The VG Resource
Just stuff. - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Spriting and Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-14.html)
+----- Thread: Just stuff. (/thread-16651.html)

Pages: 1 2

Just stuff. - Speed-X - 02-14-2011

As goes for pixel art in general, I have quite a bit of it, but why bother posting it all, anyways? *shrug*

This one thread at Pokecommunity inspired me to try pixel overs again for some odd reason. Nonetheless, I give you Oshawott.
[Image: xktx0w.png]
It's a Ken Sugimori pixel over...omglol liek so ttly original rite?!?
Yes, very unoriginal choice. XD I'm not really going for pose "pizazz" and whatnot, I'm just paying attention to the pixel art itself.
And yes, colors from the DS game, Pokemon Black and White, are probably rather inaccurate choices for colors. I was going for something a little different than just using the Sugimori colors, perhaps, and I wished to work with color limitations a little bit. However, I might make recolored and spruced up copies of these with a more Sugimori-esque palette just for kicks.

Sorry, I tend to like to ramble. Cute Anyways, feedback would be great.
To be honest, the shell has been constantly bugging me. As of now, I'll see what I can do about it myself, but if anyone has any points about the shell that you think I need to fix, please feel free to post them. Needless to say, don't just limit feedback to the shell if something else bugs you.

I'm working on Dewott / Futachimaru as I post this up.

RE: Just stuff. - Sengir - 02-14-2011

Pretty smooth stuff, though I think the problem with the shell is that it looks pointy on one side.

RE: Just stuff. - Proton - 02-14-2011

Why are you tracing exactly?

Pixel overs aren't pixel art.
It's just tracing and nothing else.

RE: Just stuff. - Speed-X - 02-14-2011

Sengir: Thanks. Yeah, good point, actually. :3 I'll see what I can do about it.

Proton: Ask that to some of the other amazing pixel artists who have done very nice pixel overs in the past. *shrug* In other words, I don't know. No justified reason.
Perhaps I'm bored? Perhaps...by choice? Don't get the wrong idea, though--I don't just stick to nothing but pixel overs or anything.
Quote:Pixel overs aren't pixel art.
And I find your argument rather biased, however. Technically, actual carbon-copy tracing would consist of basically copying the entire existing image down in some way so more than just the lineart looks identical to the original piece. Well, perhaps that's exaggerating a bit, but nonetheless: the word "tracing" tends to be a little overlooked / overrated. For instance, with your argument, one could take it the wrong way and assume that you also mean "tracing your own artwork is not art," hypothetically.
After all, whether you "trace" over someone else's existing artwork or your own, it's still "tracing."

Not trying to start a fight, I just see some holes in your point.

RE: Just stuff. - Chris2Balls [:B] - 02-14-2011

i don't understand this, but that's probably due to me listening to some epic music very loudly.

RE: Just stuff. - Sengir - 02-14-2011

(02-14-2011, 03:53 PM)Proton Wrote: Why are you tracing exactly?

Pixel overs aren't pixel art.

Everyone starts somewhere. I looked at the original Sugimori art and there are differences. This could be good for Jirachi to practice anti-aliasing and shading.

RE: Just stuff. - Proton - 02-14-2011

(02-14-2011, 04:09 PM)Jirachi_the_Chao Wrote: Proton: Ask that to some of the other amazing pixel artists who have done very nice pixel overs in the past. *shrug* In other words, I don't know. No justified reason.

If you consider pixel overs amazing, then I doubt how amazing the other pixel artists you're talking about are.

(02-14-2011, 04:09 PM)Jirachi_the_Chao Wrote: Perhaps I'm bored? Perhaps...by choice? Don't get the wrong idea, though--I don't just stick to nothing but pixel overs or anything.
Spriting and Pixel Art Wrote:This here is the forum in which you post your custom sprites and pixel art.
Doesn't fly like that.

(02-14-2011, 04:09 PM)Jirachi_the_Chao Wrote:
Quote:Pixel overs aren't pixel art.
And I find your argument rather biased, however. Technically, actual carbon-copy tracing would consist of basically copying the entire existing image down in some way so more than just the lineart looks identical to the original piece. Well, perhaps that's exaggerating a bit, but nonetheless: the word "tracing" tends to be a little overlooked / overrated.
Uhh, no.
This is too obviously Ken Sugawhatever's Oshawott drawing.

You didn't draw the Oshawatt you pixeled over,
thus,
it's tracing.

Segnir Wrote:Everyone starts somewhere. I looked at the original Sugimori art and there are differences. This could be good for Jirachi to practice anti-aliasing and shading.

What I don't get is why the Ken pic wasn't used as a ref, and you know,
made in a way that isn't a small child's drawing technique.

At least using it as a ref would help you learn how the image can be achieved.
(02-14-2011, 04:09 PM)Jirachi_the_Chao Wrote: For instance, with your argument, one could take it the wrong way and assume that you also mean "tracing your own artwork is not art," hypothetically.
After all, whether you "trace" over someone else's existing artwork or your own, it's still "tracing."
herpderderp.
Yeah, because when that artist drew the image they're tracing,
it's still their drawing.
Still their art.

Where you get the idea tracing the work of someone else is a good idea, I don't know.

tl;dr
Instead of tracing, draw freehand from a ref.
It's much better for learning and you accomplish much more,
which is a satisfying feeling.

And if you have so much other stuff, why not post the custom other stuff?

Where you can see where you went wrong in the creation (of an actual sprite/pixel art piece) process.

RE: Just stuff. - Vipershark - 02-14-2011

the stigma against pixel overs is bullshit, just saying
it's not like he's trying to claim it as his own or anything; he very clearly stated that he KNOWS it's a trace and wants opinions on it and is only doing it for practice

just give him some fucking C+C without whining about tracing and move on

Sengir: Wait. Hold on a second.

Sorry, I guess you guys are getting the wrong idea from this. I'm not necessarily a "beginner" so-to-speak, but I just wanted to clarify that.
But, yeah, I am kinda using this for shading practice, and as I mentioned, working with color limits on a larger scale.

Proton: I thought we could argue about just a little this more maturely, but whatever. I'm sorry, but I don't feel obliged to argue with you in such a childish manner. Nonetheless, I do see your point, yes. However, we all need a "break" so-to-speak, at times. I'm just using this to practice with certain aspects. Besides, does it really seem like I'm taking this pixel-over so very seriously?
Well, yes, maybe I am asking for feedback and the like, so maybe that could be taken as "taking this pixel/art/over seriously", or something along those lines; but nonetheless, it's just that I'd like to see the errors that other people see that I probably don't.
And okay, maybe you see the fact that it's a pixel over as an error. But, hey, that's good with me, I'm not angry at you or gonna hold a grudge against you or anything silly like that. After all, you're entitled to your opinion, and on the other hand, I am as well. And I can respect that. Cute

In other words, I like to pixel for the fun of it. And if you don't like the fact that it's a pixel over (or anyone else, at that), then it's all good. *shrugs* It doesn't necessarily matter too much to me. However, what does matter to me is if we can do what Vipershark suggested: move on.

Vipershark: Perfectly worded. XD Thanks.

could you explain all of this please, i don't understand what you've done. Smile

Okay. So I posted a pixel over of Oshawott, and I'm just wanting a little bit of feedback / C+C, even though I'm fully aware it's a pixel over and all.
Proton, while I'm not spiting him for it, gets a little...*trying to think of a word for it*...eh...well, I guess you could say he digressed a little bit or something, posting up his argument which was vaguely worded, so I point at a few holes in it. He snaps a little bit, then I'm basically, "whatever, it's your opinion so whatever floats your boat, I just don't wish to argue over something so silly."
Something like that.

Eh...unless that's not what you were asking?

Anyhoo, I feel as if I'm obliged to post some kind of update because of how this thread has digressed like so.
[Image: o72a07.png]
Fixed the shell, and it looks a little better.

Working on giving it colors more like the Sugimori art for aesthetic purposes, then I'll continue on Dewott.
Even though I sound like I'm updating a Twitter blog or something, lolz.

RE: Just stuff. - Hoeloe - 02-14-2011

Tracing is useful for one thing and one thing only: colour/shading practice.

Creating a finished piece of artwork by tracing could actually be considered a breach of copyright, considering it is less than 80% different (or whatever the boundary for artistic license is officially).

(02-14-2011, 05:00 PM)Jirachi_the_Chao Wrote: Okay. So I posted a pixel over of Oshawott, and I'm just wanting a little bit of feedback / C+C, even though I'm fully aware it's a pixel over and all.
Proton, while I'm not spiting him for it, gets a little...*trying to think of a word for it*...eh...well, I guess you could say he digressed a little bit or something, posting up his argument which was vaguely worded, so I point at a few holes in it. He snaps a little bit, then I'm basically, "whatever, it's your opinion so whatever floats your boat, I just don't wish to argue over something so silly."
Something like that.

Eh...unless that's not what you were asking?

Anyhoo, I feel as if I'm obliged to post some kind of update because of how this thread has digressed like so.
[Image: o72a07.png]
Fixed the shell, and it looks a little better.

Working on giving it colors more like the Sugimori art for aesthetic purposes, then I'll continue on Dewott.
Even though I sound like I'm updating a Twitter blog or something, lolz.
i don't understand... is it a recolour?

Pretty much.

It honestly depends on the company's copyright terms and whatnot, or just the original artist's wishes.
But to be honest, at times I don't see why copyright infringement laws (the ones that state that it is illegal to edit existing artwork or trace over it) even exist anymore--no one cares enough to really enforce them, it seems.
DeviantART, for example. "Frankenedits" (or just any edits in general, for instance, any edit of an official pokemon sprite or something) are a common sight, and despite the FAQ being against it, even when you report said deviations they're taken with a low priority. (I've reported...about thirty of those and only one got taken down so far.)

And I see people make profits off of artwork of characters who are "protected" by an official copyright license, it seems.

Why copyright laws contradict what people actually tend to enforce completely escapes me, besides the fact that edits and the like are pretty much a force beyond reckoning. That, and false assumptions could be made, I guess.

But I digress.

Chris2Balls: Nah. Pixel over of Sugimori's artwork of Oshawott. *shrug*

i'm asking you to define a pixel over, all i'm seeing is the same sprite but with different colours.