God.

But I appreciate your input, sir~

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Cobalt Blue - 07-11-2012

(07-11-2012, 11:13 PM)Star Wrote: Because Miyamoto would have been riding in a Farreri that was fueled by golden mushrooms.

thats why men created blue shells

to take down the gods that rule over us

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Sevenstitch - 07-12-2012

[Image: godsbigmistake.png]

God's biggest mistake

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Iceman404 - 07-12-2012

Fun fact, blue shells are what you use as a powerup in NSMB. Spiny shells are what you use as a weapon in Mario Kart; they also belong to spinies (what Lakitu throws at you in SMB games), not Koopas.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[First Post shows Updates] - Star - 07-12-2012

(07-11-2012, 11:44 PM)Meta Wrote:
(07-11-2012, 11:13 PM)Star Wrote: Because Miyamoto would have been riding in a Farreri that was fueled by golden mushrooms.

thats why men created blue shells

to take down the gods that rule over us
Super Mario Kart: Clash of the Titans

@Iceman. That's a pretty cool fact. I thought maybe it belonged to some badass Koopa.

Well, once a badass since his shell is being used for kart races.