The VG Resource
Gaming Lounge - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Gaming Lounge (/thread-20616.html)

RE: Gaming Lounge - Iceman404 - 04-01-2014

This song made my childhood.

This right here.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Gors - 04-02-2014

this is a nice tune, I like how it sounds childish, what YI is about

RE: Gaming Lounge - Helmo - 04-02-2014

so

what the fuck is it with Nintendo and this handheld yoshi shit

RE: Gaming Lounge - FinalSmash - 04-02-2014

(04-02-2014, 12:58 PM)Helmo Wrote: so

what the fuck is it with Nintendo and this handheld yoshi shit

What? Yoshi is great! The 3DS is the best selling handheld in the world right now, and it's only going to sell more. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic right now, but I completely disagree with your statement.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Kitsu - 04-02-2014

probably the fact that

every handheld yoshi game is shit

(even super mario advance 3, if only because they changed out the sounds; otherwise YI isn't even bad at all)

RE: Gaming Lounge - E-Man - 04-02-2014

Yes, thank you, Kitsu. That's pretty much the reason in a nutshell.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you knew about this already, FinalSmash, but the Yoshi's Island handheld titles (with the exception of the GBA port of the original game) are not all that great. Personally, I find Yoshi's Island DS an enjoyable game (even though not too many people liked it), but I can agree that Yoshi's New Island pales in comparison to the original and the sequel because it didn't do a whole lot to innovate the game. Sure, we have the big Eggs, a few new Yoshi forms, and Yoshi gets to zoom across the room, but even adding a bunch of additional babies to change Yoshi's play style was a more original and fun idea than any of those changes would ever do. Besides, you get to use the babies in almost every level, while the other gimmicks are more or less one stop only in a handful of worlds. On top of that, even the level design of the DS game is a lot more interesting compared to the 3DS game (the lackluster extra stages from the 3DS game come to mind).

Sure, Yoshi is a good character and the 3DS is successful, but it does not change the fact that Yoshi's New Island is far from a good sequel and the studio that produced it needs to either shape up or ship out (especially considering that Artoon had a bad history of creating poor and mediocre games).

Well, I'll take your word for it, I don't have a 3DS so I've never played it. I'll be getting it if I ever get one though, probably a 2DS.

OK then, there's nothing stopping you from getting Yoshi's New Island. While I think I will give this game a miss (besides that Topsy Turvy game, it's the only Yoshi game that comes to mind that I will never play), you're free to try this game out for yourself. Who knows? You might actually enjoy it more than others. Beisdes, it's not like I don't enjoy unpopular games other fans shunned (I like Spyro: A Hero's Tale for example).

I'm that way too. I'm fine with the NSMB line, but everyone else says they're all the same game.

Well, the story behind the New Super Mario Bros. games is not too different from how the Yoshi's Island games fell from grace.

Prior to New Super Mario Bros. getting released, Mario has starred in many other game series besides his 2-D platforming adventures. Whether it be 3-D platformers, party games, kart racing, and a few RPGS on the side, Mario is a very versatile character. Sadly, these games gave Mario less time to go back to his roots, so it was a miracle that Nintendo created the first New Super Mario Bros. game to correct that problem. As expected, tis

Much like Yoshi's Island DS, while the sequel for the Wii had a lot of new and interesting features, it did not go too well because some fans were pointing out how it was nothing more than the same game. In fact, this was made even worse with the release of New Super Mario Bros. 2 (which was almost literally a cash cow). As a result, a good game like New Super Mario Bros. U got more hate than it should since Nintendo was starting to release too many sequels that only added little changes.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Gors - 04-02-2014

The problem is that for many people, SNES YI set the bar really high in quality, and when a new yoshi game comes out, the first thing they do is say YI was better

They did this with every single game after YI. Yoshi Story, Topsy Turvy, the Yoshi touch game etc.

But honestly i dont care. I enjoy them anyway because its lighthearted fun. The tip is not to set the expectations absurdly high.

RE: Gaming Lounge - TomGuycott - 04-02-2014

I have yet to play the 3DS Yoshi, but one thing I've always noticed on reviews is that they use footage of fun-looking levels and areas that don't seem as familiar to me from the original while trying to make points about how the game borrows too much from the originals and has nothing fun or innovative.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Kitsu - 04-02-2014

(psst

yoshi's story was also really good)

RE: Gaming Lounge - Crappy Blue Luigi - 04-02-2014

yoshi's story was a baby game for babies and also everyone else because it's actually pretty fun despite being the second easiest game after kirby's dream land

RE: Gaming Lounge - Helmo - 04-02-2014

Yoshi's Story is pretty great

its just the bosses...