The VG Resource
Official Team Fortress 2012 Lounge - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+------ Forum: Team Fortress 2 (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-99.html)
+------ Thread: Official Team Fortress 2012 Lounge (/thread-10206.html)

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Keychain - 02-09-2011

people rarely complain about hats as far as i'm concerned because it doesn't take an einstein to know weapons and balances are more important

yes sometimes some things will come up and that's because some of the hats don't fit the game as much as people would like. anyone who says hats ruined the game are idiots because that's just not true. if tf2 were to be ruined it would be valve's fault for letting it happen. i don't mind the mann co. store, i don't mind the hats, i don't mind trading. but what i do mind is the lack of polish and effort valve seems to be putting into these updates.

and the first promotion i was to ever hate was the most recent one because the items don't have a place in tf2, and you have to pay 50 dollars for some stupid MMO with a monthly fee. but yeah, i still play tf2 because i still enjoy the game in general

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Cobalt Blue - 02-10-2011

Team Fortress 2's Style Guidelines(From the contribution page) Wrote:* Keeping the visual style consistent is important, in that we don't want anything out of theme or out of date. TF is a stylized world set some time in the 50's. Nothing modern, visually hyper-realistic, or overly "cartoony."
* Maintain character personality as much as possible with items. Hats should maintain the character personality of the wearer (heavy ushanka, scout batter's helmet, etc.)

isnt even about game balance. its something than hooked even more players in the first place, and its was tf2's unique desing and visual style. it certainly doesnt affect gameplay(to an extent, ignoring character "packs")

valve suddenly nailed it with the degree of vanity inside some players. can't deny that the whole "tf2 at $3" did nothing but increase the user pool - and therefore turning stuff being sold at steam not as tie ins to tf2, but rather tf2 as a tie in to said games.

mean, until the engineer update we were all excited and intrigued as to what wuld happen, lurked on to the secrets of what was going to be shown and how they managed to print some backstory into whats an already wacky nonsense. we had comics, videos, puzzles and even secret pages. nowdays at most we can hope for a blog post and sale.

its quite a huge turn off for anyone who saw in this game a refreshing breeze in terms of first person shooters.

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Phantom Killah - 02-10-2011

(02-10-2011, 12:06 AM)Fuchikoma Wrote:
Team Fortress 2's Style Guidelines(From the contribution page) Wrote:* Keeping the visual style consistent is important, in that we don't want anything out of theme or out of date. TF is a stylized world set some time in the 50's. Nothing modern, visually hyper-realistic, or overly "cartoony."
* Maintain character personality as much as possible with items. Hats should maintain the character personality of the wearer (heavy ushanka, scout batter's helmet, etc.)

isnt even about game balance. its something than hooked even more players in the first place, and its was tf2's unique desing and visual style. it certainly doesnt affect gameplay(to an extent, ignoring character "packs")

valve suddenly nailed it with the degree of vanity inside some players. can't deny that the whole "tf2 at $3" did nothing but increase the user pool - and therefore turning stuff being sold at steam not as tie ins to tf2, but rather tf2 as a tie in to said games.

mean, until the engineer update we were all excited and intrigued as to what wuld happen, lurked on to the secrets of what was going to be shown and how they managed to print some backstory into whats an already wacky nonsense. we had comics, videos, puzzles and even secret pages. nowdays at most we can hope for a blog post and sale.

its quite a huge turn off for anyone who saw in this game a refreshing breeze in terms of first person shooters.

this pretty much sums it up

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Lemonray - 03-11-2011

Ooh, look, even more promotional items.

I tried to craft that Kunai, but I got a Your Eternal Reward instead. Damn crafting system.

...Does anyone have a spare Kunai for trade? Sad

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Kairos - 03-11-2011

(03-11-2011, 10:35 AM)Le Party Phantom Wrote: Ooh, look, even more promotional items.

I tried to craft that Kunai, but I got a Your Eternal Reward instead. Damn crafting system.

...Does anyone have a spare Kunai for trade? Sad

First of the Kunai is terrible, why would you even want it?

Secondly, you can't trade any of the new items until the game's out, pretty sure that means you can't craft them either.

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Lemonray - 03-11-2011

(03-11-2011, 10:55 AM)Rags Wrote: pretty sure that means you can't craft them either.

I guess /v/ lied then. Oh well :/

Edit: Apparently, they are craftable, just not yet tradeable. Some people have had them drop also. I suppose I'll have to wait a few days for mine, then, since I'm not going to risk crafting another YER.

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Vipershark - 03-11-2011

so are the other "meet the X" updates never coming out, or what

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Skink - 03-11-2011

(03-11-2011, 03:21 PM)Vipershark Wrote: so are the other "meet the X" updates never coming out, or what

No, valve is just gonna make more promotional items

and keep getting more money

and more money

(I seriously think they stopped caring about characters/meet the team shit all together and focused on fattening their wallets)

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Rosencrantz - 03-11-2011

Which is such a bummer, since I want to enjoy this game (just got into the Saxton Hale mod), but seeing people spamming trade offers and seeing ridiculously colored hats (the first set of paints were okay, since some of them still had that faded tint that went along with the game) and all that just kills me. And the beta TF2 just isn't the same, really : (

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Lemonray - 03-12-2011

(03-11-2011, 03:21 PM)Vipershark Wrote: so are the other "meet the X" updates never coming out, or what

I've heard that meet the Medic is finished, but they're keeping it under lock and key for whatever reason.

Quote:(I seriously think they stopped caring about characters/meet the team shit all together and focused on fattening their wallets)

I've had this feeling for the past couple of months, too. Why else would they be charging five pounds for some of the hats? Even a quarter of that would be pushing it. I can't belive I've actually bought hats and keys from that damn store.

And charging for more backpack space, which is infinite anyway, so you're really just paying to see the extra items you've already found?

At this stage I wouldn't be suprised if meet the medic was released as an in-store item.

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Saltonara - 03-12-2011

I would never spend 20 dollars on a single fucking hat.

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Cobalt Blue - 03-12-2011

people is selling unusual hats for $200+ as we speak

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Rosencrantz - 03-13-2011

I'd feel bad if I sold a hat for two hundred dollars, because then I'd feel as if the person who is willing to shell out the money either a) comes from a rich family (and then I'd feel bad for the parents for catering to the little asshole's every whim), or b) has a mental problem and puts too much of their lives into a video game.

: (

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Kitsu - 03-13-2011

Whatever. Who cares?

In an effort to make this post not spam, I want to ask if there are still serious servers out there. Whenever I get my other computer fixed/get another computer altogether, will TF2 still be worth my time? Is all the annoying shit that's been flying around lately make it not worth it? Do you guys still enjoy playing at least enough to actually spend any considerable amount of time playing TF2?

RE: Official "whatever who cares" Fortress 2 Lounge - Rosencrantz - 03-13-2011

I'm not really sure how to word my answer, so here goes:

you will see all the annoying shit, from obnoxious hats to trade spammers, but there are servers out there that ban spammers and there are mods to remove hats. There are some very serious servers out there (eGo, despite being known for its uptight attitude, is a surprisingly mature server), and once you track some down you can favorite them.

I still find TF2 fun on occassion, but my motivation to play has dropped considerably since the Mann-Conomy Update rolled out. I've hit my limit in jump server skill, where I can do everything except wall-pogoing and I can't seem to improve it. I don't find Dodgeball fun anymore. Prop Hunt was enjoyable for a month but then I found the gimmick to run dry. If I go on at all, it's either for some mindless 2fort or Payload, or for some Saxton Hale.