The VG Resource
the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: The Archives (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-66.html)
+---- Thread: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX (/thread-17886.html)

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Previous - 06-13-2012

Well my text comprehension center always stumbles when it comes across such thingies so I have to agree with Dazz. Not that it would really bother me, but it does stop me in the flow of reading, I can't ignore it as easily as scarmlbed wrods.
People from the chats might notice me typing weirdly a lot / all the time, though. I'm not paying as much attention there as I do in forum posts (not that I wouldn't ever make mistakes here, heh).
A little sidenote, 'You' should be capitalized, not 'i' ;-)

My phone has some issues with its battery so I'll have to contact support tomorrow and hope they can arrange the repair soon. Beats me how the first phone I ever bought has to be faulty. I thought I'd be on the safe side with HTC.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Tellis - 06-13-2012

(06-13-2012, 01:42 PM)Mutsukki Wrote: That's...a very common thing on the internet, I tend to do this when I want to type faster. It's not even worth getting irritated over, you can understand the person anyway, it's not like incomprehensible internet slangs or something like that.
Yeah, I'm gonna side with Mutsukki on this one. I hardly see how capitalization really helps comprehension that much. The real danger is more like lack of punctuation or over-use of acronyms or weird abbreviations like "u" instead of "you or uh... just a general ignorance of proper spelling.

Though uh, yeah, people not capitalizing "i" bugs me still. But eh, it's not a big deal.

Edit: I'll concede that it may be a problem but it's hardly the worst offense one can make in terms of internet language, and I certainly don't think it's worth getting angry over...

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Garamonde - 06-13-2012

Well, people are gonna type how they want, and I guess despite whether or not you like it you still pretty much get the point so I guess it doesn't do much good saying anything about it.
I do agree with him on capitalization being a personal preference though, especially since I'm one of those perfectionist people, hence why you never ever see me not capitalizing or punctuating something properly (yeah I know, that's generally not typical of 16 year olds) unless I'm doing it entirely on purpose for the sake of joking or whatever.
TLDR: I don't actually care how people type as long as they can spell decently enough because that's just how it goes, they're going to type how they want to at the time so in reality you really can't change that even if it bothers you.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Dazz - 06-13-2012

I think it wittles down to the acceptance of poor English. I'm cool with rush typing to people you know in private, but even then there should be a minor volume of effort in punctuation at least.

But these days even professional journos can type in whatever fashion they please and still be considered good at their job. Some schools are accepting txt spk in English classes... It fucking irks the shit out of me.

I'm not going to march the streets, but it still pisses me off. Just as much as stinky farts, late fees on library books and pretty much anything else I post about in this topic.
I don't get furious about anything really, unless it really matters.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Previous - 06-13-2012

Well I think noone said it was a huge problem, it's just kinda weird when you see it all the time while trying to type properly yourself. It does invoke a feeling of disrespect, I'd say. But I'm not a psychologist. Anyways, let's talk about how random has a 'n'. Genki ^_^

Know what bothers me at the time: Adobe. Adobe and their Flash Player. Got an update recently and is all wonky now, video boxes miss parts after scrolling and my computer bluescreen'd twice most likely due to the thing. Don't they have QA?

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Garamonde - 06-13-2012

(06-13-2012, 04:32 PM)Previous Wrote: Know what bothers me at the time: Adobe. Adobe and their Flash Player. Got an update recently and is all wonky now, video boxes miss parts after scrolling

Oh my gosh, I was having that too! I didn't know what was causing it, but didn't think it was really anything. Is there any way to downgrade it? Blank

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Devicho - 06-13-2012

I kind of feel like I'm getting screwed over all the time, more than I can honestly handle. We moved into the apartment long before I could fix my bike or plan out the best route to get to work, and in the haste of trying to get a bunch of things over I forgot my work uniform, so I have to rush and get that, then make sure I get going really early and hope I can catch a bus that's going where I need it to.

And then people are urging me to just find a new job, except this job actually treats me like a human being, and I've already been working on getting raises...

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Marth - 06-14-2012

Make a post on facebook stating that it's a shame teachers lost their jobs, but it's just business nothing personal annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it starts a total shit storm.

Time to leave facebook for a little bit.
EDIT: Might aswell throw my phone away too, since it's just buzzing up a storm from angry texts.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Gwen - 06-14-2012

I saw that, sorry man, I agree with you too :C

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Cshad - 06-14-2012

[12:27:07 AM] Gabe: my manager made my other manager cry
[12:27:12 AM] Gabe: aka Tyler made Crystal cry
[12:27:29 AM] Gabe: see what had happened was that Tyler asked me to fill out his manager review sheet
[12:27:44 AM] Gabe: and to give an honest review based on how I felt he did as a manager
[12:28:09 AM] Gabe: I gave him a 13/15 (generously) and told him that he does his job well but needs to work on accountability and communication with the people he works with
[12:28:14 AM] Gabe: I told him he doesn't communicate well with us
[12:29:01 AM] Gabe: I told him there was a huge difference between dicking around and being buddy buddy with us and actually being able to sit down and talk with us
[12:29:30 AM] Gabe: I brought up his recent problems with Crystal as an example and told him that if he really has issues with the way Crystal has been interacting with him lately that he would sit down and talk to her about it
[12:30:13 AM] Gabe: well he basically blew me off and told me that he knows how to communicate with us and that he and Crystal still loved each other (not really) and that Crystal and him had absolutely no problem with each other which was a lie
[12:30:44 AM] Gabe: the discussion began to degenerate when I told him as such and told him that the way he talks to us tells us that he would rather treat him with a No Sir, Yes Sir attitude than actually
[12:30:45 AM] Gabe: you know
[12:30:47 AM] Gabe: be friends with him
[12:30:56 AM] Gabe: like he tells us he wants, but acts differently towards
[12:31:08 AM] Gabe: from there on Tyler and Crystal began to bicker back forth

Tyler basically started telling her she can't do her job and that she can't handle her job because he can do everything she does in the morning without help whatsoever but Crystal straight up said she hasn't been a manager as long as he has an needs help in the morning to deal with everything
[12:36:21 AM] Gabe: After that it became Tyler running around telling everyone they're lazy and never do any work whatsoever and Crystal stood up for all of us telling him we bust our asses all the damn time
[12:36:27 AM] Gabe: then he made her cry ):
[12:36:32 AM] Gabe: then we all started jumping on him and he left
[12:37:35 AM] Vipershark: what the heck
[12:37:49 AM] Gabe: my manager is a dick
[12:37:54 AM] Gabe: I couldn't believe he did that

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Koopaul - 06-14-2012

(06-13-2012, 10:13 PM)Devicho Wrote: I kind of feel like I'm getting screwed over all the time, more than I can honestly handle. We moved into the apartment long before I could fix my bike or plan out the best route to get to work, and in the haste of trying to get a bunch of things over I forgot my work uniform, so I have to rush and get that, then make sure I get going really early and hope I can catch a bus that's going where I need it to.

And then people are urging me to just find a new job, except this job actually treats me like a human being, and I've already been working on getting raises...

That sucks, I remember being in a situation where I was urged to find a new job. You know what happened? I got the job for a short time and then got laid off. Now I don't have any job.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Dazz - 06-14-2012

(06-14-2012, 01:20 AM)Cshad Wrote: [Wall of text]
Dude, that sounds like every day at my old job.

So glad I quit. Never been happier.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Previous - 06-14-2012

(06-13-2012, 06:30 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: Oh my gosh, I was having that too! I didn't know what was causing it, but didn't think it was really anything. Is there any way to downgrade it? Blank
Sadly, I don't think so. It does, however, be a problem with Firefox-Flash interaction, as Opera scolls just fine - Chrome, too. It might actually be a problem with the Firefox flash plugin or the was Firefox handles these things, it's hard to tell.

Oooookaydokey, I think I found the worm. Go to Firefox "Options" -> "Advanced". "General" tab, "Browsing" section. Uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available". That might help the scrolling issue. Some video cards really don't like that feature. Thought of that because Photoshops went all crazy with ativated hardware acceleration, too.
I'm still not sure about my bluescreens, though! Memory dump never works!

Talking about jobs, at my old job (production line, interior lights for GM/Opel cars) people were trying to get each other kicked out and at some point someone even sabotaged parts (after QA) of others with quite serious scraches or missing lightbulbs and all that (which was stupid because everyone immediately knew that it was no mistake at QA, but sabotage). I'm glad I only worked there until I could go to university, but I felt sorry for my coworkers who just wanted to have a job to make a living and couldn't get something better.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Devicho - 06-15-2012

Jesus goddamn fuck Comcast. Why in the world did my mom decide to go with them?
Right now it's hella keen on hijacking me away from pages to give me a captive domain 403 error, but only on this laptop, not the family computer.

RE: the poop happens world we live in thread 2XXX - Gwen - 06-15-2012

The local cable provider my family chose only fucks with my laptop, but none of my family's other laptops. I KNOW YOUR PAIN. I can't watch videos on youtube, can't access Soundcloud, and have to reload 10+ times just to see images usually.