The VG Resource
Gaming Lounge - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Gaming Lounge (/thread-20616.html)

RE: Gaming Lounge - TomGuycott - 08-05-2013

It looks like they slapped Zelda attire onto pre existing models of theirs. It's especially apparently with Ganondorf, who I'm pretty sure is a reskin of a character they've used in other movies already. Also he's got World of Warcraft armor.

Also those shadow demons look pretty generic. I think they might have been aiming for the TP Twilit guys, but fell short and made them more like those generic things from the Tmnt movie I never really saw. Also begs the question why Gdorf would be controlling them in the first place if they were Twilit things, but yeah, I'm glad this didn't happen personally. It's a fun thing to have around as a trailer though, looks like a typical fan made thing with some extra polish. I also liked Zelda's sword.

RE: Gaming Lounge - NICKtendo DS - 08-05-2013

For those who care, a New Super Mario Bros. 2 milestone!
The world wide coin counter hit the 1.000.000.000.000 mark. That's one trillion and a whole lot of digits.
And now we'll wait forever for Nintendo to do something with it.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Koopaul - 08-06-2013

Huh... The rubber thingy fell off of my 3DS slider.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Koh - 08-12-2013

So I'm really late to this one, but...apparently, there was a Castlevania: Symphony of the Night remake on the iOS called Encore of the night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXwDRffmgG0

These kinds of games have nothing on the Puyo Puyo series xD.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Gors - 08-13-2013

i miss u actual castlavania games

RE: Gaming Lounge - BullockDS - 08-13-2013

I actually got Encore of the Night when it was a dollar (dunno if it still is), and it's really not too spectacular; in fact, it's pretty boring. Also, other than Alucard's redrawn graphics, sprites are either just left magnified or "retouched" to look like 2xSai trash (Richter in particular took a big hit), but for a dollar I can't complain too much.

EDIT: IMO, it's also a HUGE missed opportunity to finally give Richter some sprites that actually reflect his official art.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Lemonray - 08-13-2013

(08-13-2013, 07:53 AM)Gorsalami Wrote: i miss u actual castlavania games

I miss real Castlevanias too :( I'm hoping we'll get something good after LoS2 is over and done with.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Marth - 08-13-2013

Just beat Pikmin 3. Damn that was a good game.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Koh - 08-14-2013

(08-13-2013, 07:53 AM)Gorsalami Wrote: i miss u actual castlavania games
What about Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP? I enjoyed that remake, and unlocked Symphony of the Night and the original PC Engine version (and that silly error game), and played those well. That had to be the best Castlevania compilation ever. I just hate how All the Dracula X games went back to the stiff controls and cheap deaths shown on the NES games, after Castlevania 4, because you're unable to whip diagonally and jump better. Why would you do that? That's like making the next 2D Zelda game grid-based like the first one, and stiffening Link's arm so he can only stab the sword like it's some kind of knife, instead of slashing it.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Gors - 08-14-2013

the stiffness is something I like, actually, because it forces you to think and find the best path or way to beat the level. SCV4 was like whip everywhere and jump everywhere imo. I used to think that SCV4 was better than any other classic ones, but after playing Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines, I changed my mind :---)

RE: Gaming Lounge - BullockDS - 08-14-2013

The difference between Zelda and Castlevania is that the Zelda games that gave Link more flexibility adapted to those abilities, whereas Super CV4's 8-directional whip and Simon's newly found flexible control contrasted with most of the game, as the level design and enemies rarely accounted for Simon's easier control, making that game noticably easier than CV1/3 (but not bad by any means).

I do agree that the post-CV4 loss of a dedicated subweapon button sucks; I can understand why it went away for Rondo of Blood and the GBA games (lack of available action buttons), but I think games like Symphony of the Night could've de-cluttered some things (SotN's two "hand" buttons, three transformation buttons, a backdash button and a jump button are a bit much altogether).

I've never been one to be fond of unnecessary stiff controls in video games. If they loosen them up, they can make the challenges more skill based, instead of based around stiffness. I'd like for it to feel like when I lose, it was because I wasn't skillful enough, rather than "If we could actually CHANGE THE MOMENTUM midjump like any other game, that jump wouldn't be so cheap." It's even more ridiculous in platform shooters, when they make it so you can't aim your gun in certain directions, but always put enemies there, so it becomes impossible to deal with them. Most common offense tends to be enemies that are on the ground, where you can't point your gun for some reason. Contra had to have the best platforming shooting controls, and was still a challenging game, making it far more skill based than stiff-control based.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Helmo - 08-14-2013

The super flexible whip really defeats the need for items

RE: Gaming Lounge - Gors - 08-14-2013

uh

mastering the physics of the game is also part of 'skill'. That's the whole point of games like Ghouls n' Ghosts and Castlevania. The levels in those games are molded exactly to challenge the player within this limitation. Just face it.

my two cents

Is the message to take from that a game can be as stiff as possible, with bad jumping physics to boot, as long as the challenges are based around it? If that's the case, I'd say the Action 52 games are underrated.