The VG Resource
Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: The Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-85.html)
+----- Forum: The Spriters Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-5.html)
+------ Forum: Ripping Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-33.html)
+------ Thread: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games (/thread-16920.html)

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - A.J. Nitro - 05-10-2011

Sometimes you just gotta play around with the game a bit and see what poses you'll find. It does take a bit of patience though, but that's just me. Just rip what you find. If you find more poses later on, you can always update the sheet.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Solink - 05-10-2011

It's been a while but I finished another sheet :]
Jin from the Tekken mobile game! I was actually surprised by the quality of the sprites even if they're made from multiple parts. Speaking of those should I submit a parts sheets like Barubary did for Pokemon Black/White?
[Image: tekken_i.png]
[Image: jin_i.png]

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Garamonde - 05-10-2011

Holy crud, Solink! I missed you! Wow whatta comeback!

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Ton - 05-11-2011

Piece sheets would be cool. If you have the time and don't mind, go for it. Tongue

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Garamonde - 05-11-2011

Um, I have two more questions... in this game there are jumping sprites that go off-screen no matter what... I can't do tiles and if I try to rip it it'll be cut off... or should I ignore them?

Also what would I do when I came to the grabbing/being grabbed sprites? The opponents gonna be covering me and I didn't know if you could remove single sprites or not.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Solink - 05-11-2011

(05-11-2011, 01:32 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: Um, I have two more questions... in this game there are jumping sprites that go off-screen no matter what... I can't do tiles and if I try to rip it it'll be cut off... or should I ignore them?

Also what would I do when I came to the grabbing/being grabbed sprites? The opponents gonna be covering me and I didn't know if you could remove single sprites or not.
You're ripping from the GBA Street Fighter II right?
Then use the OAM Viewer in VisualBoy Advance. You will have to put the tiles together but all the sprites on the screen will be in it.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Garamonde - 05-11-2011

Hmm, well that's a lot of tiles but I'll try it, thx. Smile

And yes it's SSFII Turbo - Revival that hardly had any sheets. A kind of funny thing happened recently, I had started ripping Chun Li only to find she was done already. Tongue

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Yawackhary - 05-13-2011

Added:
Time Killers (Genesis)

[Image: UWj7B.png][Image: ssuiE.png][Image: 4Dihz.png][Image: hxfsl.png][Image: wphpK.png][Image: LghU8.png][Image: 7hISk.png][Image: uzBb2.png]

[Image: 46zml.png]

What do you get when you mix Mortal Kombat with World Heroes and put the remains in the sewer? A game that is so bad that it's broken, literally. Everything about it is bad, the graphics, the sound (that makes random noises during the game) and the gameplay. I don't think the arcade version is this bad though.

I had to fix Mantazz's, Matrix's and Orion's stages due to that they suffer from a palette bug triggered in them stages and messes up the black taking longer than usual to rip.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Garamonde - 05-13-2011

I just realized, I was naming my backgrounds by location, however I found that some locations such as Thailand are used for two characters (or maybe even more), but the stages are different for each... I know I should've just named them after the characters but I'm not sure if I should change them or not. I don't want to seem annoying and make Ton update those 4 icons, but I think it'd be better... but then I'd have to re-update every sheet too! Very Sad

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Yawackhary - 05-13-2011

(05-13-2011, 02:37 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: I just realized, I was naming my backgrounds by location, however I found that some locations such as Thailand are used for two characters (or maybe even more), but the stages are different for each... I know I should've just named them after the characters but I'm not sure if I should change them or not. I don't want to seem annoying and make Ton update those 4 icons, but I think it'd be better... but then I'd have to re-update every sheet too! Very Sad

I'm guessing that it is Sagat and M. Bison since they are both in Thailand. The other ones are Balrog, Guile and Ken (USA), E.Honda and Ryu (Japan).

There are two ways that I can see through this, you could either change the icons (at least you have a good reason to change it due to not realising that a character can share a location and it is okay, it is highly understandable) which is perfectly okay or have it like the first stage to have a character early in the game and have the second stage to be later in the game if you don't feel like updating the sheets e.g. Sagat = Thailand 1 and M. Bison = Thailand 2.

There is a tip that can help updating the icons without remaking them all over again. All you have to do is copy the icon and paste it into the IconMaker, Clear the text, put the new text and resave it. I had to do the opposite of this quite a bit if the text doesn't fit into the section tag with the tool. It is up to you which one you feel is right for you.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Garamonde - 05-13-2011

Yes that's correct. Simply because on one of my sheets it says U.S.A. Arena, and I didn't want to edit it to say so and so's Stage and stuff. I think I'll just edit the icons, because yeah I honestly didn't know about that. When I do a fighter location that is the same as another I'll just title it "*Location* 2". Thanks I was stuck on that.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Magma MK-II - 05-14-2011

More strikers from KoF2000:

[Image: kof2000anotherrobertico.png][Image: kof2000baedalicon.png][Image: kof2000classickensouico.png][Image: kof2000goddessathenaico.png][Image: kof2000kinglionicon.png][Image: kof2000lillyicon.png][Image: kof2000nakoruruicon.png][Image: kof2000unknownicon.png]

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Random Talking Bush - 05-14-2011

Progress update. The Tron Bonne sprite sheet that I'm working on is taking me longer than it should to rip 'em all, but here's what I've got of it now. Had to upload the image to ImageShack because it's too big for Photobucket. (1.88MB), but all I basically need are the Servbot's sprites, and I'm done.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Garamonde - 05-14-2011

Ohmi... how do you DO that?! Surprise

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Random Talking Bush - 05-14-2011

(05-14-2011, 04:33 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: Ohmi... how do you DO that?! Surprise
A combination of the following programs:

- MakaronEX (Dreamcast emulation)
- Cheat Engine (cheating in the game to force the sprites to be their proper aspect ratio instead of the strange one that MvC2 uses)
- SnagIt (Print Screen button = instantly saved PNG file -- much more convenient that AnimGet for this occasion)
- NullDC (Another Dreamcast emulator, used for memory dumps)
- ProcessMemoryDumper (dumping the game's memory)
- TiledGGD (ripping the "Misc." images from the game's memory dumps, and also the palettes)
- Paint Shop Pro (arranging the sheet and cleaning the backgrounds out from the sprites)

A whole lotta work, basically, and also probably the most programs I've ever used at one time to rip sprites from a game. Tongue