The VG Resource
POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+------ Forum: Pokemon (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-69.html)
+------ Thread: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED (/thread-22294.html)

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Garamonde - 09-21-2013

I love Amaura because it's so cute and Aurorus is elegant in the sense like Dragonair. The T-rexes are okay but T-rexes in general are overrated IMO (inb4 angry swarm) and I think it'll be a bit too popular while everyone dislikes the other one.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Ton - 09-21-2013

*angry swarm*

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Koh - 09-22-2013

(09-21-2013, 02:42 PM)Axle the Red Wrote: I love Amaura because it's so cute and Aurorus is elegant in the sense like Dragonair. The T-rexes are okay but T-rexes in general are overrated IMO (inb4 angry swarm) and I think it'll be a bit too popular while everyone dislikes the other one.
To be fair, the design is okay and all. It's just a TRex though xD. It's not as unique as Chespin and its Evo to me; I like Chespin because it ISN'T just one specific thing, as well as being cute. It's like a hybrid between a chestnut, a hedgehog, an armadillo and a gopher. You can't look at it and be like "It's this animal!" because it won't match up with just one thing. The TRex...is just a TRex, so...the only thing original about it is its "kingly" design =x. Take that away, and you just get a TRex. IMHO, Chespin is more of a Pokemon than the TRex is.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Gwen - 09-22-2013

Since when do pokemon have to stray dramatically from what influences them? By that logic, Seviper is just a bland unoriginal design because it's *just* a snake...
Or that Noctowl is somehow not that original since it's obviously an owl.
I could go on for hours.
I get the feeling you're not complaining but that post still irks me immensely because of how wrong that statement is.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - TomGuycott - 09-22-2013

What I like about the sort of kingly aspects of the T-rex is the fact that Rex is Latin for king, so they are kind of using that aspect, but not directly calling it a king, but something synonymous with one.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Koh - 09-22-2013

(09-22-2013, 11:43 AM)Gwen Wrote: Since when do pokemon have to stray dramatically from what influences them? By that logic, Seviper is just a bland unoriginal design because it's *just* a snake...
Or that Noctowl is somehow not that original since it's obviously an owl.
I could go on for hours.
I get the feeling you're not complaining but that post still irks me immensely because of how wrong that statement is.
I'm not complaining, but I have always felt this way, yes. I never said the TRex was the only one either. Although I like how cute Gligar is, it IS just a scorpion with wings, and Ekans and Arbok are really just snakes, etc. Pikachu's original enough, since although it is a mouse, one could also think it was an electric cat at first glance, or a hamster. I'm not saying the direct Pokemon shouldn't exist, but rather could have been taken further in their design to really set them apart, like Chespin or some other Pokemon like Girafarig or Xatu. Since the whole series is about creatures with magical, somehow nonlethal powers, they could at least look more customized, you know?

That said, there are bland designs in every generation, so Gen VI is naturally going to have them too.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Kriven - 09-22-2013

Gligar really doesn't scream "scorpion" to me, because he isn't bug-like at all. He's more like a flying monkey with some scorpion bits, really.

I don't really see where you're going with this. That the T-Rex should be in Fossil Fighters instead of Pokemon?

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Marth - 09-22-2013

I don't see what's wrong with simple designs or ones that mimic real world animals more closely. There are so many creative things you can do by stylizing real world animals, and I happen to think T-Rex design great as it is. Pokemon was never about mashing together parts of different animals, or being 100% off the wall. It was about battling monsters that made stylized references to real world objects and animals.

That's what made it cool as a kid, at least to my friends and I. We could be like "oh that thing looks like this thing. That's so cool how they gave it super powers". Meanwhile things like Groudon seemed too vague and we barely cared for it. I know taste in aesthetics is subjective, but there was just something cool and there will always be something cool about pokemon making real world references in most of its designs.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Baegal - 09-22-2013

I love the T-Rex king thing going on. It just works REALLY WELL.
Tyrant + Tyrannosaurus + little = Tyrunt. PERFECT name that translated well!
Tyrant + Tyrannosaurus + tantrum = Tyrantrum. Yes yes yes catchy and pronounceable : D

I often find myself liking Pokemon a lot because of the unique origins they have, rather than how many things are mixed together. Farfetch'd is just a Duck with a leek, but mixing it with other things would ruin it's purpose.
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species:_Farfetch%27d
Pokemon like Glalie, Scrafty, Farfetch'd, Shuppet, and Banette really only made it into my favorites because I thought they had creative, clever conceptons.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Koopaul - 09-24-2013

So I've been thinking. You know that scary tree Pokemon Orrotto or whatever its caled? I think it might be the evolution of Sudowoodo. Why? Because in one of the videos where they show it in swarms, there is a Sudowoodo amongst them if you look carefully. Why wood would there be a Sudowoodo in the group unless they were somehow related?

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - NICKtendo DS - 09-24-2013

There was also a Miltank among a swarm (more like a herd) of Tauros. Sudowoodo might be there because of similarity.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Chaoxys - 09-24-2013

(09-24-2013, 12:14 AM)Koopaul Wrote: So I've been thinking. You know that scary tree Pokemon Orrotto or whatever its caled? I think it might be the evolution of Sudowoodo. Why? Because in one of the videos where they show it in swarms, there is a Sudowoodo amongst them if you look carefully. Why wood would there be a Sudowoodo in the group unless they were somehow related?

Why would Sudowoodo, a pokemon that imitates trees by hiding among them, be among a group of tree pokemon? Idk, it's a mystery for the ages.But no, I don't think they are related, I think it's just because they are similar and that it fits wish what Sudowoodo does.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Neoriceisgood - 09-24-2013

Tyrantrum is awesome, it has a beard.

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - Koh - 09-24-2013

The beard means nothing. If Garbodor or Vanilluxe had a beard, that wouldn't make them more interesting xD. Now, if they had dreadlocks....

RE: POKEMON GEN 6 ANNOUNCED - NICKtendo DS - 09-24-2013

(09-24-2013, 12:02 PM)Koh Wrote: The beard means nothing. If Garbodor or Vanilluxe had a beard, that wouldn't make them more interesting xD. Now, if they had dreadlocks....

The beard means status. Tyrantrum's a king after all.