The VG Resource
Gaming Lounge - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Gaming Lounge (/thread-20616.html)

RE: Gaming Lounge - Vipershark - 02-20-2013

watch_dogs best of show yet again

RE: Gaming Lounge - Previous - 02-20-2013

Did I just stay up and watch the whole event

oh wow.

Apparently people were expecting them to show the console, haha. I told them from the beginning that it won't happen and guess what.

The SquEx tech demo looked familiar, I'm pretty sure I've seen that one before, probably with some WÜ stuff? :>

RE: Gaming Lounge - Helmo - 02-20-2013

waste of time everything looked lame

RE: Gaming Lounge - Vipershark - 02-20-2013

I've definitely seen that Squenix demo before.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Lemonray - 02-21-2013

"Like PC hardware but supercharged!"

Hahahahaha.

RE: Gaming Lounge - NICKtendo DS - 02-21-2013

That PS4 announcement... I don't feel the magic.
This could be the Nintendo fanboy in me talking, but it very much felt like that there's not much the PS4 can do what the Wii U can't, other than super duper pretty eyegasmic graphics.

I don't know. I see it as a risky thing, financially. That thing'll probably be expensive, I'm not paying 200 bucks for a Wii U controller substitute and because everyone is expecting this super high quality games, more devs will lean towards the Wii U because it's more affordable and safer to develop for.

This is merely a feeling and I could be (very) wrong. While the Nintendo Wii U opens another door to allow new types of gameplay, Sony Playstation 4 simply opens up their current door even more. That's my view. I prefer fun and fresh games over games with stunning graphics. I'm not going to lie, everything on the PS4 looks sexy as fuck, but I can live with 3DS graphics, let alone that of the Wii U. I don't need eye candy, I need games.

You can either believe me or not, but this is close to what I predicted the console to be and I predict the new Xbox won't be much different.

RE: Gaming Lounge - puggsoy - 02-21-2013

HHRRRRRRRNNNNGG

Not sure if anybody else really cares but I do.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Goemar - 02-21-2013

I watched the whole thing live. It wasn't good. It was like the no-news of Microsoft's E3s mixed with the bad Nintendo E3s (WiiMusic).
I mean people were moving Move wands to make people dance, and then play instruments - but well, was it scripted and moved things slightly, was more at play - just what was the point?

Blue bags falling from the sky may be a technical marvel, but well - it's not really impressive to watch. Doing something more interesting (a million locusts, or flowers blooming, hell even colourful balloons - again) would have been cooler but it was still something that didn't need to be shown. Kameo promised 1000s of orcs on screen at once at one time...

As much as I like Killzone (minus the first game) with how slow the show was going, a demo where someone walked around slowly for a while at the start wasn't the best of ideas - same goes for Watchdogs. Which is well... not a PS4 exclusive and in all honesty (bearing in mind I was watching a stream) didn't look that much better from the current gen versions of it shown previously.

Knack, gameplay wise, also didn't look amazing. It seems more of a "we can use lots of objects, so lets do it" instead of a game which has been waiting for a system powerful enough.

The Witness and Diablo III also seemed pointless. I like Blow's work - but my god I hate that guy, he's so up his own arse. And with how far Sony was already up their own arse with this reveal it was painful listening to him. It's cool it's on the PS4 but showing some random scenery and puzzles didn't do anything for me. This is more something that could have been tagged on as a foot note, nothing that needed to be a main part of the show.

The main problem though was too much of people talking PR bull. Don't tell us - show us.

Have a 1 v 1 fighting game with giant robots (think Neon Genesis Evangelion) where you can kick each other through buildings, glass breaking, dust clouds, a whole city as your arena that is fully destructible. Show how people can watch from their vita/ipad etc but not just in the traditional way, but as one of the 1000s of civilians in the city or a news copter or something. Loosing? Call an expert friend for help when your health is low, robot goes into 'berserk' as your friend battles with his health bar flashing red. Anything, something - don't just tell us. A demonstration which becomes nothing more than that is better than a person using long PR words over and over again. Have the news copter guy upload the video - complete with his commentary. Show us these features in some kind of action.

RE: Gaming Lounge - NICKtendo DS - 02-22-2013

Goemar, I wish I could triple Thank you for your post, because it's so spot on with what I thought, but couldn't bring to words.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Vipershark - 02-22-2013

(02-21-2013, 01:28 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: I don't know. I see it as a risky thing, financially. That thing'll probably be expensive, I'm not paying 200 bucks for a Wii U controller substitute and because everyone is expecting this super high quality games, more devs will lean towards the Wii U because it's more affordable and safer to develop for.

Didn't happen with the Wii.

RE: Gaming Lounge - NICKtendo DS - 02-22-2013

(02-22-2013, 05:22 AM)Vipershark Wrote:
(02-21-2013, 01:28 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: I don't know. I see it as a risky thing, financially. That thing'll probably be expensive, I'm not paying 200 bucks for a Wii U controller substitute and because everyone is expecting this super high quality games, more devs will lean towards the Wii U because it's more affordable and safer to develop for.

Didn't happen with the Wii.

It's hard to deny the crappiness of the Wii compared to its competitors, but the Wii U has HD now and Nintendo is stronger than ever in the console market.
I've seen how the superior PSVita is competing with the 'inferior' 3DS; the 3DS, dispite the rocky start, is leading. That has to do with supply-and-demand and price. I see people hanging on to their PS3s rather than dishing out 500 bucks I'm guessing the thing'll cost at least to upgrade. No one is going to pay 200 bucks for a faux Wii U Gamepad just to have the ability to play without the TV, if they didn't have the Vita already.
It's going to be pricey, Diablo III is getting a PS3 port too, so why not buy that instead of investing half a grand for sexier graphics and if people had to choose between a 500+ bucks system and a 350 one, most'll lean towards the cheaper option.
Again, I might be a bit biased and really wrong. Just putting my thoughts out there.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Previous - 02-22-2013

The only problem with the Vita is that there is hardly any software for it that makes it worth the money. The price in itself is fine for that piece.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Gors - 02-22-2013

for a console named Vita it sure is dead, huh

I really like that ' the Witness' trailer, it's mystical-looking and interests me. But to be honest, do we need to go PS4 to render those stuff? Like, It looks like the GC or PS2 could render it without great loss.

I don't really understand the need of graphics, for me it could stop on GC/PS2, PS3 at most. Oh well

RE: Gaming Lounge - puggsoy - 02-22-2013

I don't think The Witness was really made with the PS4 in mind, I think it's just be on there because it'll be out by the time the PS4 is released. That is, it'll probably make little use of any high-end graphics capabilities. It's going to be on iOS too, (and PC of course) so yeah, I think it's just going with PS4 because it's the newest Playstation.

Also I agree with what you said with graphics, to be honest GC games are already enough for me. I mean you can see the difference a bit, but at this point it only really matters if you're playing on a huge screen or zooming in real close.
I think they should move their focus to stuff like AI and realistic movements. That is, in Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 people move pretty robotic, some more natural movements would be nice. That said I haven't played many modern games of that sort recently so they may have already sorted that out.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Goemar - 02-22-2013

It's fiddly graphics we're looking at now. Snow that melts realistically off your clothes, floor which responds to acid blood, cloth/hair movement - yes it looks cool, but once you start playing the game it just takes a back seat so you don't notice it.

Apparently in God of War III Krato's veins bulged when he hit things (which he did a lot) - I never noticed.

Ground Zeroes looks about the same graphical power as what the PS4 has shown so far. Sure the emotions of Cage's next Heavy Rain-like game will look great - but we're already at the level where they look good enough to cause a response. Making them look better won't make that response any more powerful. I also hate to think what the development cost is for such a level of detail.

Also they added a touch pad to the controller - and did nothing with it but move the camera. The right stick does this, and if your playing a face paced game you're not going to use the touch pad as it's going to be hard to hold the controller that way. Why even have it - if your not going to give us a reason to actually have it?