The VG Resource
Videogames you love, videogames you hate thread - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Videogames you love, videogames you hate thread (/thread-17941.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: Videogames that you hate - Jalopes - 09-21-2011

everybody hates ff7 these days

it's kind of a shame, i don't know if they just ignore all the good stuff in it or if they make too big a deal out of the bad stuff, whatever it is i don't get it

i've played ff7 numerous times, and while i can agree on many things that are wrong with it, the good outweighs the bad in most instances and the majority of it is really well made

(also i don't really have a problem with any individual person not liking it, i just don't like the bad stigma it gets these days from everybody who says its terrible)

RE: Videogames that you hate - DioShiba - 09-21-2011

the trouble with ff7 is that it's over-rated and it doesn't really deserve the attention it gets.

oh yeah, lets make another few ff7 games and a few fucking movies that will show we care about our fans.

everything about ff7 that was released after ff7 is horrifying and should not exist

RE: Videogames that you hate - Vipershark - 09-21-2011

I agree that ff7 is overhyped and overrated but that in no way makes it a bad game.

Greatest of all time? Probably not.
Great? Of course.

RE: Videogames that you hate - Maxpphire - 09-21-2011

The game is still not that good of a game.

The Storyline couldn't make up it's mind.
The worst thing to happen is a dead flower girl.
It's not even that rememberable.
They don't really explain much to you.
Sephiroth and Jenova are piss poor villains in general.
Random battle every single fucking step.
Even N64 games had better graphics then it.
Sephiroth's final move is a giant lolwat in itself. (How many Jupiters do we have? Also good job for exploding all of the planets and not doing the most amount of damaged allowed in that game.)

Everything else about it was pretty mediocre. There was not a good thing about it that I can think of off the top of my head.

RE: Videogames that you hate - Gwen - 09-21-2011

(09-21-2011, 05:40 PM)Kat Wrote: The game is still not that good of a game.

The Storyline couldn't make up it's mind.
The worst thing to happen is a dead flower girl.
It's not even that rememberable.
They don't really explain much to you.
Sephiroth and Jenova are piss poor villains in general.
Random battle every single fucking step.
Even N64 games had better graphics then it.
Sephiroth's final move is a giant lolwat in itself. (How many Jupiters do we have? Also good job for exploding all of the planets and not doing the most amount of damaged allowed in that game.)

Everything else about it was pretty mediocre. There was not a good thing about it that I can think of off the top of my head.
Graphic's really shouldn't be a reason to call something a bad game, especially when its one of the first 3d games. :F
I haven't played this game yet so I can't really say anything else about it.

RE: Videogames that you hate - DioShiba - 09-21-2011

(09-21-2011, 05:40 PM)Kat Wrote: Even N64 games had better graphics then it.

Same could be said about the graphics of MGS1, Twisted Metal 1 and 2, Early Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games and many other games on the PS1 but no one complained then.

come on, even disliking the game for it's graphics on an early 3d console is silly, we should all know this by now.

RE: Videogames that you hate - Maxpphire - 09-21-2011

I Dunno, Spyro had pretty decent looking graphics and that wasn't only one reason I have for disliking it and not even the main reason.

(09-21-2011, 03:43 PM)Excalibro Wrote:
(09-20-2011, 04:00 PM)Kat Wrote: I don't even understand why they were exploding the reactors in the first place, I think it had something to do with the environment or something like that.

they explain this like 15 fucking minutes into the game

did you even try to enjoy it or did you play ff7 with the intention of hating it and being able to say "i played it once, it was shit"

No, I really just don't remember. I remember playing FF7 saying "this seems like a cool game" at the age of 12. Gets stuck and frusterated, sees if it is worth it, decides it's not after reading up about Sephiroth and the storyline that can't seem whether or not Sephiroth or Jenova is the villain.

In a Roleplaying game, a good and rememberable storyline is pretty necessary, after all is is a roleplaying game, the story needs to keep you entertained. It had a mediocre storyline and it wasn't rememberable at all.

RE: Videogames that you hate - PrettyNier - 09-21-2011

honestly, the anti-ff7 camp is just as bad as the fanbase. can't we just let ffvii exist as it is without all of these cultural connotations? who cares if sephiroths fanbase is obnoxious - who cares if it purportedly gets more attention than it deserves - who cares if it is or isn't the best rpg ever - at what point did we decide to let a game be defined by the community surrounding it, rather to define the game for ourselves?

yes, the game has a number of flaws; but honestly, most of these flaws could easily be fixed by an upgrade. the games two biggest offenders are things that serve to obfuscate the game and its intended goal: primarily, they are the god awful translation, and the fact that you can't always tell what can and cannot be traversed on the maps. as far as the mechanics are concerned: the mechanics in final fantasy VII are not bad; they're certainly no worse than FFVI or FFIX, anyway. to say that they're bad is to challenge the entire turn-based rpg genre (not that i'm saying this is some kind of sin, or something; go for it, if you want.)

despite the clumsiness of the fact that the map doesn't always convey what it ought to convey as well as it should, that is hardly the games worst offense (it certainly doesn't have the punch that lords of shadow does when it makes the same mistake (considering that lords of shadow is an ACTION game contingent upon platforming and jumping)). the games worst offense is its translation.

the poor translation is what allows for things like the following:
Quote: flower girl because she was some goddess descendant
to happen. i'll make fun of the translation later, however.

what i mean by this is, it serves only to obfuscate the storyline; and in doing so, not only are the details lost, but the themes become blurred and confused and hard to extract. the issue with ffvii's story is partly that it is hard to actually understand what happened.

ffvii is, simply put, one of the few (possibly only) final fantasy games to actually be about something on a thematic level. the short version of this would be "Learning to deal with the hand you've been given"; the long version would be "learning to accept the terms of your existence, and the things outside of your control, and learning to move on as a human being". we are created by the people that create us, and we are created by the things that have resulted in those events, and we cant change that.

hironobu sakaguchi's mother died a little bit before final fantasy 7 began production, and it was stated that he wanted to incorporate what he went through into his next project. in this, he conferred into the world, and the characters, something innate to be overcome, something that most of them have not overcome, or most of them are running from.

ultimately, the relationship is then embodied by cloud and sepiroth, both of whom try to go against that point. cloud, initially, denies it; he denies his failure to get into SOLDIER first class, he denies his own past, his own weakness and his own failures and even makes up something different. he tries to change it, initially, but then realizes his own mistake and comes to term with it. sephiroth goes insane, he goes mad, and tries to change it by force, never flinching. he cannot come to accept the terms of his existence, and this inability breeds rage and contempt.

jenova is the primary antagonistic force in so much as it is an enabler, but the thematic antagonist is absolutely sephiroth.

the game cements this feeling, and brings full circle hironobu sakaguchi's experience by killing a playable character, aeris, partway through the game with no means of bringing her back. those are the terms of the game and they also must be accepted.

making fun of the translation, and some of the general absurdness in The Game Actual:
[Image: PSOGL2_009.png]

[Image: PSOGL2_016.png]

[Image: PSOGL2_051.png]

[Image: PSOGL2_056.png]

[Image: PSOGL2_062.png]

[Image: PSOGL2_064.png]

[Image: PSOGL2_065.png]

[Image: PSOGL2_072.png]

[Image: PSOGL2_084.png]

all courtesy of Swimmy's FFVII Mega thread

I'd really like to play an FF7 with a better translation, but in order for that to happen there'd have to be either a fan translation or a remake, and considering how terrifying the prospect of the current Nomura-influenced Square Enix creating an FF7 remake is, I don't think I want that to happen.

he'd probably insist the characters look like this or something, ewwww

Quote:Even N64 games had better graphics then it.

in response to this, from what i gather ff7 was literally mindblowing graphically when it was released (though probably mostly because of the fmvs) - it's blocky, lego-like overworld characters are definitely outdated, but ignoring that the rest of the game looks pretty great - sure, the backgrounds are prerendered, but they are pretty damn detailed and impressive on their own

sephiroth's final move is pretty hilarious, but from what i understand the whole "blowing up the solar system" part of it was added in only for the north american release, so idk

In terms of how memorable FF7 is... well, it may not have been memorable to you, but idk, it's lasting popularity and impact pretty much proves the opposite on a general level.

RE: Videogames that you hate - TomGuycott - 09-21-2011

(09-21-2011, 09:33 PM)Jalopes Wrote: I'd really like to play an FF7 with a better translation, but in order for that to happen there'd have to be either a fan translation or a remake, and considering how terrifying the prospect of the current Nomura-influenced Square Enix creating an FF7 remake is, I don't think I want that to happen.

This is a legitimate concern, which is ironic considering he designed the characters for FF7 in the first place.

(09-21-2011, 09:48 PM)TomGuycott Wrote:
(09-21-2011, 09:33 PM)Jalopes Wrote: I'd really like to play an FF7 with a better translation, but in order for that to happen there'd have to be either a fan translation or a remake, and considering how terrifying the prospect of the current Nomura-influenced Square Enix creating an FF7 remake is, I don't think I want that to happen.

This is a legitimate concern, which is ironic considering he designed the characters for FF7 in the first place.

It's a shame, because I really like the character design in FF7. I don't know what happened, but now Nomura insists on making all of his designs look completely ridiculous.

RE: Videogames that you hate - Vipershark - 09-22-2011

I still have yet to finish FF7 (...or the first disc...) but my interpretation was that Sephiroth basically works for Jenova but he's so powerful that without him, Jenova is nothing.

So in a sense, he -is- Jenova... right?

RE: Videogames that you hate - Maxpphire - 09-22-2011

No, Jenova is his mother basically. He does things for Jenova in a sense like a child would do for it's own mother. He doesn't work for her, he cares for her, loves her, and gets angry if people insult her, protect her, if you will. It is more his obligation then his duty. Sephiroth is semi-interesting as a character concept, just what he did in game was dumb and he didn't go too much farther then emotionally abusing Cloud.

RE: Videogames that you hate - Lemonray - 09-22-2011

You know, I've often considered playing Final Fantasy 7 out of sheer curiosity.

I want to know why so many people hold it in such high regard.

Should I bother y/n??