The VG Resource
Videogames you love, videogames you hate thread - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Videogames you love, videogames you hate thread (/thread-17941.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: Videogames that you hate - PrettyNier - 09-19-2011

Quote:You still didn't give any reasons as why you dislike the game so much.
get jiggys so that you can get more jiggys
all jiggys are the same, varying difficulty and varying amount of effort only ever presents the same (meaningless) reward
it is like twilight princess in that the whole game feels like you're trying to get the big goron sword over and over and over again, except that in this case its actually worse than twilight princess.

find train turned over on its side. better turn it right-side up, right? well, next to the train, there it is; a mumbo pad. you have to bring mumbo here. thats how you do it. so just get mumbo, right? go to the other side of the level to find mumbo. he wants a glowbo before you can even use him. get a glowbo, which is usually in an insultingly stupid place. bring the glowbo to him. become mumbo. run all the way over to that mumbo pad and then do whatever that stupid context sensitive button does to bring the train right side up, and then run all the way back to the house to become banjo again. and then go all the way back to the train. for no actual reward: you get to fight a boss, and then use the train later, once you get to another world.

none of this is charming: its just a spewing of incessant bullshit, and much of the game is like this; now, this wouldn't be as much of a problem if the fundamental gameplay was more enjoyable and self-sufficient (it would still be a problem (just a smaller one)), but it isn't. the actual motions - the visceral act of jumping around, of attacking enemies, of maneuvering the world is absolutely contingent upon the world in which you're maneuvering and the tasks in which you are completing. and in this case, that completely and totally fails to live up to its half of the agreement.

i didn't initially give any reasons because it wasn't about me saying it was a bad game, it was about you justifying why it was a good game and your consistent failure to do so.

but, look at that; i've gone now. i believe its your turn, champ.

RE: Videogames that you hate - Boo - 09-19-2011

You talked about the most boring part of the game, using Mumbo to fix the train.. That was really something.

The fun parts were when you got to use Humba's transformations and get jiggies in that aspect. You talk about getting the jiggies as if its the most boring thing ever.. If you don't like collecting things while fighting bosses to get to the end of an adventure, then sure you aren't going to like this game. You have to collect something to get farther in an adventure game.. I thought exploring the worlds you were given to try to get all the jigsaws was pretty fun, meet some characters, maybe play a game to get a jiggy, or fight a cool designed boss to get a jiggy. Finding jinjos and cheato pages along the way just made it more interesting.

Accessing levels from other levels was a pretty cool concept too because you had to get jiggies at certain times.. like when you got different powers and such, so you'd have to come back later in the game. And the music was always good in those games, always had catchy tunes.

The little missions and places you had to go in the game were what made it fun I think.. Long lasting story, and good replay value, such as two player and boss battles. As I said before if you don't like collecting then obviously your gonna dislike this game. If you already dislike a game based of a certain aspect then you can't really rate this game.. Lol.

RE: Videogames that you hate - PrettyNier - 09-19-2011

If I didn't like collecting things I wouldn't have beaten Super Metroid or the myriad of post-SOTN Castlevania games one hundred percent. Hell, I wouldn't have bothered to get all of the stars in Super Mario 64. The issue isn't collection (hint: with my comment about it being a lesser problem if the game was fun to play, I was referring to SM64), the issue is the fact that collection grants little reward and the act of attempting to collect these things isn't in the least bit entertaining.

Quote:You talked about the most boring part of the game, using Mumbo to fix the train..
the basics of what i described are pretty much applicable every single time you find a mumbo pad. it being the most 'boring part of the game' doesn't mean anything when that same sequence of events occur every single time you come upon a mumbo pad.

what about the part where you return the dinosaur child to her mom, but fuck, she doesn't even give you a jiggy after you made all that effort to get him there, because she has two other children that need to be helped.

RE: Videogames that you hate - Shawn - 09-19-2011

(09-18-2011, 06:52 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: Really when they introduce Sephiroth it feels like it turns into a completely different game.. namely because it kind of does, you don't get access to the world map until you find out about him. I also feel the same way about FF8, it got boring and I just never finished it. I already know what happens at the end, so...

FF9, though, that stuff's the shit.
good post

ff7 and 9 are fantastic

8 is bloody awful. boring shit, no interesting or redeeming features imo. ive tried to play it, multiple times. farthest ive gotten is disc 3, then i gave up cuz its too damn boring

RE: Videogames that you hate - SKELTON S. SKELETON - 09-19-2011

let me tell you why ff8 is a good game; (yo, im going to do it later im tired) the only games i really hate are like
well
i really dislike a lot of genesis games

RE: Videogames that you hate - Maxpphire - 09-20-2011

(09-18-2011, 06:52 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: Really when they introduce Sephiroth it feels like it turns into a completely different game.. namely because it kind of does, you don't get access to the world map until you find out about him. I also feel the same way about FF8, it got boring and I just never finished it. I already know what happens at the end, so...

FF9, though, that stuff's the shit.

Really? Because Sephiroth is the most boring villian I've ever heard of existing really. This opinion I've gathered Is from reading up the multiple fansites and webpages that have to do with just him. (Because I wanted to see if it was worth continuing on in the game and decided not to because it just sounded worse. The worst that he did was kill a flower girl because she was some goddess descendant like every other FF main character in existence nowadays, yawn.)

I really liked FF6 and FF9. Kefka being best villain ever. (and Unless a villain outright wins against the heros in an utterly badass way, Kefka will stay for most badass villain.)

RE: Videogames that you hate - TomGuycott - 09-20-2011

Really Sephiroth is a lame villain in SOOO many respects. The game isn't really that bad, but every time Sephiroth was around I almost wished the party would just groan at the top of their lungs.

There is ONE awesome scene with him, though, although it's not REALLY in his favor, he's just involved with it, and that's the truth about what happened in the Make Reactor when Cloud confronted him. I think that's my favorite scene in the game.

RE: Videogames that you hate - Jalopes - 09-20-2011

The problem with Sephiroth is that his motivations are completely unclear and change throughout the course of the game for no reason. Also, aside from knowing a bit about his history (which is actually sort of interesting), you learn pretty much nothing about the character. The final confrontation with Cloud and Sephy might have been cooler had I actually known what the fuck I was fighting.

they either should've developed sephiroth better or made jenova a far larger focus, because within the context of the game, jenova's the REAL villain

also good everyone agrees ff9 (the best ff game) is good, this pleases me

RE: Videogames that you hate - Boo - 09-20-2011

(09-19-2011, 06:02 PM)Gnostic WetFart Wrote: If I didn't like collecting things I wouldn't have beaten Super Metroid or the myriad of post-SOTN Castlevania games one hundred percent. Hell, I wouldn't have bothered to get all of the stars in Super Mario 64. The issue isn't collection (hint: with my comment about it being a lesser problem if the game was fun to play, I was referring to SM64), the issue is the fact that collection grants little reward and the act of attempting to collect these things isn't in the least bit entertaining.

Quote:You talked about the most boring part of the game, using Mumbo to fix the train..
the basics of what i described are pretty much applicable every single time you find a mumbo pad. it being the most 'boring part of the game' doesn't mean anything when that same sequence of events occur every single time you come upon a mumbo pad.

what about the part where you return the dinosaur child to her mom, but fuck, she doesn't even give you a jiggy after you made all that effort to get him there, because she has two other children that need to be helped.

Yeah I guess, but when I played these games, I was a young tot. So I think those mindless running around things were still fun based off of the game world and characters around me that made me like it even if I was just running around back and forth to do something. Maybe in the mean time while I'm running around I would go back and collect something else huh? Maybe I'll go back to Spiral Mountain and save that goldfish, or maybe ill go back to a past level and get a jiggy with a new move I learned..

It didn't really matter to me the little running around things you had to do in that game because I always found something to finish along the way..

RE: Videogames that you hate - Maxpphire - 09-20-2011

(09-20-2011, 08:03 AM)TomGuycott Wrote: Really Sephiroth is a lame villain in SOOO many respects. The game isn't really that bad, but every time Sephiroth was around I almost wished the party would just groan at the top of their lungs.
(09-20-2011, 02:47 PM)Jalopes Wrote: they either should've developed sephiroth better or made jenova a far larger focus, because within the context of the game, jenova's the REAL villain

I'm sorry but if the game can't make up it's mind over what the conflict is, then, it's not that great of a game. After all, it should be clear on what the main character's priorities are and with this game, that isn't clear at all. It made it boring, like I don't even understand why they were exploding the reactors in the first place, I think it had something to do with the environment or something like that.

RE: Videogames that you hate - TomGuycott - 09-20-2011

Really it is kind of boring. It does have some interesting concepts, but in the end.. kind of meh in the story department. It was certainly an experience when it first came out if you lived through the game's release. There was lots of hype, EVERYONE talked about it at my school, even people who really didn't talk about video games before or after, but it does have its problems.

At least I finished it ONCE, which is much more I can say about FF8. I LITERALLY got to the last disc, started to fight the first boss that opens the disc, and I'm just like. "Eh.. you know what, I'm just gonna pretend Rinoa dies and everybody loses."

RE: Videogames that you hate - SKELTON S. SKELETON - 09-20-2011

ff8 is a good game because it's got a depth of story; not because there's "a lot going on" or it's really hard to comprehend, but because there's a lot of subtle character naunces that drive the plot forward.
this doesn't make up for it's excessively unrewarding and confusing gameplay; but FF8 is strong because it's an experimental nature. there's no RPG quite like it out on the PS1.
the combat and junctioning system makes people sacrifice the raw power of magic for making capable characters in a system where leveling up Is A Bad Thing it's basically "a thinking" rpg that requires the player to observe the whole nature of the game one part at a time, strategizing and planning.

on the whole subject of the story, i personally like it because it serves as almost a deconstruction of the final fantasy archetypes. squall is the stoic, emotionally walled protagonist because he's so disturbed and unnerved by having to handle situations he would never have been prepared for

RE: Videogames that you hate - Maxpphire - 09-21-2011

I personally liked FF9 better but I never really owned FF8 and only played it a little bit at a friends house.

RE: Videogames that you hate - Jalopes - 09-21-2011

(09-20-2011, 04:00 PM)Kat Wrote:
(09-20-2011, 08:03 AM)TomGuycott Wrote: Really Sephiroth is a lame villain in SOOO many respects. The game isn't really that bad, but every time Sephiroth was around I almost wished the party would just groan at the top of their lungs.
(09-20-2011, 02:47 PM)Jalopes Wrote: they either should've developed sephiroth better or made jenova a far larger focus, because within the context of the game, jenova's the REAL villain

I'm sorry but if the game can't make up it's mind over what the conflict is, then, it's not that great of a game. After all, it should be clear on what the main character's priorities are and with this game, that isn't clear at all. It made it boring, like I don't even understand why they were exploding the reactors in the first place, I think it had something to do with the environment or something like that.

well to be fair there's a lot more to the game than its story

and it's not like the story does EVERYTHING wrong, its still engaging and has entertaining characters

RE: Videogames that you hate - Shawn - 09-21-2011

(09-20-2011, 04:00 PM)Kat Wrote: I don't even understand why they were exploding the reactors in the first place, I think it had something to do with the environment or something like that.

they explain this like 15 fucking minutes into the game

did you even try to enjoy it or did you play ff7 with the intention of hating it and being able to say "i played it once, it was shit"