The VG Resource
"New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Games Development (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-22.html)
+----- Thread: "New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] (/thread-20760.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - segwayspeedracer - 07-14-2012

Quote:Extrordinarily limited? Surely rounding to 15-bit color wouldn't look THAT terrible; there's likely to be some good rough approximations in there somewhere. Or are you referring to the scope of things that use Mario's pallette?

hehe well I'm not an artist of any kind, so I probably using the wrong word and am speaking complete n00b. But from 256 shades of RBG to 31... it just seems like a huge nerf to the rom's sprites. (would you call it shades?).

Star I know will always be able to overcome. You're right, it may only end up being a slight nuisance.

EDIT:

Also, for some ungodly reason, the SNES Palette Editor I'm using displays colors way off from what the emulator actually displays. Donkey Kong's fur was coming back purple and it was scaring me for a bit. Problem fixed. Star, carry on.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Shinbs - 07-14-2012

Those are amazing,man.
I don't know if anybody said it (I'm not reading 12 pages),but I can't help but feel that Mario and Luigi looks too "cute" in comparison to everyone else.
I mean they look great,but their heads just seem much bigger than the other,more evenly porportioned characters,making Mario look almost chibi while the mushroom kid and DK looks more "realistic" for lack of a better word.

That Sonic is perfect though Heart

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - segwayspeedracer - 07-14-2012

(07-14-2012, 12:45 PM)Shinbs Wrote: I mean they look great,but their heads just seem much bigger than the other,more evenly porportioned characters,making Mario look almost chibi while the mushroom kid and DK looks more "realistic" for lack of a better word.

A lot of people think the same way, but if you noticed the originals, Toad's head is just flat out larger than Bowser's. That, and for this rom, it's not feasible to enlarge the sprite size. A 'truly' proportioned Bowser would be amazing Heart

[Image: 2qw1k75.png]

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Shinbs - 07-14-2012

(07-14-2012, 12:49 PM)segwayspeedracer Wrote:
(07-14-2012, 12:45 PM)Shinbs Wrote: I mean they look great,but their heads just seem much bigger than the other,more evenly porportioned characters,making Mario look almost chibi while the mushroom kid and DK looks more "realistic" for lack of a better word.

A lot of people think the same way, but if you noticed the originals, Toad's head is more pronounced than Bowser's, meaning it just looks larger in a side by side comparison. That, and for this rom, it's not feasible to enlarge the sprite size. A 'truly' proportioned Bowser would be amazing Heart
Well,I understand about Bowser (and yeah a real size Bowser would be awesome)
But what I mean is that MARIO feels too chibi,with a huge head and all,while Toad,DK,Peach, etc seem more evenly porportioned to me.

Edit:I just zoomed in on the sprites and damn,they look like DS sprites,it's amazing how you managed to make so much detail within the SNES limitations.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Previous - 07-14-2012

Hello everyone. Dropping in to drop this: 15 Bit Color.
It is a nifty little program which converts colors of a PNG image to the 15bpp color system with 5 bit per color channel instead of 8.
You will see that it makes almost absolutely no difference to the naked eye.

Iceman404,

Nice cloud sprite!

[Image: fu6jrs.png]

Unfortunately, the open mouth sprite isn't used for the Final Lap lakitu Sad
Sprite editing that would be a bit of a nightmare to repoint. Although I'm certain it would be possible to have that particular cloud for the final lap lakitu. That'll be something to look at Smile

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Star - 07-14-2012

There is so much craziness going on now fsosfodngo

Thank you for fixing up the Final Lap Lakitu. I'll leave the expression on the cloud(because I really like it)and wait to see if it'll work out.
Also, the pipe is finished.

There's two things I need to ask of you Mr. Segway:

1. Does the Redlight Lakitu only have 3 frames for his animation?(red light, 2nd red light, and green light)Or is there more? If there is more..I want to try to do something to make it unique besides him throwing his hand up in the air whenever it is a greenlight.

2. Does Chain Chomp have more frames? Compared to the other objects..it seems to be missing some.

RE: "New" Super Mario Kart [Updates in First Post] - Iceman404 - 07-14-2012

Chain Chomp is one frame only. Like boo, it appears in VS matches and bounces along turns to hit unsuspecting players.

EDIT: That reminds me, your items sheet is missing boo!

FFFF, I forgot all about boo.

I'll work on him whenever I go over to Segway's house.
Also, started work on Cheep Cheep. He was actually quite a challenge lol

(07-14-2012, 02:58 PM)Star Wrote: There is so much craziness going on now fsosfodngo

Thank you for fixing up the Final Lap Lakitu. I'll leave the expression on the cloud(because I really like it)and wait to see if it'll work out.
Also, the pipe is finished.

There's two things I need to ask of you Mr. Segway:

1. Does the Redlight Lakitu only have 3 frames for his animation?(red light, 2nd red light, and green light)Or is there more? If there is more..I want to try to do something to make it unique besides him throwing his hand up in the air whenever it is a greenlight.

2. Does Chain Chomp have more frames? Compared to the other objects..it seems to be missing some.

Hmm, straight up, looking at the starting lakitu and how it changes, only his traffic light animates from step 1 to step 2. Sorry dude. And keep in mind that his open mouth is shared with the 1st place victory.

Nope chain chomp really doesn't get much love. I'm pretty sure that it's a fraction of the koopa shell because it doesn't rotate. Also, don't forget about doing Yoshi eggs and Bowser fireballs!

if you want me to send you those .pngs, text Smile

Lakitu looks a little too calm, he should hold the start light rod with both hands since you won't be able to animate it the way you wanted.

(07-14-2012, 04:42 PM)Iceman404 Wrote: Lakitu looks a little too calm, he should hold the start light rod with both hands since you won't be able to animate it the way you wanted.

keep in mind that he will also hold up the finishing flag with both hands too

Also, for Star:

[Image: 10enh2o.jpg]

You save all of your pictures in jpg. Sick
Looks fucking amazing anyhow, I love how it almost sort of glows... I seriously can't wait to try it out with hi-res mode 7.
Star is just outdoing himself here yet again. The cheep cheep is also great, I see absolutely no problems with it.

I got to test the tiles in motion and they look great! The only problem we're facing is that the outer outlines got removed when out into the game, but I honestly think it made it look better. Also thank you, Iceman for the awesome comment. That kind of support keeps me going!

Right now we're trying to put Mario in the game to test him out and..Segway is being a tard lolol

Nah I kid, but we are having problems with it. Him and the other hacker are trying to figure it out now. And I'll be sure to beat them both up for saving in Jpeg.

there's no redeeming for my computer failing!!!

[Image: 316t15k.jpg]

(palette has NOT been updated) Smile