The VG Resource
Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: The Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-85.html)
+----- Forum: The Spriters Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-5.html)
+------ Forum: Ripping Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-33.html)
+------ Thread: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games (/thread-16920.html)

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Maxim - 04-17-2011

(04-17-2011, 01:40 AM)Glisp Wrote: Thank you so much for ripping these man. You made my ripping project so much easier! You see, I have a fangame planned for Eternal Champions. It's supposed to be intended to be what the cancelled third game on the Sega Saturn would have been like. I have the Executive Producer and Designer of the EC games as a consultant for this project and I thank you for contributing these. I will give you credit for these as you have been a big help.
Thank you for your appreciation, you are actually the first to comment on this sheet since i put it up here Wink. I'm glad i could help you out with your ambitious project. You are even in contact with some of the original developers? Quite impressive. But wasn't the third EC Game supposed to become a 3D-Game in the fashion of Virtua Fighter?

Quote:Edit: Just noticed you're missing the voodoo dolls for the secret characters. I have them all unlocked so I can get those for you if you don't care.
Edit 2: Already finished screen capture. Just need to put them onto a sheet and upload them and I'll be done here.
If you can send me your captured sprites, i will update the Raven sheet and upload it again. Yeah, i didn't have the time to unlock all the secret characters.

Quote:I was actually taking a break from ripping but I have a partial spritesheet for Riptide I started on and a partial spritesheet of Xavier my friend MysticPyroFreak handed me to finish.

If you want to help contribute to either of these sheets please do, I'll add the sprites you ripped in addition to the ones already on them and give you credit for them as well.

And once again, thank you so much.
Sorry, but as much as i would like to help you on that, i am currently busy ripping from Clayfighter. Besides that, i took a break from Eternal Champions. You see, in the end, it became a real chore to finish the sheet, like using different emulators, adjusting palettes, comparing screenshots and so on. Right now i'm not sure if i will rip another Fighter from that Game, but i have three work-in-progress sheets of the stages (Syrian Desert, Shengo Village and Belgrave Square Labs). I hope, i can finish them anytime soon.

Also thanks a lot for these great Sega tools; you seem to know a lot about Genesis ripping.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Glisp - 04-17-2011

Quote:Thank you for your appreciation, you are actually the first to comment on this sheet since i put it up here Wink. I'm glad i could help you out with your ambitious project. You are even in contact with some of the original developers? Quite impressive. But wasn't the third EC Game supposed to become a 3D-Game in the fashion of Virtua Fighter?
I think so. But I personally prefer the game from a 2D perspective tbh. That and I can't do 3D modeling so this will have to do. But yeah, I've got info from Mike Latham regarding the Final Chapter's Story, Chaos Eternal Champion (the series' real enemy. Dark EC's part of the balance and needs to live as a result. Chaos is the real cause of the imbalance.) and some of the gameplay features. Still learning the identities of the Infernal Champions but Mike said that many of them are connected to the deaths of the heroes.

Quote:If you can send me your captured sprites, i will update the Raven sheet and upload it again. Yeah, i didn't have the time to unlock all the secret characters.
It's cool man. I understand completely. There actually are cheats to unlock the characters, in addition to the normal method. But I completely understand.
Quote:Sorry, but as much as i would like to help you on that, i am currently busy ripping from Clayfighter. Besides that, i took a break from Eternal Champions. You see, in the end, it became a real chore to finish the sheet, like using different emulators, adjusting palettes, comparing screenshots and so on. Right now i'm not sure if i will rip another Fighter from that Game, but i have three work-in-progress sheets of the stages (Syrian Desert, Shengo Village and Belgrave Square Labs). I hope, i can finish them anytime soon.
I hear you there. The characters have a ton of animations. According to Mike, the sprite artists struggled with Dark EC's sprites during the Sega CD game's production, though the outcome is impressive if you've saw the spritesheet I ripped. (speaking of which, I need to fix a couple of his animations as they are missing the first frame or so.)

I took a break from ripping the sprites myself. Riptide has this air knife throw which is a bitch to pull off with a standard six button Genesis controller. Need to get a six button arcade stick. Also, thanks for attempting rips of those three stages. You have killed three birds for me and saved some time. Thanks. I hope you finish them. =) I'm dying to see them. Good thing you didn't need to rip Dark EC's Cimmerian Complex Stage since I already did it. That was a little annoying since there were some extra sprites and stuff. The Eternal Champion's stage won't be much better if I get around to ripping it.

Quote:Also thanks a lot for these great Sega tools; you seem to know a lot about Genesis ripping.
Don't mention it. If you have any questions regarding using them, feel free to ask. Wink I'll be glad to help. I just hope you can understand me as I can be a little technical. (though, I try not to be.)

Edit: Here's the secret character voodoo doll sprites for Raven, Maxim:
[Image: ssecretcharactervoodood.png]
I labeled them for organizational purposes. Feel free to remove the labels if need be.

Edit: Also just remembered something about Raven's Sands of Time Vendetta. When used on Trident, you get an a green old man. It'd rip it, but all that really has to be done is applying Trident's pallete to the old man sprites.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - WingWangWao - 04-17-2011

Hey guys, I dunno if you're interested, but I'm trying to rip the sprites from Kinnikuman: Dirty Challenger. I've just barely started on Kinnikuman himself. Sucks though that I absolutely MUST rip these sprites in 2-Player mode, as the controls are TOTALLY FRIGGIN' BROKEN AND UNRESPONSIVE!!!

*ahem* anyway, you can expect some Kinnikuman: Dirty Challenger sprites at some point. *scoff* The sprites are the only good thing about Kinnikuman: Dirty Challenger in my personal opinion

Kind of on subject, for anybody interested in ripping sprites of Diablo from the Arcade version of Primal Rage emulated with MAME, you CAN get his pulverizer move to work. It only works on Talon though. He's the only character in the arcade game that can land his pouncing attack with MAME emulator but only on one character which is Talon. Just thought I'd give you that tip if anybody decides to rip his sprites from the Arcade version in the future.

Darn unemulated protection....

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Maxim - 04-17-2011

Primal Rage would be a interesting game to rip from, but currently it's almost impossible, because you will have to find a way to disable the layers and change the background color. Since there is no such feature in Mame, the only way would be via memory hacking with a program called 'Artmoney' but that kind of tech stuff is beyond my grasp Cry

Ah yeah. Also, got those Voodoo doll sprites for Raven ripped. Their in one of my above posts.
And yes, I know, the backgrounds really take up a lot of time to remove but it can be done. Unfortunately, not everyone is patient enough for that sort of thing, which is understandable. I could probably rip sprites for Genesis and 32X Primal Rage. Though I don't feel like it at the moment. (might try in the future though. =P)

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Ultimecia - 04-17-2011

I saw two tutorials for ripping with MAME (in portuguese).
One of them is using the PCXClean
First clean up the character's first image by editing the palette itself manually and create a palette called (name).act
Then use this command on CMVery Sad PCXCLEAN -c -b -y -t -w *.pcx (name).ACT
The other one...I'm trying to find it again
But I read a very simple way: find inside the rom the background files and then modify them to make it neutral. It works with Martial Masters and Asura Buster (I actually got a modified file of Asura Buster)

On Kawaks there's this great thing called "Action View"
Start the rom, go to NeoGeo Settings>Console
Reset the rom
Go to Game> NeoGeo Settings> Debug Dipswiches and set "All On"
Press F4 and go to the Action View
In "Character" you pick what you want to rip, "PTRN Number" is the action and "Act Count" is the frame itself. The "Judge" option is the CLNS (collision boxes)
I guess the rest depends on how you'd like to proceed, you can either use the in-built Shot Factory or Animget :p

Hmmm. Hey Maxim, I noticed there were a couple stage fatality animations missing for Raven. Notably Senator's stage's Washington Monument impalement Sudden Death, Larcen's Stage's crazed Ticket Booth Lady Sudden Death, and Dawson's stage's Overkill. I can probably rip these though, so no worries man. I'll get these for you. (though not right now. lol. I'm tired and wore out from a long day and want to rest some.)

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Maxim - 04-18-2011

(04-17-2011, 11:33 PM)Glisp Wrote: Hmmm. Hey Maxim, I noticed there were a couple stage fatality animations missing for Raven. Notably Senator's stage's Washington Monument impalement Sudden Death, Larcen's Stage's crazed Ticket Booth Lady Sudden Death, and Dawson's stage's Overkill. I can probably rip these though, so no worries man. I'll get these for you. (though not right now. lol. I'm tired and wore out from a long day and want to rest some.)

I knew that there were some parts missing, but i just assumed no one would notice Tongue. I'd appreciate it, if you can help me out with those missing sprites, so i can add them to the final sheet together with the voodoo-doll sprites you already provided.
I would also like to know more about these aforementioned cheat codes to unlock the secret characters. By 'codes' do you mean something like Game-Genie or certain button combinations?

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Glisp - 04-18-2011

(04-18-2011, 09:07 AM)Maxim Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 11:33 PM)Glisp Wrote: Hmmm. Hey Maxim, I noticed there were a couple stage fatality animations missing for Raven. Notably Senator's stage's Washington Monument impalement Sudden Death, Larcen's Stage's crazed Ticket Booth Lady Sudden Death, and Dawson's stage's Overkill. I can probably rip these though, so no worries man. I'll get these for you. (though not right now. lol. I'm tired and wore out from a long day and want to rest some.)

I knew that there were some parts missing, but i just assumed no one would notice Tongue. I'd appreciate it, if you can help me out with those missing sprites, so i can add them to the final sheet together with the voodoo-doll sprites you already provided.
I would also like to know more about these aforementioned cheat codes to unlock the secret characters. By 'codes' do you mean something like Game-Genie or certain button combinations?

Okay, first off, I want to apologize for making you read everything below. (probably more info than you need but it might be useful in some ways.)

Button combinations. I could probably just give you my back up RAM file or a savestate as well.
http://www.cheatscodesguides.com/sega-cd-cheats/eternal-champions-challenge-from-the-dark-side/

Here are the cheats. They require you to use controller 2 on the Blue results screen that appears after a fight (you can win or lose, doesn't matter, you just need this screen.) You also need six button controller setup enabled for controller 2 as well. The Mode button on the six button controller plays a huge role for these cheats ironically.

There are also three secret character Stages in addition to the other ones, but you can't access these in the duel mode options sadly unless you select 2player and fight the character they're meant for.

There's Senator's Washington DC stage, Blast's Hong Song Delta Stage (actually a remake of MidKnight's EC 1 stage as Blast was slated to appear in the first EC but didn't make the final cut.), and Chin Wo's Stone Monkey Temple Stage, (an enhanced version of Jetta's EC 1 stage. Once again, Chin Wo was a scrapped EC 1 character as well.)

Yappy the Dog shares Senator's Stage, Crispy the Chicken shares Blast's stage (along with playable Dark EC and both playable versions of EC.). In addition, the other secret characters just share stages with the normal 13 playabe characters. Thanatos and Hooter share Xavier's stage, Slither shares a stage with Dawson, and Zuni shares Jetta's stage.

If you start ripping from EC CD again, I recommend the animal characters as they have fewer animations than the human characters, plus, they are unnaffected by any form a of fatality. Fatalities cannot be triggered on them. They can however trigger them on other characters. I've already ripped the sprites for Crispy, and they're on the site for that matter.

The playable version of the Dark Champion and both playable versions of the Eternal, can only be played as in duel mode. So if you unlock them and can't find them on the character select screen, that's why.

Anyway, I think that's all the info, once again, I apologize for making you read all this.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Garamonde - 04-20-2011

Hi! Will you guys accept this? It's not much but I really wanted to help. Genki ^_^;

It's the Training Arena from Super Street Fighter II Turbo for GBA. I'll rip more backgrounds as soon as I can! Smile

[Image: imSNmo.png]

There's already a section BTW.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Garamonde - 04-24-2011

Another SSF2T BG for ya guys, the U.S.A. Arena!

[Image: iliVQA.png]

Hopefully I'll get something else ripped tomorrow but I can't guarantee. Oh and happy Easter to everybody! Smile

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Yawackhary - 04-25-2011

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Genesis)
[Image: wCElL.png]

[Image: K86Fw.png]

Like the rest of the Genesis pirated fighting games, can't rip the fighters due to that they seem unrippable at the moment even though it is novel to have a Lord of the Rings fighting game.

Also a new version of Jang Pung 2 has been dumped (but not yet released, as soon as it does though I'll be right on it) that has two new fighters replacing Guile and M. Bison as well as name changes on the existing characters to seem "more original" even though it is still a rip off of Street Fighter 2.

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Ton - 04-25-2011

Nice job! Who are the fighters in the LotR game?

RE: Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games - Mr. C - 04-25-2011

Houngan sprite sheet production update! Day 9: Things are comeing along right on schedule. So far, I seem to have only hit one major snag.
Um, and that is that... I... um... haven't finished the Houngan sheet yet....

BUT! Before you start throwing full wine bottles at your computer screen, let me offer this as a cop-out: fresh from the SNES, I present to you... Tuff E Nuff!

[Image: H5rBN.png]
Fighters
[Image: 7D9iE.png][Image: dt4dY.png][Image: HsdSI.png][Image: lbiVl.png]

...Pretty much everything I said up there was taken from here.

But seriously, sorry about the lack of Houngan (or any ClayFighter character, for that matter) in this update. I just haven't finished it yet. I'm working on it, but he just may be my hardest one yet! When I finish it, it will be here.