The VG Resource
Gaming Lounge - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Gaming Lounge (/thread-20616.html)

RE: Gaming Lounge - Koh - 08-16-2013

That was one of the major issues with CV2...it was overly cryptic, and all the NPCs were useless. It was a Nintendo Power game.

Of course there's also my favorite: "You now prossess Dracula's Rib." "A symbol of evil will appaer when you strike the stake."

RE: Gaming Lounge - BullockDS - 08-16-2013

"Don't look into the Death Star or you will die" is my favorite.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Lemonray - 08-16-2013

(08-16-2013, 09:16 AM)BullockDS Wrote: it's annoying to have an attack delay

I don't mind the delay of the whip.
Melee weapon attacks in games almost always have noticeable delays of some length. Of course having too much of a delay is a huge issue but I think the Vampire Killer's delay is perfectly acceptable, especially considering how long the whip is (When fully upgraded) compared to say, Link's sword.
Once you get the feel of the whip (It's not exactly the same in all the games, for example in any given title it might be longer relative to the size of the player's sprite, and may or may not be capable of hitting enemies behind the player at the start of the whipping animation. It might have one, or two, or eight different directions of attack, and most of the games from SCV4 onwards have let you move the whip around by holding the button and messing with the d-pad) you should be able to use it well.

RE: Gaming Lounge - TomGuycott - 08-16-2013

Another thing about the whip that I find makes the delay acceptable is the fact that a direct hit from it often delays ENEMY movement, so proper timing and consistent attack can delay enemies long enough to win.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Koh - 08-16-2013

I dunno...Dracula X showed, with Maria, that even with consistent attack speed (the birds), the game can still be a challenging son of a gun. A little girl turns out to be the best choice over an experienced hunter XD.

RE: Gaming Lounge - NICKtendo DS - 08-17-2013

Looks like according to Nintendo's Twitter, the 30% discount on NSMB2 DLC is to celebrate 1 year of NSMB2, not the 1 trillion coin milestone.
It can go 3 ways:
-They'll celebrate the 1 trillion coin somehow, preferably with a DLC pack similar to Gold Classics.
-They'll take this as a happy coincidence and have this discount also cover said milestone.
-They'll do nothing, further supporting their lack of care for NSMB2's one key feature.

Should I have my hopes up? Absolutely not, but come on! One trillion coins! Are they even checking?

RE: Gaming Lounge - Mutsukki - 08-18-2013

I just want to say that I hate Castlevania 4's whip system and that Dracula X is the better game

(And Castlevania 2 is fucking horrible)

im outta here

RE: Gaming Lounge - Gors - 08-18-2013

I found that game's Maria to be exactly what you want with Castlevania. (which also means making the game pathetically easy). Oh well

Also i really suggest playing Genesis's Bloodlines, It's really fun too

RE: Gaming Lounge - Koh - 08-18-2013

She did make it easier...but not for the wrong reasons. I think if I didn't use her to get used to the boss rush and Shaft, I would never have gotten pass that part as fast as I did, considering how slow Richter's DPS is compared to her. I swear there are some instances in that fight where you're forced to take damage, because of the alignment of the projectiles. It's almost like CV3 and Dracula's pillars of fire.

I've heard Bloodlines was a good game. I never had it during its era, so the best that's going to happen is...me Googling for the rom and trying it out later.

RE: Gaming Lounge - TomGuycott - 08-18-2013

I know for a fact it is possible to dodge the pillars of fire in CV3, Dracula X is a lot harder to dodge. Many PC Engine games were Bullet Hell games for whatever reason. The same thing happened with the Ys series on PC Engine. Ys IV was a particularly large example of Bullet Hell bosses.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Terminal Devastation - 08-19-2013

In my opinion. The difference in controls between the old CVs and the newer one isn't a case of artificial difficulty, but slow and fast gameplay. The old CVs mechanics worked well for cases where you could carefully time your jumps. Sure you messed up and died a few times, but you almost always knew you either jumped a little too early or a little too late. The slow gameplay combined with a stage timer was artificial difficulty on the other hand.

I also have to disagree that the old enemies haven't kept up with the newer characters increased agility and mobility. It's not the mobility that has made them less dangerous... its the increase of weapon flexibility and variety (and to a lesser extend an increase in durability, and more forgiving jumps). A medusa head is STILL a dangerous pain in the neck to deal with when you're using a whip type weapon in the same way as the original. Same for Skele-dragons and fleaman. If my memory isn't too fuzzy, i think the only enemy actually significantly lessened in difficulty by the increased mobility may be the axe armor... who used to be the highest end enemy in the original... and is now a beginning level enemy.

RE: Gaming Lounge - TomGuycott - 08-19-2013

I only JUST heard about this happening.

Is anyone as excited as I am? DDDDVery Sad

RE: Gaming Lounge - redblueyellow - 08-19-2013

Didn't think it deserved it's own thread, so I felt like this might be the best place to ask.

I'm thinking about getting a 3DS soon, but I'm tied between the original 3DS or XL. I looked up the general differences between them (battery life, screen size, price) but is the XL upgrade worth the extra $30?

EDIT: 1,500 posts, cool. Cool

RE: Gaming Lounge - Kriven - 08-19-2013

Does the XL still not have a charger, and if not, do you have a 3DS compatible charger?

RE: Gaming Lounge - redblueyellow - 08-19-2013

From what I read on wikipedia, the XL comes with a charger in the US. Also, I do not have a 3DS compatible charger.