The VG Resource
the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: The Archives (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-66.html)
+---- Thread: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX (/thread-17886.html)

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - PatientZero - 08-29-2012

Technically you would be right, the nerves that handle "pain" are exclusive to your less squishy parts, in reality any pain felt in the brain isn't actually that simple, often it's caused by an irregularity or malformation in the pain receptors, or to put it simply the bits of the brain that tell you it hurts are fibbing.
Oh, and also because our brains are sort of dumb, they can register emotional pain or psychological trauma as physical pain, when you're upset things really do hurt more, hooray!

It's actually not common for your brain to hurt like that, and if it is there's generally something severely wrong up in your thinker, more common is for things to hurt when there's nothing wrong with them, like having leg pain even though your leg is totally fine.
It gets even more complicated when you take into account differed pain, i.e you bang your knee and your arm starts to hurt, which is way more common than you might think and has a number of causes, actually it's taken as normal with dental pain strangely enough, the tooth that hurts might not be the one causing pain. I could write you a 200 word essay on differed pain, but that's not actually what you asked about.
Oh, and there's phantom limb pain too, where a missing limb can hurt, even though by its very nature there's literally nothing there to hurt.

So basically what I'm saying is that in reality any part of you can hurt for any number of reasons, including parts of you that aren't even there in the first place, and for reasons that don't make any sense at all.
Luckily, the most obvious and/or common cause is almost always the right one, so don't worry about it too much or you might give yourself a headache in your foot.

Oh look, it's that first post bug again.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Kami - 08-29-2012

I get sick when I take painkillers/painrelievers. so it's a lose/lose situation. I end up feeling worse after taking the painrealievers/painkillers. There's no point in taking them if I feel worse in the end.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Kriven - 08-29-2012

Damn, PatientZero, can I hire you to be my general practitioner? You seem to know more than he does.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Maxpphire - 08-29-2012

Oh, so I've had a kinda small but sharp pain that kinda appears occasionally on my lower left side kinda near my belly button thats existed since yesterday.

Now kinda worried that maybe I have something worse then stomach ulcers. Said hospital that I went to that diagnosed me is kinda known by a not so great reputation sometimes and I'm still waiting for that appointment date with the GI doctor to come.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - PatientZero - 08-29-2012

I suspect that I might be giving away the fact that I maybe kind of wanted to be a doctor.

(08-29-2012, 11:47 AM)Shadow Kami Wrote: I get sick when I take painkillers/painrelievers. so it's a lose/lose situation. I end up feeling worse after taking the painrealievers/painkillers. There's no point in taking them if I feel worse in the end.
If it's always the case that sounds almost like an allergic reaction, you would have mentioned if there was any swelling or hives afterwards so it can't be a serious reaction at least.
I hate having to ask questions like this, but have you tried different kinds of pain relief? specifically paracetamol and ibuprofen, in theory if you react to one you shouldn't react to the other.
In rare cases you can get a broad enough allergic reaction to cover almost all painkillers, but since it's so mild if you do react to both it's much more likely that there's another cause.

(08-29-2012, 01:15 PM)Kat Wrote: Oh, so I've had a kinda small but sharp pain that kinda appears occasionally on my lower left side kinda near my belly button thats existed since yesterday.

Now kinda worried that maybe I have something worse then stomach ulcers. Said hospital that I went to that diagnosed me is kinda known by a not so great reputation sometimes and I'm still waiting for that appointment date with the GI doctor to come.

Hmm, interesting location, I'm assuming that it's a muscular pain rather than "stomach" pain? that's a tricky one to word, I mean does it feel more like a bruise or a cramp rather than feeling sick or some other internal discomfort?

To put your mind at ease a bit, stomach ulcers are pretty easy to diagnose and to treat, I'd be very surprised if a registered hospital anywhere in the world could misdiagnose them under regular circumstances.
(And by regular I mean I'm assuming you haven't had any previous major bowel surgery, gunshot or shrapnel trauma or any kind of serious bacterial infection in your digestive tract, and that the doctor wasn't drunk, asleep or on fire at the time.)

Going by the most simple cause it's probably just a pulled muscle or possibly a trapped nerve, those go away by themselves, but funnily enough a good way to relieve it is, again, with a nice long bath.
As long as the pain isn't crippling or lasts more than a couple of days there's zero reason to be worried about it, the stress is probably worse for you than anything else.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - puggsoy - 08-29-2012

Been trying to make my program work properly but it just won't. I've looked my code over a million times and traced everything but for some reason a specific function keeps returning a value that it shouldn't.

I mean I don't mind debugging legitimately faulty code, if there's a typo or some obvious thing I did wrong sometimes it's even fun. But seriously this is just ridiculous. If it is my fault then I'll probably laugh at my stupidity afterwards, but right now I can't find a single crack and it's just really grinding my gears.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Kriven - 08-29-2012

I hate getting into the swing of things after being sick x.x;

(it was ammonia poisoning, by the way.)

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Garamonde - 08-29-2012

Ask Dr. PatientZero. This should be an actual thread in the Real Life forum so that everyone can address their health concerns.

But in seriousness, I may as well ask about this if I haven't already while we're on the subject. Note that this hasn't occurred anymore in a little more than half a year but I'd still like to know what caused it.

When I was younger, I used to occasionally wake up in the middle of the night, shivering uncontrollably. Note that a lot of the time I was covered with a blanket and I wasn't cold at the time. It was only my insides shaking, not my outside. I would just lay there, trying to stay as still as possible and stop shaking, but if wasn't able to do that after some time then I would have to get up and run to the bathroom to throw up. I felt perfectly fine the night before/when I went to bed, and I never ate anything that made my stomach react the wrong way, so I'm sure it has to do with my stomach getting too shook up and all that. I really want to know what caused this since it doesn't sound like it's happened to anyone else.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Kami - 08-29-2012

That happened to me once when I was about 8, minus the vomitting part anyway.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - soulcaliburfan - 08-29-2012

So now my university is trying to completely screw me over and limit me to only 3 CREDIT HOURS! With the new system on how they keep track of gpas, my transfer after one semester of ducking out of my old university put me slightly under the gpa requirement, so they are limiting me to one class a semester despite the fact that my grant should cover my tuition and the excess classes. I am going to go in there tomorrow and give them a piece of my mind. If things don't work out, I will have to transfer or stay at this one for a completely unnecessary 2 more years of classes...

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Marth - 08-29-2012

I have no idea what the hell my English professor wants for tomorrow. Fuck it I'm just jumping in with the work did even if I did half ass the last assignment. If I get all B's I'm happy that's all I need to transfer out of this hell hole college and into the one I want to go to.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - PatientZero - 08-30-2012

I don't know if giving out my "expertise" really warrants a separate thread, I can't deny that I know more than most people do when it comes to medical issues, but at the end of the day if you're really worried about something you should go and see a proper doctor.
I'm happy to give advice and information to help people, but I can't examine or treat anything online, and I can't in good conscience give a full diagnosis over the internet.

(08-29-2012, 07:27 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: Ask Dr. PatientZero. This should be an actual thread in the Real Life forum so that everyone can address their health concerns.

But in seriousness, I may as well ask about this if I haven't already while we're on the subject. Note that this hasn't occurred anymore in a little more than half a year but I'd still like to know what caused it.

When I was younger, I used to occasionally wake up in the middle of the night, shivering uncontrollably. Note that a lot of the time I was covered with a blanket and I wasn't cold at the time. It was only my insides shaking, not my outside. I would just lay there, trying to stay as still as possible and stop shaking, but if wasn't able to do that after some time then I would have to get up and run to the bathroom to throw up. I felt perfectly fine the night before/when I went to bed, and I never ate anything that made my stomach react the wrong way, so I'm sure it has to do with my stomach getting too shook up and all that. I really want to know what caused this since it doesn't sound like it's happened to anyone else.

There could be a few causes for those kind of symptoms, mostly I'd be inclined to say either cold or flu but if it was long-term in particular it sounds like it could be a general anxiety disorder (sadly these days it's more and more common) basically being worried or stressed about something that's presenting as physical symptoms.
The fact that it happened while you were sleeping points towards it too, during sleep your subconscious basically takes over and you haven't got much control over it, so things that you may not even consciously think about can come to the surface.

Calling it a disorder is slightly counter-intuitive, under enough stress or pressure everyone has a physical reaction, I can't tell you how many times I've seen people get the shakes and vomiting before going on stage for example.
There are some other, possibly more serious causes it could be linked to, ulcers, infections, a problem in the areas of your brain that control body temperature (the hypothalamus), a weak stomach valve (which can also cause acid-reflux or heartburn), or even just an unfortunate tendency towards fevers in general.

Really though you have almost less than nothing to worry about, since it only happened when you were younger you can safely chalk it up to being a childhood problem that's fixed itself over time, these sorts of things really do sort themselves out as you get older.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Previous - 08-30-2012

(08-29-2012, 04:55 PM)puggsoy Wrote: Been trying to make my program work properly but it just won't. I've looked my code over a million times and traced everything but for some reason a specific function keeps returning a value that it shouldn't.

I mean I don't mind debugging legitimately faulty code, if there's a typo or some obvious thing I did wrong sometimes it's even fun. But seriously this is just ridiculous. If it is my fault then I'll probably laugh at my stupidity afterwards, but right now I can't find a single crack and it's just really grinding my gears.
Ooooh yes. Best of them all.
Recently, I had some perfectly fine code that didn't work because one of the variables took larger values then the array I was indexing with it held (which I just did not expect but you never know what you get when reading strange data formats).
Sometimes it helps to let it rest for a day or two and then look at it again or to show it to someone else.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - puggsoy - 08-30-2012

I'm always afraid that if I let it rest it'll be one of those impending things that I never want to get around to because I know I'll just sit staring at the screen when I do.

However normally when I get in these sort of pickles, it's just before I go to bed, so when I brush my teeth and such I try and think of alternative methods. Last night I came up with a way that should work, so I'll see how it goes.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Kami - 08-30-2012

Good god, I just found out I was givin three language classes(Not including english).
Fuck. Know I'm stuck learning Spanish, French, and Japanese added to my english classes.
I honestly would say this is almost as bad as being kidnapped by viper.