The VG Resource
Gaming Lounge - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Gaming Lounge (/thread-20616.html)

RE: Gaming Lounge - Phantom Killah - 11-12-2012

(11-12-2012, 07:47 PM)Chairman Pug Wrote: sticker star is nothing special...

Only on world 2 and I'm enjoying it so far, but they've made some absolutely baffling design decisions.

Nearly all of the NPCs are generic Toads. They literally all look the same, except for colour, and none of them are given unique names. The other games in the series had tonnes of memorable minor characters by now, in Sticker Star I've only met characters like "green Toad who runs the museum and really likes stickers" or "red Toad who is really bummed out about the sticker festival being ruined."
A lot of the charm is still there, but in a game like this, where personality is so important, it makes no sense that they would deliberately avoid creating memorable characters. I really do not understand.

Also, I don't like that they've gotten rid of experience points, I don't like that there aren't partners anymore, and I don't feel much narrative drive (I just went to the desert because...there's a royal sticker there, I guess? Nothing plot related happened after beating the first boss. My sidekick just criticized me for using too many stickers when there was an easier way to do it, and then I went to level 2-1 on the world map because there's a Wiggler blocking the way in level 3-1, so it's the only place I could go)

RE: Gaming Lounge - Mutsukki - 11-12-2012

I'm still waiting for mine, but I heard that this is really not story driven at all. And even less RPG than the other ones, it's more of a puzzle-adventure thing (but with less story, lol).

Well, I'll still wait and play mine when it gets here. I have a feeling that I will enjoy it anyway.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Helmo - 11-12-2012

you wake up the wiggler with the trumphet

also I completley agree pk

all the personality is gone, green sticker toad and bummer red toad wow

RE: Gaming Lounge - StarSock64 - 11-12-2012

The one nintendo series I thought would still have personality

welp I guess I'm just too optimistic

I mean, I'm sure I'll have fun. But it's paper mario, come on...

RE: Gaming Lounge - Helmo - 11-12-2012

Paper Mario and it's sequel had more personality and charm than anything else I've ever played.

It would be my favorite series

if the two games after the masterpiece that was TYD were actually

faithful to the originals

RE: Gaming Lounge - Ngamer01 - 11-13-2012

But being faithful to the originals is what leads franchises to stagnate (Zelda, NSMB, Pokemon main series, etc.). Granted the Paper Mario series only has four games, but what if Super Paper Mario and later Sticker Star had stayed close to Paper Mario's roots and not deviated after TTYD?

Some of us would be criticizing Nintendo for not doing anything new in the Paper Mario series. I look forward to playing Sticker Star when I can get my copy of the game even if there are problems with the game. I do appreciate Nintendo trying new things even if they miss the mark sometimes.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Helmo - 11-13-2012

(11-13-2012, 04:21 PM)Ngamer01 Wrote: But being faithful to the originals is what leads franchises to stagnate (Zelda, NSMB, Pokemon main series, etc.). Granted the Paper Mario series only has four games, but what if Super Paper Mario and later Sticker Star had stayed close to Paper Mario's roots and not deviated after TTYD?

Some of us would be criticizing Nintendo for not doing anything new in the Paper Mario series. I look forward to playing Sticker Star when I can get my copy of the game even if there are problems with the game. I do appreciate Nintendo trying new things even if they miss the mark sometimes.

No it's fine if they want to experiment with regular Mario he has like a billion different types of games

They're free to add more stuff to the gameplay too, I love stylish moves and the battle roulette! What I don't like is when they completley remove everything paper mario about paper mario.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Mutsukki - 11-13-2012

He's still paper, so: Paper Mario.

(don't take me too seriously. you probably have good points about that, I still want to play it to judge though~)

RE: Gaming Lounge - Helmo - 11-13-2012

thats what I thought

but there is a paperize mode in game

paper inception

RE: Gaming Lounge - NICKtendo DS - 11-14-2012

(11-13-2012, 04:51 PM)Chairman Pug Wrote: No it's fine if they want to experiment with regular Mario he has like a billion different types of games

They're free to add more stuff to the gameplay too, I love stylish moves and the battle roulette! What I don't like is when they completley remove everything paper mario about paper mario.

It sucks that it isn't the same as 1 and 2, because we expect it to be. The idea of a sticker system in a world of paper and cardboard works, it has a certain charm to it, which is why Paper Mario fits the profile.

But what if we treat this game as if the other Paper Marios didn't exist? We are left with that which matters, the game itself. Without a doubt it would be great to have a game like Paper Mario and TYD, but this game can be great in its own way.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Helmo - 11-14-2012

It sucks that it isn't like the first two games because they were really good and this is not. This game has a nice concept for a battle system but I don't like the execution, the lack of leveling up makes me just want to avoid all the battles (since money is easy as hell to acquire anyways) and not being able to attack at all without stickers is dumb. I dislike the lack of story and wonderful writing (which is weird because it's called mario story in japan), and the atmosphere just isn't there like it is in the other games.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Mutsukki - 11-14-2012

Just getting technical here, but the only game which the japanese title is Mario Story is the first Paper Mario. Starting from the second one (which is Paper Mario RPG there) it has been called Paper Mario as well.

RE: Gaming Lounge - Kriven - 11-14-2012

(11-14-2012, 02:44 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: but this game can be great in its own way.

Yes, it can. But that's not what it's doing. It's trying to be great by saying: "Hey! Look! Another Paper Mario game! Aren't you happy?!" and not "Hey! Look! Another cool, unique, original, well-executed game! Aren't you happy?!"

RE: Gaming Lounge - Helmo - 11-14-2012

(11-14-2012, 03:17 PM)Mutskeeter Wrote: Just getting technical here, but the only game which the japanese title is Mario Story is the first Paper Mario. Starting from the second one (which is Paper Mario RPG there) it has been called Paper Mario as well.

thanks for the details nerd

RE: Gaming Lounge - NICKtendo DS - 11-14-2012

Yeah, I would have prefered a true Paper Mario, and I have been hearing a few negative sounds about it. I do love the concept and commend the risk IS has taken.
I live in Europe, so I can't really judge if the game is good or not. I'm really trying to hang on tight to my slowly dying hope that Nintendo can redeem for their laziness. New Super Mario Bros. U is a huge step folward though.
I'm still neutral. However, the feedback Sticker Star has been getting has pushed it down my wishlist. My top priority now is getting Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for 3DS. I don't have a PS3, Vita or X-Box, the Wii U is waay beyond my budget and I am not a PC-gamer. Might as well go for the system I use most.

It's funny how SEGA recognizes their mistakes and try to make them right, while Nintendo basically admits they are not afraid to over-saturate their top-franchise. It worries me, because I really like Mario.