The VG Resource
A Place for new Spriters - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Spriting and Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-14.html)
+----- Thread: A Place for new Spriters (/thread-15954.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: A Place for new Spriters - Koopaul - 12-14-2010

Well why does one bother to rip then? A good portion of those rips are useless because no one is going to use them ever. So why bother?

RE: A Place for new Spriters - Proton - 12-14-2010

(12-14-2010, 06:04 PM)Koopaul Wrote: Well why does one bother to rip then? A good portion of those rips are useless because no one is going to use them ever. So why bother?
What makes you think a custom does differently?
You think everyone will use every custom?

Someone would sprite a character.
Someone would rip a game.
Someone would use the stuff.
Someone wouldn't.

But you know this isn't going anywhere.

Instead of arguing why someone would do something unrelated, how about arguing about the New Spriter section?

Just bringing up "I want more in the Custom sections" has nothing to do with a new spriter.

Why would a new section for spriters involve sheet submission?
You won't get many good sheets, if any sheets worth, in a newbie section.

RE: A Place for new Spriters - ThePortalGuru - 12-14-2010

(12-14-2010, 06:04 PM)Koopaul Wrote: Well why does one bother to rip then? A good portion of those rips are useless because no one is going to use them ever. So why bother?

You'd be surprised. People from Newgrounds stop by EXTENSIVELY to get sprites for their crappy flash animations. Where do you think the sprites from Super Mario Broz Z. came from? Super Mario 63? Countless other Mario games/movies? Probably from here.

RE: A Place for new Spriters - Koopaul - 12-14-2010

No I'm talking about things like this: http://spriters-resource.com/gameboy/batcity/sheet/7751

Who the hell is going to use that?

Erm but you're right Protron I got off topic. I'm sorry about that.

RE: A Place for new Spriters - LeleleleMAXIMUM - 12-15-2010

I just see custom work as two things:
1. you want to support the site by improving custom content
2. it feels great to see someone use your work

then again, there is a drawback to #2. imagine having your work used in a bad/stupid way. Imagine how Ahruon feels every time he sees crappy recolors of his SSBB sprites - and i've seen quite a lot.

and sure sprites in galleries are useful; they help you get a job.

RE: A Place for new Spriters - Cobalt Blue - 12-16-2010

(12-14-2010, 11:58 PM)Koopaul Wrote: No I'm talking about things like this: http://spriters-resource.com/gameboy/batcity/sheet/7751

Who the hell is going to use that?

funfact: i did.

RE: A Place for new Spriters - Iceman404 - 12-20-2010

@Koopaul:
Gotta rip em' all bro!

RE: A Place for new Spriters - SKELTON S. SKELETON - 12-20-2010

i've always seen ripping as more of an archival thing, the same way there are websites dedicated to preserving old game booklets and feelies and stuff.
you'll have to excuse my lowercase syntax it's the only way i can retain my dry ironic wit, but ripping sprites is akin to archiving art.
certainly some of it's not very good, but i cant count how many times ive heard of pixelartists coming to a site like TSR for inspiration instead of a regular art community

RE: A Place for new Spriters - StarSock64 - 12-20-2010

I would totally submit customs if it didn't take me ten hours to make a single pose

RE: A Place for new Spriters - Vipershark - 12-20-2010

(12-20-2010, 05:14 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: I would totally submit customs if i could make customs

fixed for me

RE: A Place for new Spriters - Elk - 12-20-2010

(12-20-2010, 04:41 AM)KOJJIRO Wrote: i've always seen ripping as more of an archival thing, the same way there are websites dedicated to preserving old game booklets and feelies and stuff.
you'll have to excuse my lowercase syntax it's the only way i can retain my dry ironic wit, but ripping sprites is akin to archiving art.
certainly some of it's not very good, but i cant count how many times ive heard of pixelartists coming to a site like TSR for inspiration instead of a regular art community

I came here because I thought there was a pixel community...why would I need inspiration...

RE: A Place for new Spriters - Gors - 12-21-2010

(12-20-2010, 07:58 PM)Elk Wrote: why would I need inspiration...

4-thanked it so I could 4-unthank it

Artists need inspiration. Therefore you aren't an artist. At all.

Everything you do, be it music, drawings, poem, etc. are inspired by something else. You don't create something from nothing. Notice that inspiration is not copying the source.

Sometimes I wonder how can you, a professional-tier pixel artist, say unpolished stuff like that.

RE: A Place for new Spriters - Maxpphire - 12-21-2010

(12-20-2010, 07:58 PM)Elk Wrote:
(12-20-2010, 04:41 AM)KOJJIRO Wrote: i've always seen ripping as more of an archival thing, the same way there are websites dedicated to preserving old game booklets and feelies and stuff.

I came here because I thought there was a pixel community...why would I need inspiration...

IMO Without insperation there is no meaning to your art and art without meaning isn't art. Doesn't matter if that meaning is only for you to know or if you make it plain as day so everyone knows.

(12-21-2010, 06:32 PM)Gors٫ Gors٫ Gors٫ Gors Wrote:
(12-20-2010, 07:58 PM)Elk Wrote: why would I need inspiration...

4-thanked it so I could 4-unthank it

Artists need inspiration. Therefore you aren't an artist. At all.

Everything you do, be it music, drawings, poem, etc. are inspired by something else. You don't create something from nothing. Notice that inspiration is not copying the source.

Sometimes I wonder how can you, a professional-tier pixel artist, say unpolished stuff like that.

I agree with this post and god damnit gorsal, I swear I'm gonna change your name.

Also my insperations include Music, Matt, Friends, tSR, and things of that nature.

RE: A Place for new Spriters - Cobalt Blue - 12-23-2010

i dont get inspiration from tsr either, i have other sources for that purpose.

i'm here at tsr due the community. is that me rewording what elk said? ope. its me saying exactly what elk said.

RE: A Place for new Spriters - Chutzpar - 12-23-2010

Um
isn't it sort of contradicting to say that you're not here for inspiration and then to say that you're here for the community?

Inspiration isn't necessarily the LIGHTNING BOLT: SUDDENLY I AM PRODUCTIVE thing, really. If you're bouncing ideas off of people and getting feedback, surely that's inspiration in the strictest sense?

Moreover, maybe you don't personally get inspiration from the sheets posted on the main site, but nobody works in a vacuum, and it is imperative to understand what's gone before if you want to excel in any medium -- as well as, of course, keeping tabs on what's currently being produced, both in the main 'market' and from amateur artists / freelancers. Not just that- communicating with other artists is probably THE MOST IMPORTANT THING as regards inspiration and productivity - as nebulous as the former is.

Being a draw...er more than a spriter I can't say I get much out of the main site really, I get most of my inspiring stuff from Deviantart (of all places) and tumblr (OF ALL PLACES) but is there really much point in arguing over the inspirational merit of something, when what inspires you and what drives you to create is utterly subjective?

I'll see a photo of an abandoned warehouse and it makes me feel like drawing awesome dystopian decay and broken robots and sexy zombie ladies, other people will just see an abandoned warehouse. It's ultimately a personal thing, so it's ridiculous to even attempt to discuss it or stick your nose up in the air about how I don't need this, silly children *smokes pipe*.