The VG Resource
"New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Games Development (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-22.html)
+----- Thread: "New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] (/thread-20760.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Star - 07-14-2012

..I gave you a warning about jpeg.

I'm kicking your ass!

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Iceman404 - 07-14-2012

Want some bubble gum while you do that?

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Sevenstitch - 07-14-2012

[Image: bubblegum.png]

because who could resist

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Kami - 07-14-2012

(07-14-2012, 09:24 PM)Sevenstitch Wrote: [Image: bubblegum.png]

because who could resist
Silly you,
Star's not that skinny.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - segwayspeedracer - 07-14-2012

(07-14-2012, 09:46 PM)Iceman404 Wrote: incoming meme

LOL.

Also, no more jpegs! And I fixed that gimmick with the question block slides. Stupid me was using the transparent slot in the palette.

[Image: 34hyuk1.png]

Star is a damned wizard!!!

Also since this has become the official team channel for spriting:

Heads up, those extra 4 bytes we discovered for Bowser's width: It may not be advantageous to use them since it'll make the rotations pretty damned difficult, since his rotations use much more of the width. But you know, you da man!

The light grey tire color: (72r, 104g, 104b) is preprogrammed to flicker to another color of your choice. If I substitute another color for it the flickering will not work. Text me for further details. I won't update the palettes until you find a way to work with or without that extra color. (note that if you chose to use that grey for the tires, you can't use it for anything else.. like shading toad's head, because it will also flicker).

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Dooku - 07-15-2012

Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself as the other hacker on this project. I probably won't be on here much, as I'm not a big artist and segwayspeedracer is handling the importing of graphics, but I figure it'll be nice to stop by every now and then when I find out something useful for you guys.

Thanks to Raccoon Sam for pointing out that the item tiles are probably 2bpp. I think he's right, and if so, that means only 4 colors for each of those tiles (2^2 = 4). I'm pretty sure all of the sprites in this game are either 2bpp or 4bpp (16 colors). One of those colors is transparency, so keep that in mind if you aren't aware already.

I'm glad to see that you figured out the "?" tiles. After we realized there's a transparency color slot it makes sense.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - segwayspeedracer - 07-15-2012

(07-15-2012, 01:25 PM)Dooku Wrote: Thanks to Raccoon Sam for pointing out that the item tiles are probably 2bpp. I think he's right, and if so, that means only 4 colors for each of those tiles (2^2 = 4).

I thought we struck jackpot with 4 blacks and 4 whites on one palette. Thanks for pointing that out!

It is my joy to announce that Rainbow Road had SO much untapped potential.

The Rainbow Road background can immediately access 16 different palettes AT THE SAME TIME (coming from the other course backgrounds).
Just on the Rainbow Road palette, It seems that 4 sets of purple and 4 sets of black were used in the Rainbow Road background palette (but, I'm assuming that these are in 2bpp (4 colors per palette) because there's way more 'transparent' colors showing up). But I got an obnoxious amount of color onto the background when I experimented with this.
There are a total of 48 background sprites available (ONLY 9 sprites were used in the original).
There are 181 UNUSED rainbow road ground tiles, ready for editing.
For every color of the rainbow road ground tiles, there is an extra, unused color. So, this means, three colors per red tile instead of two.

So my good people. Imagine the possibilities.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Star - 07-15-2012

^
In short, Star is gonna go batshit crazy with Rainbow Road.

Also, Cheep Cheep is almost done. I'll post it and the Giga Cheep Cheep later on. I'll need to edit the palletes around a bit. Quite a few items revolve around Lakitu's pallete apparantly.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - segwayspeedracer - 07-15-2012

(07-15-2012, 07:36 PM)Star Wrote: ^
In short, Star is gonna go batshit crazy with Rainbow Road.

Also, Cheep Cheep is almost done. I'll post it and the Giga Cheep Cheep later on. I'll need to edit the palletes around a bit. Quite a few items revolve around Lakitu's pallete apparantly.

It seems that the lakitu shares palettes with red shell, poison mushroom, yoshi egg, white, grey and dark grey tire smoke (from skidding), and the flags (checkered, lap number, and yellow 'wrong way' flag).

Lakitu + Item's palette is one of the eight palettes that obstacles (pipes, cheep cheep, thwomps etc.) can freely access, like I showed you in that Epic Edit program. What this means is that if the cheep cheep won't work on his standard palette, you can switch him to seven different ones. Text me for further details if you need them Smile

Since tire smoke is also track specific, we could have rainbow smoke! hehe

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Sengir - 07-15-2012

This is looking really great, will it play on a Super Wild Card Deluxe?

(also do you want this moved to GameDev now?)

(Good question actually lol Since both hackers are here, and there is alot more discussion going on about the deep details of the hack now..it would be best to move it there)

EDIT: Smaller Cheep Cheep added.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Dooku - 07-15-2012

Good news: we can now set the palettes for the racers to any of the 8 FG palettes thanks to Mattrizzle on board2. It doesn't apply for the squashed sprites or the trophy sequence though, so I'm still on the hunt for those bytes.

Sengir: I don't see why it shouldn't play on SWC. I don't think we're making any changes drastic enough to make it non-playable. I've never used anything like that, but we're hoping that we'll be able to play it on an actual SNES console one day.

(07-15-2012, 10:13 PM)Dooku Wrote: we can now set the palettes for the racers to any of the 8 FG palettes thanks to Mattrizzle on board2.

enlighten the noob, master:

FG? Does this mean characters can access their original four palettes + four extra (which I'm assuming will be the same ones that the obstacles can access)?

Segway and Dooku are whipping me like a slave to make me hurry up on this Giga Cheep Cheep.

[Image: t5vRo.png]
It's getting there! Gonna touch up it real good in a bit.

[Image: slrx4z.jpg]