The VG Resource
Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega (/thread-19346.html)

Pages: 1 2

Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - SKELTON S. SKELETON - 01-28-2012

first (?) non-Yakuza game from the Yakuza team.
from: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/01/binary_domain_trailer/

Watch the trailer all the way through.

details: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/01/binary_domain

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - Cobalt Blue - 01-28-2012

I failed to realise how whas that dramatic. if anything, feels like a cross between terminator and vanquish

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - SKELTON S. SKELETON - 01-29-2012

i guess it's not in that trailer, but the way the game is based is around an ingame choice system. you never are presented with the option to pick a dialogue form a menu, but instead, make on the fly choices on how to proceed through a mission (who lives and who dies) and this reflects the attitudes of your teammates and other civilians

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - Cobalt Blue - 01-29-2012

that is one hell of a terrible trailer if such an important element like that is not mentioned anywhere.

but hey, sega is terrible at marketing after all.

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - PrettyNier - 01-30-2012

im legitimately interested in this game.

that said, i also have serious reservations: this can mostly be seen in the protagonists themselves.

the setting and the plot has potential and the visual style of the game is actually tastefully futuristic; it has just enough flair of creativity to be interesting, while not deviating into absurd territory. it strikes a very nice balance. even the suits of the meat-head marines aren't groan-worthy.

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - Koopaul - 01-31-2012

(01-29-2012, 09:02 PM)Meta Wrote: that is one hell of a terrible trailer if such an important element like that is not mentioned anywhere.

but hey, sega is terrible at marketing after all.

Honestly, the way people are (stupid as all hell) I'm sure they don't need to advertise that. Just show explosions, shooting, and robots. You're bound to make money.

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - SKELTON S. SKELETON - 02-01-2012

how about this

god this looks so fuckin cool

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - Cobalt Blue - 02-01-2012

now thats what i call a trailer that actually shows why this is not another action game.

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - Proton - 02-01-2012

(02-01-2012, 08:32 AM)Meta Wrote: now thats what i call a trailer that actually shows why this is not another action game.

I must have missed this part because I don't see why.

I understand that the game has to be serious,
but literally saying something out of place is penalized?
So what if you accidentally slip the controller and press the wrong command?
That's highly likely in a game like this.

When Fay gets up when Dan ask her to cover him,
she stands up and lags getting up and doesn't cover at all.
It's hard to look at that and see "super serious."
It's weird when she says "is that the best you can do" in a calm environment, and he yells "Yes!" like he's in serious combat.

When the AI doesn't agree with you, something was off.
Why have a character run around with a sniper rifle or not do the job of someone who has the sniper rifle? The AI isn't clever, it's just masked using voice communications and different speech deliveries. It's like they aren't trained. They all have the same objective,
and yes, they can disagree, but each person has a job and they should do it. The Sniper should take out the other Sniper. That's the job; it's not a choice.

Squad Based shooters are fun,
and I'm sure this will be.

But it looks set-up to avoid human interaction and focus on AI interaction,
which isn't the best thing about having a squad.

But I don't see anything in this that makes it not another action game.
Especially when it has a morality system and western style.

Both of which are being heavily pushed now to begin with.

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - Cobalt Blue - 02-01-2012

i could argue on that saying that the trailer states that both scenarios are "worst and best case", just to make it more clear the diferences between each job. i also remember a part where it clearly states that "bad decisions and lack of communication lead to a poorly organized, confused squad. if we put this in context, it would certainly lead to the death of your squad members and it would certainly explain the negative answers from your subordinates. hence why the "low/high" trust system would work.

however, this is me speaking for a game we barely know anything but a few videos and such. speculation and hype are usually a bad thing when it comes to asume how things work.

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - SKELTON S. SKELETON - 02-03-2012

(02-01-2012, 04:51 PM)Proton Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 08:32 AM)Meta Wrote: now thats what i call a trailer that actually shows why this is not another action game.

When Fay gets up when Dan ask her to cover him,
she stands up and lags getting up and doesn't cover at all.
It's hard to look at that and see "super serious."
It's weird when she says "is that the best you can do" in a calm environment, and he yells "Yes!" like he's in serious combat.

When the AI doesn't agree with you, something was off.
Why have a character run around with a sniper rifle or not do the job of someone who has the sniper rifle? The AI isn't clever, it's just masked using voice communications and different speech deliveries. It's like they aren't trained. They all have the same objective,
and yes, they can disagree, but each person has a job and they should do it. The Sniper should take out the other Sniper. That's the job; it's not a choice.

Squad Based shooters are fun,
and I'm sure this will be.

But it looks set-up to avoid human interaction and focus on AI interaction,
which isn't the best thing about having a squad.

But I don't see anything in this that makes it not another action game.
Especially when it has a morality system and western style.

Both of which are being heavily pushed now to begin with.

saying something out of place (inappropriate) in a combat situation, especially towards another officer that deserves your respect
you wouldn't make a cut down or a sexist remark at a woman who was on your team in a game of sports if you wanted that person to feel included and not, like, y'know, you're a closeminded arsehead
the games theme is cooperation and teamwork, something that is improved by having an attitude of well, cooperation and teamwork. there is a time for funny things, and i'm sure the game will have a place for stuff like that but in the middle of a combat situation (like in the trailer)
yeah, heh, no.

as for slipping on your button press, that's your fault, hardly the games. it could be a fault on the control scheme (which we know nothing about) but i seriously doubt
it

this is something that you don't go into with forewarning; the way you kill enemies (the way you act out various acts of brutality it looks like), tactical decisions, the way you treat your squad, cause them to change their opinions of you.

there are thousands of first person shooters where the player is given the role of a soldier that disobeys an order and is honored for it and rarely has to deal with the fallout of that decision. i don't think you "get" binary domain, because it's a game where your squad is made up of people that are "that" soldier that can choose who to kill or how to execute a plan, and you have to deal with the ramifications of how you, and your squad, behave.
this is something that i think the modern game market can really benefit from; a title that's willing to make the character deal with the ramifications of the way they act, not just in the story like dozens of lazily made RPG's focused on "alignment" systems but having to Really Actually deal with it in a gameplay situation.

i like the part where the player orders a character that, judging from their tone, obviously doesn't respect them as leader, to give him cover fire.
she responds "maybe later" leaving him on his own while she most likely does Her Own Thing
this makes the player respond to the story closer - the only reason this happened is because of them, not something that happened in a Sequence They Couldnt Control ™
things like that make me really look forward to this game, because it draws me in as a title that has a very close player - story relationship.
the trailer also talks a little bit about making squads of characters that cooperate in both attitude and tactics together, which really interests me because it no doubt offers a ton of different ways to approach different
areas of the game, depending on how well you've treated your squad or how you yourself like to plan through an area
binary domain looks like the first game in a long time where "squad based action game" is a meaningful descriptor, and not a misnomer for "play as a group of dudes at the same time action game"

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - tsr moderation staff - 02-03-2012

why isn't this a ghost in the shell game? seriously that would fit so perfectly with everything in this game. i would eat that shit up for breakfast

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - Gwen - 02-03-2012

(02-03-2012, 01:43 AM)AMAZON Wrote: why isn't this a ghost in the shell game? seriously that would fit so perfectly with everything in this game. i would eat that shit up for breakfast

Now all I see in my mind when I think of this game is Motoko. Huh, it's not all that bad really.

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - Proton - 02-03-2012

(02-03-2012, 01:26 AM)MRSKELETON Wrote: saying something out of place (inappropriate) in a combat situation,
My example was just saying "Yes!"
He just yells it.
He could just say it,
there's no fight.
Fay asks him a question calmly.
But Dan just yells.

That's really out of place for something with a serious tone in the game.

(02-03-2012, 01:26 AM)MRSKELETON Wrote: as for slipping on your button press, that's your fault, hardly the games. it could be a fault on the control scheme (which we know nothing about) but i seriously doubt
it
That's what I mean. It's going for action; if the action gets you, you'll probably slip unless you've burnt serious hours into the game like an MMO player does in their MMO - controls burnt into your memory with a brand.

(02-03-2012, 01:26 AM)MRSKELETON Wrote: i don't think you "get" binary domain, because it's a game where your squad is made up of people that are "that" soldier that can choose who to kill or how to execute a plan, and you have to deal with the ramifications of how you, and your squad, behave.

No, I do get it.
What I don't get it is why a trained soldier wouldn't do their job.
Again,
a sniper can't just say no to doing their job.
Like, they weren't even asked to kill the other sniper.
It's implied in the job.

And even then, this is the same game that's in every army/squad except glorified with a morality system.

At least in things like Rainbow Six, you can have buddies in real life are actually influenced by how they want to work in a team with you or their desire to succeed.
AI isn't that necessary to make this system perfect.

Real cause and effect.

(02-03-2012, 01:26 AM)MRSKELETON Wrote: this is something that i think the modern game market can really benefit from; a title that's willing to make the character deal with the ramifications of the way they act, not just in the story like dozens of lazily made RPG's focused on "alignment" systems but having to Really Actually deal with it in a gameplay situation.
There's no real new looking ways of playing the game, though.
It doesn't even look like the Squad is necessary to begin with.

Like Left 4 Dead special infected require another person to help you escape most of them (no boomer/spitter).

And even then, real people can be the actual influence in that case.

All Binary Domain has is flashy, but empty, AI.

I'm sure it'd be fun, too.

Squad game are always fun.

I just really don't see the morality system being that great in anything other than story.

The whole "tactics" and "team" part doesn't.

Relationship or not, a soldier has a job. It'd be more forgiving it was mercs instead.
The serious overtone isn't working if they act like spoiled children who want their own way, instead of what's best.

RE: Binary Domain a "Dramatic Action Game" From Sega - PrettyNier - 02-03-2012

proton>>>

if a squad member doesn't trust you, they're not going to trust in your capabilities to get the job done; this means, they're going to be more likely to try to deal with it in their own way - because they trust themselves more than you - rather than go by your plan. this doesn't mean vagrantly ignoring you or letting you die, although that may happen because of the circumstances, they're trying to get the job done in the best way they can. Would you continue to follow the orders of someone you knew was incompetent if you thought you could do the job better?

also, there is apparently a demo on the japanese PSN/XBL. someone i know played it and had a few things to say, and these are some of the things that stuck out to me the most.

Quote:- One thing they really nailed is the fact that, well, robots are made of durable stuff! And they don't experience pain! It takes a good amount of effort to take down even the lowliest grunt, since enemies don't stagger from shots unless they've lost a limb. Even if you blow off their legs, they'll keep firing, and they can get grabby if you're close. Blinded enemies without heads will keep running straight forward while firing.
this is fucking cool

Quote: - The controls are quite honestly, better than Gears of War's. Completely fluid, and I never saw any glitchy movement related to cover. I also like that you have to double tap A/X to roll: unlike Gears, you can go straight into a run without rolling.
this is promising.

Quote:- The voice recognition is perfect. We've come a long way from the days of Life Line on the PS2. You can adjust the background noise sensitivity level and test out the recognition in the options menu. You don't need a headset, but you can't use the subtler voice commands without it (i.e. "Gomennasai" after friendly fire to avoid a team morale drop).