The VG Resource
the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: The Archives (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-66.html)
+---- Thread: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX (/thread-17886.html)

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Garamonde - 10-06-2012

(10-06-2012, 09:03 AM)greatspaceadventure Wrote: I've lost all interest in meat. I highly recommend being vegetarian. I feel super healthy and I cannot stress enough how easy (and humane!) of a life choice it is.

It's easy if you actually like most vegetables...
I honestly can't imagine not ever eating meat again (especially Italian sausage omg). I know it's not really good to feel that way and I would rather not eat animals too but there's also the factor of not even being able to afford fruits and vegetables (except for canned or frozen) most of the time because of prices always going up on everything and we just do anything we can to make the meals stretch further.
You can say it's an easy choice when you can actually afford stuff.

Also Phaze I despise onions too. It's literally my least favorite food in the world.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Kami - 10-06-2012

(10-06-2012, 09:03 AM)greatspaceadventure Wrote: I've been vegetarian for the past 6 months. I ate a meat sandwich on accident the other day and it made me horribly sick to my stomach.

I've lost all interest in meat. I highly recommend being vegetarian. I feel super healthy and I cannot stress enough how easy (and humane!) of a life choice it is.
You have to remember that our bodies are designed to be omnivores so it's not entirely healthy to go without animal protein for long periods of time.

~Thread Glitch(Plus I need to fix my quote fail.)

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Previous - 10-06-2012

(10-06-2012, 09:36 AM)Angel Plague Wrote: Yohave to remomber that our bodies are designed to be omnivores so it's not entirely healthy to go without animal protein.
I've met vegans who were perfectly fine. It's really not that much of an issue in most cases.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - puggsoy - 10-06-2012

I think I could be vegetarian if I wanted. I just don't want because I like meaty foods (most of my favourite dishes contain it), plus the fact that my dad/family would produce undesirable/uncomfortable remarks/complaints if I did happen to want to become vegetarian.

But in any case as Angel Plague said we are omnivores, eating meat is natural for humans, therefore I don't find it wrong or inhumane. Before we grew crops we barely ate anything but meat.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Previous - 10-06-2012

(10-06-2012, 10:31 AM)puggsoy Wrote: plus the fact that my dad/family would produce undesirable/uncomfortable remarks/complaints if I did happen to want to become vegetarian.
I've been through that. Surprise

(10-06-2012, 10:31 AM)puggsoy Wrote: But in any case as Angel Plague said we are omnivores, eating meat is natural for humans, therefore I don't find it wrong or inhumane.
That's ethical argumenting at its best.
May I introduce you to David Hume so he can tell you about the is-ought problem? Wink

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Kriven - 10-06-2012

*Likes the peer pressure to become a vegetarian going on in this thread... the same kind of peer pressure the vegetarians complained about enduring from their carnivorous families.*

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Sol - 10-06-2012

Yes clearly one person recommending a vegetarian diet and another saying it's possible to survive as a vegan is the same level of social pressure vegetarians have to deal with

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - PatientZero - 10-06-2012

'Sup, I eat meat and I don't have to justify that to anyone.
If you're reading this and you don't eat meat, hey, that's cool and you don't have to justify that to anyone.

Unusually though, I don't actually have an opinion on if you should or should not eat meat, both are perfectly valid choices and both have their pros and cons, despite what the propaganda on either side might say.
Bare in mind I'm not saying this out of ignorance, I've done my homework, I understand the medical aspects, the ethical aspects and even the socio-economic and environmental aspects, there are legitimate and logical arguments on both sides of the camp along with a lot of spin and misinformation.

The fact of the matter is that it's a choice, you can choose to eat meat or you can choose to not eat meat, both can be completely healthy and both can be completely unhealthy, everything in the middle is just style.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Garamonde - 10-06-2012

You probably can't get all the same nutrients from meat as you can vegetables (protein is the main thing that comes to mind), but that can be gotten from other sources usually.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Phaze - 10-06-2012

(10-06-2012, 09:31 AM)Previous Wrote: I don't understand the onion juice thing - you don't need it in vegetarian food, there's lots of things you can make without onion plus many people put onion to meat, too?
It's not specifically about Onions, that's just one example. One time I had my usual meat sub (don't ask) in Subway and the person accidentally put some salad on it and took it off again. Paid no heed to it and went to eat it. About a third of the way through the sub, the taste immediately filled my mouth. I almost wanted to just toss it in the bin. I only didn't because I was quite hungry. Left Subway as a non-happy camper. Gonna Puke

I absolutely cannot stand vegetables in any meaningfully nutritious form. I can stand products made with some stuff like onion extract (details elude me) or what-have-you, but those don't taste anything like their original form and are usually used in things like snack foods (hi Paprika Pringles).

I think I'm a supertaster or something, but a lot/all of of my senses seem to be rather heavily magnified, which can make things... difficult. People always, without fail tell me "oh you won't taste it!", "oh you're just being fussy!". No, I'm not. People have lied to me about what's in the food I eat and my tongue immediately tells the truth. I then get scolded for wasting food. No wonder I never eat anything with other people or eat anything I absolutely cannot verify the contents of (which usually disqualifies anything resembling a restaurant. I'll eat my plain bread roll just fine thanks).

I honestly wish I could eat 'proper' like everyone else. Everything I eat is prepared in specific/barebones ways so it won't intrude on my tongue. It's not common but sometimes textures of food can be an issue (a thankfully rare occurrence or I'd probably starve).

I hope that eventually there's some sort of food/substance that can deaden the bitter taste receptors in your mouth or even better, turn bitter to sweet. There is a berry that does similar for sour -> sweet but... I don't usually have a problem with sour stuff. It's always the bitter Blank

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Maxpphire - 10-06-2012

You shouldn't have too much of a problem at restaurants, just ask for an ingredients list for things, or if it helps, stick with one thing you know you like and just get it everywhere. Thats what I do with Chicken and French Fries, sometimes I replace the Chicken with Fish or the Fries with Mashed Potatoes, but I haven't had an issue with anything I've ordered tasting out of place, because I will ask about things before I order it if I'm at a new place.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Kami - 10-06-2012

So, I went and spent like $200 on manga and related things(80% of it was manga) and when I'm on my way home, I ende up having to stop by another bookstore since my cousin is picky about what she buys, and I come ot find out that I could have gotten most of what I bought for almost half price.

~Facepalm

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Goemar - 10-06-2012

Any probably cheaper still on Amazon.

Plus (because apparently we're on about food here now), yeah I eat meat. Though not too much (diet... and money). I don't care if people are vegans or vegetarians BUT you vegetarians who eat fish are NOT vegetarians - you are a pescetarian and yes, it really really annoys me.

Seriously, fish are meat.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Goemar - 10-06-2012

Pigs are pretty smart (equal to dogs). So I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it. (Side Note: I'd have nothing against eating a "free-range" dog).
Plus saying it's Okay to eat something because it's dumb can lead to a rather twisted outlook on life...

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Helmo - 10-06-2012

(10-06-2012, 08:02 PM)Goemar Wrote: Pigs are pretty smart (equal to dogs). So I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it. (Side Note: I'd have nothing against eating a "free-range" dog).
Plus saying it's Okay to eat something because it's dumb can lead to a rather twisted outlook on life...

pigs are OMNIVORES

and yes carnivores and omnivores are generally smarter because it takes more brain power to outwit other animals than it does plants

and besides you're missing the point

[Image: carnivore-support-group.jpg]

oh thread glitch

but my point was not its ok to eat fish because they're dumb but animals that eat meat are smarter like people who eat meat are smarter
(which was a joke)

but as far as ethics go nothing wants to become dinner not even plants, and any form of life will do everything in its power to stay alive

an animal feeling pain is just a way for it to avoid too much damage, no different from how a plant immediately starts to produce defense proteins and begin to heal itself and do whatever else it does like alert other plants, draw predators near to scare off the animal eating it etc.