The VG Resource
Organizing TUGS - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Spriting and Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-14.html)
+----- Thread: Organizing TUGS (/thread-17551.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Organizing TUGS - triptych - 06-23-2011

it eliminates the entire reason people want to watch a competition in the first place, in the first round

half of the experts are gone

RE: Organizing TUGS - LeleleleMAXIMUM - 06-23-2011

my post disappeared?

anyway, short version:
let's take Neorice. we know he CAN be expert level.
but it only matters if he DOES. if he doesn't make expert, tough luck.

It's called The Ultimate Greatest Spriter for a reason.

the old way imo is fine

RE: Organizing TUGS - Frario - 06-23-2011

I was checking Pixeljoint as usual, and saw a post: 'Tugs'
...resulting in getting a tad confused after 18 pages.
Reading 1up's rebuttal about the classifications is pretty reasonable and logical, though. It's basic 'learn from history'.

@Shane, ilu

RE: Organizing TUGS - Shawn - 06-23-2011

(06-23-2011, 02:08 PM)Savant Guard Wrote: my post disappeared?

anyway, short version:
let's take Neorice. we know he CAN be expert level.
but it only matters if he DOES. if he doesn't make expert, tough luck.

It's called The Ultimate Greatest Spriter for a reason.

the old way imo is fine

i dont understand the bulk of this post at all...

RE: Organizing TUGS - Chris2Balls [:B] - 06-23-2011

(06-23-2011, 06:16 PM)Frario Wrote: I was checking Pixeljoint as usual, and saw a post: 'Tugs'
...resulting in getting a tad confused after 18 pages.
Reading 1up's rebuttal about the classifications is pretty reasonable and logical, though. It's basic 'learn from history'.

@Shane, ilu

are you joining us this year, dawg

RE: Organizing TUGS - GrooveMan.exe - 06-23-2011

(06-23-2011, 01:59 PM)another coyote not that one Wrote: it eliminates the entire reason people want to watch a competition in the first place, in the first round

Which is why I'm saying skill tiers, but with a score total system rather than elimination would solve both problems of 'fair fights', and not eliminating 'expert favourites' too early.

RE: Organizing TUGS - Frario - 06-23-2011

Gah je savais que quelqu'un allait me le demander Tongue Well I saw it coming.
To be honest, I don't really know how this will turn out. I see it as a good way to get back into art again.
It's not the 30th yet, so i'll see how "TUGS8" will prepare itself.

RE: Organizing TUGS - tsr moderation staff - 06-23-2011

Groove's idea is definitely seeming like the best option imo. the only real problem is it sort of kills the competitive aspect a bit, but it seems to solve all the other issues that have come up.

RE: Organizing TUGS - Zac - 06-23-2011

(06-23-2011, 01:59 PM)another coyote not that one Wrote: it eliminates the entire reason people want to watch a competition in the first place, in the first round

the world doesn't revolve around the "experts"
how about we just keep it the same so that everyone has a chance to make it past the first round
besides when the expert ends up facing a rookie your not going to get a good entry from them because they know they'll win either way
also we should get started on the placement challenge soon

RE: Organizing TUGS - Ever - 06-24-2011

I said keep the tier and keep the score system, this way we all get what we want. So no one have to leave, and we get to pair up with people within our level.

If I understand GrooveMan.exe score method correctly, if there are 6 people for expert round, each judge have to rate all 6 people from which one is the best(which is 6 point) to the one did the poorest(which will be 1). So we add up all judges point within that tier and who ever got the highest score will be pair against the 2nd highest. Then we don't have to elimilate anyone, and continue yet rank people base on their skill.

This will also let us to see more epic battle, rather than expert against beginner; which I think is a insult to the expert people when that beginner can only do doodle level sprite and expert have to do a well polish just to keep their fame.

RE: Organizing TUGS - Cobalt Blue - 06-24-2011

i can beat elk, just give me an hour and a good dose of ether.

RE: Organizing TUGS - GrooveMan.exe - 06-24-2011

(06-24-2011, 12:39 AM)Ever Wrote: I said keep the tier and keep the score system, this way we all get what we want. So no one have to leave, and we get to pair up with people within our level.

If I understand GrooveMan.exe score method correctly, if there are 6 people for expert round, each judge have to rate all 6 people from which one is the best(which is 6 point) to the one did the poorest(which will be 1). So we add up all judges point within that tier and who ever got the highest score will be pair against the 2nd highest. Then we don't have to elimilate anyone, and continue yet rank people base on their skill.

This will also let us to see more epic battle, rather than expert against beginner; which I think is a insult to the expert people when that beginner can only do doodle level sprite and expert have to do a well polish just to keep their fame.

More or less this, yeah. I was initially thinking more of like, Diving or Gymnastics judges rating a performers out of 10, and all the votes being tallied up, but has a wider scope for ties, and an individual being rated against everyone, rather than the bracket (i.e. Experts getting all 10s by default, Beginners getting very low scores as compared to experts). So Mario Kart rules will do just fine. And that's competitive as all hell! :V

So yeah, let's get this prelim started already~

RE: Organizing TUGS - Previous - 06-24-2011

I'd say everyone wins by default
no discrimination issues or whatever that way AND we're bound to finish TUGS this time.

RE: Organizing TUGS - LeleleleMAXIMUM - 06-24-2011

(06-23-2011, 06:18 PM)when i have sex i think of tsr Wrote: i dont understand the bulk of this post at all...

it was just in reply to "what if someone in beginner could possibly beat someone in expert."
if that person can, then he will. no what if's or could have's in a competition.

RE: Organizing TUGS - KittenMaster - 06-24-2011

I don't really believe a tournament should be fair for everyone because that is far less interesting and diminishes the competitive aspect, but I can now see how the old system allows sandbagging to allow experts to get into beginner.