The VG Resource
"New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Games Development (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-22.html)
+----- Thread: "New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] (/thread-20760.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [STAR Y U SO SLOW NOW] - Star - 07-23-2012

The apartment and stuff is more important. I can understand the hiatus and it's totally fine with me.
And don't worry, I'm making sure the heads correspond with the driving sprites, because I noticed that too.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [STAR Y U SO SLOW NOW] - Iceman404 - 07-23-2012

The Bowser victory pose has some problems with proportions, mostly because it's a WIP anyways I assume.
His arms are much larger than his legs unlike the original (I personally think they should be even instead, the original looked like a kangaroo, heh). I realize that his head casts a shadow on his belly, but I feel it should be bright anyways to show depth. With the sprite being much smaller because of his hair, it's important to make his limbs stand out and be large so he fills the most space he can. His toe nails are also dark and don't stand out/contrast well with his bright skin tone, and are a bit small.
[Image: BowserVictory.png]
You also forgot his shadow. Everything is looking good besides that. I'm loving the Mario Bros there, you nailed it.

EDIT: Also, your Toad's body is a bit 'tube-like'. Toad's body rounds in before it reaches his head, but yours goes straight up into his head without a curve.
[Image: 200px-SM3DL_Toad.jpg]

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [STAR Y U SO SLOW NOW] - Star - 07-23-2012

Oh I knew it had problems lol It was a huge WIP.
This is the direction the final version was starting to go into. I still claim it as a WIP because I'm being nitpicky and I realize there are some things wrong with it.

[Image: bjUJl.png](ignore the different head, I was just testing something out)
I am working on making the toes stick out more. That's one of the nitpicky things I'm working on. You know how I like to be a perfectionist~

I do like how you made the limbs though and the belly. The belly looks better using the highlights. I was just afraid it'd make the belly stick out too much but it gives it a nice look.

EDIT: I'm working on Toad now because geebus it is tube-like fff I really didn't realize that.
I worked on that one pretty late haha

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [DK. DONKEY KONG IS HERE~] - segwayspeedracer - 07-23-2012

Haha maybe you can work in the UK version of the victory sprite where Bowsers guzzling the boozahol. That would certainly suit Wario. Who... Is he MIA?

Great work man! And Iceman, you certainly know some stuff too. Big gamer?

Edit: I just stared at Luigi's moustache for 5 minutes... so beautiful

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [DK. DONKEY KONG IS HERE~] - Kriven - 07-24-2012

I just noticed that DK JR was replaced by adult Donkey Kong. Will JR be returning for the sprite-replacement version of the game, or will it be Adult DK all the way?

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [DK. DONKEY KONG IS HERE~] - Koopaul - 07-24-2012

Technically hey are the same character.

DK Jr. grew up to become the hero of Donkey Kong Country.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [DK. DONKEY KONG IS HERE~] - Kriven - 07-24-2012

Theory disproved and you read it :p

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [DK. DONKEY KONG IS HERE~] - gtkampos - 07-24-2012

I really prefer the actual donkey kong... the original appears any kong, not the star dk...
In my opinion, bowser is a little small... i think you should make him more tall. In the actual games
bowser is a "monstruous" big!

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [DK. DONKEY KONG IS HERE~] - Gors - 07-24-2012

but the original sprite is this size. You can't make him any bigger than that, he's replacing the original graphics for those custom ones.

Yeah, i agree. But if you see, the original sprite of bowser are more tall and more thick than its now (i am talking about the victory pose). And if you compare to mario, they are the same size. What i am suggesting is that he could be a "little more bigger", respecting the limits of the original of course.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [DK. DONKEY KONG IS HERE~] - [robo9] - 07-24-2012

Just to clarify, is Wario still replacing Koopa Troopa?

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [DK. DONKEY KONG IS HERE~] - Iceman404 - 07-24-2012

(07-24-2012, 10:44 AM)gtkampos Wrote: Yeah, i agree. But if you see, the original sprite of bowser are more tall and more thick than its now (i am talking about the victory pose). And if you compare to mario, they are the same size. What i am suggesting is that he could be a "little more bigger", respecting the limits of the original of course.

How can you literally not see that the Bowsers are the same size.

(07-24-2012, 10:54 AM)[robo9] Wrote: Just to clarify, is Wario still replacing Koopa Troopa?

Optional patch.

(07-24-2012, 11:02 AM)Iceman404 Wrote: How can you literally not see that the Bowsers are the same size.
Well, the game sprite, they are all the same, but in the victory pose, even if the image size of both are the same, the "sensation" i have is that the older bowser is a little bigger than the actual. Still, its a good job that star are doing... Cool

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [DK. DONKEY KONG IS HERE~] - Iceman404 - 07-24-2012

(07-24-2012, 11:16 AM)gtkampos Wrote:
(07-24-2012, 11:02 AM)Iceman404 Wrote: How can you literally not see that the Bowsers are the same size.
Well, the game sprite, they are all the same, but in the victory pose, even if the image size of both are the same, the "sensation" i have is that the older bowser is a little bigger than the actual. Still, its a good job that star are doing... Cool

I already pointed this out though, nothing you can do besides making his 'mane' shorter, and then he looks as awkward as the original sprite.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [DK. DONKEY KONG IS HERE~] - segwayspeedracer - 07-24-2012

(07-24-2012, 01:32 AM)Koopaul Wrote: Technically hey are the same character.

DK Jr. grew up to become the hero of Donkey Kong Country.

Actually I think the original Donkey Kong in the 1980s arcade is the grandfather of the current Rareware DK. That would make DK. Jr. the father of DK. I never much liked DK Jr, but I saw someone post a custom sprite of him that was gorgeous