The VG Resource
"New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Games Development (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-22.html)
+----- Thread: "New" Super Mario Kart [WILL BE UPDATING AFTER IM DONE WITH OTHER STUFF] (/thread-20760.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[Thwomps are hell to make] - Star - 07-13-2012

I hate double posting but uh..

I fixed up the pipe. Is that better?
[Image: WCgRz.png]

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[Thwomps are hell to make] - Iceman404 - 07-13-2012

Much better indeed. I seriously can't wait to see this all in game, especially the item panel tile.

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[Thwomps are hell to make] - Kriven - 07-13-2012

Wait, what? Commissioned fan art is illegal? That isn't right... It's not like the art was already made and then sold, it was specifically ordered by a private investor... I don't understand trademark laws they make no sense ;-;

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[Thwomps are hell to make] - Star - 07-13-2012

I honestly can't wait either. Tongue

I was VERY curious as to how the item panel tile would turn out so..I'm forcing them to test it out tonight to see how it comes out haha.
I'll post the screencaps whenever they do it. I'm hoping it turns out like how I pictured it in my head.

@Kriven: Trademark laws get confusing. Adding "Rom Hack" to the mix just creates a shitstorm of law confusion
fonsognsg;

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[Thwomps are hell to make] - Iceman404 - 07-13-2012

@Kriven: The characters man

Screw the characters

This is Super Item Kart~

But the items have no arms...

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[Thwomps are hell to make] - Garamonde - 07-13-2012

They could drive with their minds.

(07-13-2012, 07:58 PM)Iceman404 Wrote: But the items have no arms...
Use your...IMAGINATION

[Image: tumblr_lqmb58zs8J1qcafvv.gif]

RE: What if Starpower worked on Super Mario Kart?[Thwomps are hell to make] - Link - 07-13-2012

I'd imagine the reason why it's illegal is because it'd be supporting another act which is clearly illegal (i.e. the making of a fangame with nintendo's IP)

But this is so small-time that it doesn't really even matter. Ethically, star and company aren't going to do anything to deter nintendo's ability to sell their IP (it'll probably help their sales if this actually gets around) so it's no big deal.

As for the pipe, I think the rim of it should be a little bit smaller. Since the sprite's dimensions don't look to be the same aspect ratio as it normally would be (it's too skinny due to restrictions, I think) the rim extenuates the feeling of it being off the way it is.

EDIT -- Actually, looking at them, the darker pipe looks good to me in shape, but I prefer the lighter one's colors. If you combine them, I think it'll be perfect.~

I followed Link's advice and used the new colors on the old pipe. Check the first post to see it~

Also, Thwomp is done. Yes, the shrinking sprites will forever bug my perfectionism..but as long as they look good animated I'm okay with it.

RE: Super Item Kart[Check the first post for updates on items, screw the characters] - Iceman404 - 07-13-2012

Holy balls I am in love with that thwomp.

I... I think I want it to crush me now

o////o

RE: Super Item Kart[Check the first post for updates on items, screw the characters] - Ton - 07-13-2012

BA-DRMPH

RE: Super Item Kart[Check the first post for updates on items, screw the characters] - segwayspeedracer - 07-13-2012

Yeah Star completely took the project to legendary status with his work and produced some BRILLIANT sprites. Truly, a lot of our work is because I didn't want for Star's work to be diminished (I seriously didn't know how to change palettes in the game until a week AFTER he made the Mario sprite). could you imagine his Bowser sprite with original colors? grottie...

I read a bit on what was being said. I don't have a problem with Waluigi or Daisy, but programming stuff like more drivers into the game is not feasible. Not impossible, but unrealistic.. Even repointing the AI Wario's koopa shell with a chain chomp sprite (or whatever replaces the chomp... I want Wario to have a more personal item) may not happen just because it's not clear on where to start. Also, I commissioned Wario in this game as a personal favor to Star. I much prefer Koopa over Wario honestly, but Star's a Wario fanatic and I knew he was itching for the chance to see him come alive. The original cast will be present, and players can patch Wario over Koopa if they chose!

There have been claims that making more than eight racers is possible, but damn: The SMK rom does not have enough free space as far as I'm aware. Not enough free time or smarts to figure that out.

Lol and yeah, I'll have the sprites-only patch released with this game. I mean, it only took me a day to extract all the sprites from the original game. Why not seem like a gracious host to the raiders if you have a castle made of paper? hehe. And If someone wants to make use of these sprites for an entirely different game, as long as Star's fine with it, go crazy!

Sorry for the long post. it's very lonely in the romhacking section unless you're on Super Mario World. And Star really is the star of the project!!

RE: Super Item Kart[Check the first post for updates on items, screw the characters] - Ridge Troopa - 07-13-2012

(07-13-2012, 08:16 PM)Link Wrote: (i.e. the making of a fangame with nintendo's IP)
But this is so small-time that it doesn't really even matter.

Almost. It's because Nintendo owns the IP/characters, and they're not profiting from Star's commission. This kind of thing is done all the time but usually overlooked (see: cons, deviantART)
I do realize that this isn't a big deal; it's just that personally I feel uncomfortable taking commissions for others' IP's, so that's why I threw my two cents in.

Ok on to sprites now.
For the pipe... I think a brightness between the old and new would look best, but also shift the hue slightly towards blue.
Also, are the shrinking sprites really necessary? Or does the game engine not resize them on its own...?